View Poll Results: SSD vs HDD

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 36.36%
  • No

7 63.64%
    Thanks
    For those who are/have been viewing Solid State Hard Drives (SSDs) with caution, Bench Mark Reviews has comprehensively tested and reviewed a new PCI Express SSD. It makes interesting reading (although the item is still pricey).

Questio
    n: Will standard Hard Disk-drive recovery software work on an SSD?

Read the review here: http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.ph...=596&Itemid=60
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    (Poll)I'm almost there.
    The 3 year warranty OCZ offers is reassuring. I like the use of a PCI-e for greater
    data transfer rates, I'm not sure how it would play out with your board's other PCIe
    slots taken up with a potent GPU and sound card, not to mention what booting and driver
    setup is like.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    @Clint: Agreed. How about my question: (Repeat: Will standard Hard Disk-drive recovery software work on an SSD?) What say you? "Instinct" tells me "no" because, as I understand it, SSDs re-arrange data to ensure their speed is not compromised, so data does not necessarily remain in the "sector" where it was created and so programs like Recuva will not be able to "find" deleted data. Or am I off the mark?
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Maximum PC podcast mentioned that in almost all cases the PCIe bus would not become saturated with a high performance SSD and graphics card. The potential is there though with the advent of even faster SSDs.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter S View Post
    @Clint: Agreed. How about my question: (Repeat: Will standard Hard Disk-drive recovery software work on an SSD?) What say you? "Instinct" tells me "no" because, as I understand it, SSDs re-arrange data to ensure their speed is not compromised, so data does not necessarily remain in the "sector" where it was created and so programs like Recuva will not be able to "find" deleted data. Or am I off the mark?
    That's a good question, unfortunately I don't know the answer. I would suspect data recovery may be more difficult.
    I also can't recall the last time I needed any form of data recovery software, so it might not even be an issue, for me at least.
    I would need to do more digging and research. I would love to go out and buy this thing right now.

Good imaging software and backup practices can save your bacon over 99% of the time.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Thanks Clint. So far, (knock on wood!) I have also not needed any recovery of deleted data...but one never knows! Yes, I, too would like to buy this new "beast", but the largest one is REALLy still too expensive (for me). Cheers.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I'm going to wait until SATA 3 evolves. Initial impressions suggest that an SATA3 SSDs are going to be really fast.

I agree about backup though: I doubt the current software will work. It will probably back ip up, but restoring will be a different challenge.

Thanks
    ...On further digging...

Note: Before installing the RevoDrive it is important to check the settings/capabilities on your motherboard. If you plan on using the RevoDrive as a boot drive please check that your motherboard supports boot over PCI-E. Please check with your motherboard manufacturer for the latest platform information and BIOS updates. If you have any installation or compatibility questions about the RevoDrive, please visit our forums or call OCZ Customer Service for recommendations.

While the RevoDrive will simply plug and play for the vast majority of platforms for these particular motherboards OCZ recommends the following:
    -Asus Crosshair IV Please check with motherboard manufacturer for BIOS update to enable boot over PCIe.
    -Biostar T-Power I45: RevoDrive is only detected in Slot 1 AND only if a PCIe GPU is used.
    -DFI DK-X58-T3EH6: Not detected in PCIe Slot 2 (x4 slot).
    -EVGA X758 SLI Please check with motherboard manufacturer for BIOS update to enable Boot over PCIe.
    -Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7 Not detected in slots 1,3,4 (it is detected in 2,5,6)
    -XFX 780i SLI Bios must be upgraded to P09 (or later).
    DRIVE IMAGING

Latest Build:

Thanks
    Thanks Clint. I will mention your post in the Backup Thread area of the Lounge as a gentle warning to other Loungers.

Edit: Corrected a typo.