Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I posted a similar question a few years ago about creating a list in a letter merge. That post is closed and this post is slightly different.
    I am creating a school phone directory and have the data stored in Access. The key is FamilyID which can have multiple students assigned thereto.
    I used to use a report which listed a block of text noting LastName, Student Name- Grade- Class, Parents,Address, email, phone etc.
    The Student Name information was a subreport so that families with multiple students were listed for each FamilyID
    I've created a word mail merge and can get the student info to populate but only at the end of the address block. When I try to move it below LastName, the family information is repeated for each student.

FamilyID is the unique ID, but LastName is what has to appear in the directory.

Attached is a sample data file and the word document with merge codes.
    Thanks for any help you can offer!

Amy
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi Amy,

Check out the current version of my Microsoft Word Catalogue/Directory Mailmerge Tutorial, in Post 731107. I've updated it since we last discussed the problem of having text before & after the repeated data, and the tutorial now shows how you can achieve this.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul
    Thanks for your reply. I tried, to no avail, to try and match my scenario with your tutorial. Can you look at my document and tell me where I am falling short? I think part of my problem is that the key is FamilyID but I am using Last Name in the document. I have 1000 students and many families with the same name.
    The format shoud be
    Last Name
    Students (repeating info)
    Parents
    Addres
    Phone
    email
    etc.

Any insight you could offer would be appreciated!
    Thanks
    Amy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Amy,

Try the attached.

Note: You will need to delete the existing 'dummy' record and insert one with a family ID of 0 as the last record.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Paul. That took care of moving the student names below the last name, but now I can't add the other info back in.
    I was stuck on how to keep my IF statements and place the appropriate brackets to include the repeated data.
    The secondary info is for kids with divorced parents. The intial form I posted included if addDad info is true, then associate dad's name with secondary info. If just 2 parents, mom would be on address and dad would be on secondary address. (step parents are list under mom or dad name).
    I decided to avoid adding an IF for multiple emails or numbers. I have room to throw 2 phones side by side and if I end up with blank lines I can do a quick replace empty para macro to cleanup.
    The asterisks are simply a marker for me so that when I merge 1000 records I can easily find those with secondary info so I can proof spacing and nuance.

Attached is a sample of what my end result needs to be. LastName, Students, Parents and AddressInfo are all styles so I can tweak the end product to fit properly on pages
    Your sample student report worked perfectly, except now I just need to put my fields back in.
    Thanks again for your help. I sincerely appreciate it!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Hi Amy,

Update attached, with notes about what various parts of the field coding are doing. You'll probably want to change the colouring so that the output isn't affected, and you'll probably want to apply your own Styles and formatting. You may or may not want to keep the additional text I've added for the parent, address, tel & email lines.

I've incorporated all of the logic from your original field coding, so as the show the secondary parent data in much the same way as you had, but I'm unable to see how your data source or field coding could be used to tell which is the custodial parent for split families and, accordingly, which parent goes with the primary -vs- secondary address. For the second ' Weiner' couple (which your layout document refers to as Weaver), I can't see where the name for 'Jane Weaver' is sourced - and there is no secondary address in the data.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]