Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi fellas!

Another strange behaviour appeared in our network: Several users claimed, that their IE wants to save the website instead of opening it. When you click on a link, you are confronted with a "Save as..." dialogue instead of the desired site. This bug appeared on different websites with different users on different machnies. The only thing in common is, they are all using IE6-8. Internet Connection is established through a proxy server. Other users, who are also working with IE6-8 and this proxy server, don't have any problems at all.
    The problem can't be reproduced, because one day it's working, the other day not. When you are faced with this bug, you can try to open the site as often as you like - no way. You restart your machine, and everything is back to normal. No such problems with Firefox so far. But for several reasons we are stuck with IE for quite some time.
    My research with google brought up nothing. Even the file-types are correctly associated. Anyone any idea what could cause this?

Cheers
    Philipp
    __________________________________________________ ________
    Murphys Law rules the world, bow to it!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Often IE problems are the result of a misbehaving addon. Have you tried running IE with addons disabled? Use "iexplore.exe -extoff" (without the quotation marks) to start IE with addons disabled.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Joe!

I'm terribly sorry, I didn't receive any notification of your answer. I guess I didn't configure it correctly.
    Anyway, regarding my problem, as far as I can tell it is a problem with the website. For reasons unknown, this website is the only one which produces this kind of "error". Since it is only a local news site, we canceled our work on this problem and closed the case. It just isn't worth any more effort.
    Thanks for your answer anyway, maybe next time.
    Philipp
    __________________________________________________ ________
    Murphys Law rules the world, bow to it!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    For futute reference - since it is a local site and the only one exhibiting this behavior, I suspect their web server is misconfigured.

Joe
    Joe