4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Iím running Windows XP Pro, SP2 on an HP d4100e computer.

I replaced my nVidia GeForce 6600 video card (256MB onboard memory) with an ATI Radeon HD4650 video card (1GB onboard memory). After installing the Radeon drivers and re-booting, Iíve completely lost all audio on my PC (including the volume icon in the systray).

Now I get a ďFound New Hardware PCI DeviceĒ dialog window, and a wizard starts and tries to install the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio, then says it canít find the driver, and asks for the CD with the driver. I have no such CD.

So, why did I lose my audio?

How can I install the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio?

Will this allow me to recover my audio?

How can I recover my systray volume icon?

Please help, Iím totally at a loss.

Thank you.

Thanks
    Go to Device Manager and write down the audio info, then go to the manufacturers site to see if drivers are available. Also, many PC manufacturers have device drivers on their site. Worth checking there as well. HP site.

It does sound as though the graphics card has disrupted your sound. I would also check the ATI Radeon site (same graphics card that I have except laptop mobil version) for drivers. ATI site.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    Also, many PC manufacturers have device drivers on their site. Worth checking there as well. HP site.
    Ted, the HP site wont help, as his PC now has a different Video card.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Les Feinstein View Post
    Iím running Windows XP Pro, SP2 on an HP d4100e computer.

I replaced my nVidia GeForce 6600 video card (256MB onboard memory) with an ATI Radeon HD4650 video card (1GB onboard memory). After installing the Radeon drivers and re-booting, Iíve completely lost all audio on my PC (including the volume icon in the systray).

Now I get a ďFound New Hardware PCI DeviceĒ dialog window, and a wizard starts and tries to install the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio, then says it canít find the driver, and asks for the CD with the driver. I have no such CD.

So, why did I lose my audio?

How can I install the Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio?

Will this allow me to recover my audio?

How can I recover my systray volume icon?

Please help, Iím totally at a loss.

Thank you.
    use device doctor its free

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks all for your replies.

Ted, I did use the latest drivers from the ATI site when I installed the card. I have since learned that this particular card is also a sound card, so it must have disabled my onboard sound. But apparently it didn't actually replace it, and I can't figure out how to do make it work. Nothing in the literature that came with the card mentioned this.

In any case, it's now a moot point. I ran some benchmark tests on the new card (using Passmark's Performance Test 6.1), and compared them to my old card. End result is that there was no net performance increase with my new card (3D benchmarks were much faster, but the 2D benchmarks were much slower). Since I'm not a gamer, the 3D performance is not particularly useful to me. Also, I got so frustrated with the audio problems caused by the new card that I removed it and reinstalled the old card. A return to the restore point I created prior to installing the new card brought my system back to normal (I LOVE restore points!). The new card gets returned today.

Again, thanks for your reply.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Just for future reference or for those who want or need to keep the new graphics card, many of them (especially the ATI/AMD HD series) carry the integrated audio support now for Display Port or for HDMI. If everything goes correctly in the install and the audio subsystem that was there is disturbed, its not gone, its just been replaced as the default audio.

To get the audio back in XP go to control panel>>Sounds and Audio devices>>Audio and under Sound Playback the default device will probably say something like ATI HD Audio. In the drop down there should also be a listing for the old audio subsystem (like Realtek HD Audio for instance). Switch it over and restart the playback apps and you are good to go.

There is also a place to tic under Volume so that the volume icon returns to the taskbar; sometimes you have to cycle it to get it to appear again (if it already has a tic).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Ted, the HP site wont help, as his PC now has a different Video card.
    Yes that is correct for the video card however the audio remains unchanged so the audio drivers from HP may help.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Byron, as far as I can tell from talking with Microcenter tech support and a couple of knowledgeable salesmen, your explanation and solution is correct. However, how does that explain the "Found New hardware" dialog and the search for the "Microsoft UAA Bus Driver for High Definition Audio"? This came up AFTER the video driver was installed and the card was outputting good graphics to my monitor. This appears to have been a bad installation.

Anyway, the card is back in its old home on the shelf for a more patient and tech-savvy person to deal with.