Lounger
    Thanks
    I like to customize the folder structure of my start menu, so I often create subfolders to organize the entries. But I have several (not all) programs which, when I launch them bring up a dialog which says "Please wait while Windows configures the program name", and then creates a new start menu folder and shortcut for the program under C:\Users\my user ID\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\. The programs launch OK, but how can I stop Windows from creating the new Start Menu entries?

Thanks,

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Hipschman View Post
    I like to customize the folder structure of my start menu, so I often create subfolders to organize the entries. But I have several (not all) programs which, when I launch them bring up a dialog which says "Please wait while Windows configures the program name", and then creates a new start menu folder and shortcut for the program under C:\Users\my user ID\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\. The programs launch OK, but how can I stop Windows from creating the new Start Menu entries?

Thanks,
    hi, can you do a belarc audit scan of your pc and then post results here. thanks

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey, someone else who likes to organize start menu entries within folders!

Specifically which programs do this? One or two examples would be good. I suspect that there is something about the installer for those programs that is causing this behavior. It could be that what you are launching is not the program you think but some intermediate program that first checks that nothing has been messed up, and if so, cleans it up, and then launches the real program. You might be able to locate the actual program executable in the installation folder and place that in the start menu and use that to launch the program. I do this for Photoshop Elements to directly launch the editor.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Peter. I thought you had solved it, but at least I learned something from your suggestion. Let me deal with one program for simplicity. The program is BetterInvesting Portfolio Manager (I admit, not a very common program). The Start Menu entry points, not to the executable, but to another file in the same folder named config.rku, which, of course, I can't run directly. When I look at the General Tab of the shortcut's properties the description is the actual program executable, BIPM5.EXE. I admit that I have never quite understood how that works. But the final upshot is that running BIPM5.EXE directly does exactly the same thing as the config.rku shortcut, i.e., it brings up the "Please wait while Windows configures Portfolio Manager" box and creates a new Start Menu folder and shortcuts.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Open Task Manager and run BIPM5.EXE. After it is open, can you find bipm5.exe in the list of tasks? If so, then this program is doing the check and adding in the missing menu entries. I suspect that this is from a overly helpful developer who want to correct any of the "mistakes" that you might make. If it is not running, then it in turn is launching some other task - watching the Task Manager when you start the app should help you to identify the process that is really running. Turning on the Image Path Name and Command Line columns in Task Manager also helps - look for entries that come for the app's directory.

One possibility for dealing with this is to lock down the Start Menu | Programs folder. I did something similar to my laptop at work where a "helpful" script ensures that a "Help Desk" icon appears on the desktop. I found that the script places the icon into the global desktop folder (c:\users\public\desktop) so I changed the permissions on that folder to make it read only. Problem solved.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Peter. The program does show in the Task Manager Processes List. I have been assuming that because the "Please wait while Windows configures (program name)" dialog box appears to be initiated by Windows, not the program, this is a Windows issue. But what you are saying makes sense, especially since I have searched the Web and Microsoft's site extensively and cannot find the problem. I'll try contacting the developer and see if they can shed some light on this. Thanks for the help.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Peter. Just to keep you up to date, since you seem to be interested in this one, here is the response for Portfolio Manager 5:

When I Googled the error message, I found that this error happens when you move Office to a new subfolder. Here is what Microsoft said about the problem when it happens in Office.
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825941
    There is no code in BetterInvesting PM5 that is causing Windows 7 to do this.

I have found that note on the Microsoft site previously, but was not sure what to do with it. It is not clear to me whether the issue is with Windows or with the Office Setup Program, and I unchecked the "Store and Display Recently Opened Programs" box long ago. I'm still not sure what to do with this, but will keep pursuing it as I can.