New Lounger
    Thanks
    WOULD WIN.XP-PRO 32 BIT support a AMD 6 CORE CPU and motherboard ?
    or would win.xp-pro 64 bit be better ?
    an no win vista is out of the question .

Thanks
    Hi Stuart, and welcome to the Lounge!

Have you checked the motherboard manufacturer to see if there are XP chipset device drivers and other hardware drivers available for the XP Pro 32 bit and 64 bit OSes?

As far as XP Pro 32 bit is concerned, the system you describe would be limited to 4GB of addressable RAM, and after your hardware takes its share off the top, you would have between 3.25 and 3.5GB of usable RAM. I would want to be able to install more RAM on a six core system.

XP Pro 64 may be difficult to find now. Not many people used it. But if I were to install XP Pro, I would install the 64 bit version if it were available and if all drivers could be found for the hardware, as well as existing peripheral hardware such as printers, scanners, etc.

That said, I personally would go with Windows 7 64 bit in Home Premium, Professional, or Ultimate rather than XP 64. Also, Windows 7 will more efficiently utilize the six core CPU.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Definitely Windows 7, 64 bit. Forget about using Windows XP, 64 bit...or any XP version for that matter.

If you did manage to find an XP 64 bit version you would be severly limited by lack of drivers and programs.
    A definite waste of time & money mixing XP 64 bit with the latest new hardware.

Video redering and photo manipulation will probably be the extent of utilizing 6 cores at the moment.
    But Windows 7 will be far better than any previous MS os at utilizing all those cores.

EDIT
    Your board's BIOS would have to specifically support that AMD 6 core processor, or your
    dead in the water before you even begin. So do your research.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It certainly handles 4 with aplomb so it would be interesting to find out about 6. You can send it to me for testing and I'll let you know.
    XP 64-bit is OUT more than vista sp2 by far.
    I personally love the way XP manages multi-core better than 7 because it doesn't reserve as many cycles for multitasking so my more single-task oriented jobs like video encoding get done a good deal faster in XP, but yeah, if you're Skyping, recording, uploading to Ustream, checking email, watching UTube, and encoding a video simultaneously on the same machine, go with 7.
    Don't need more than 3.25 gigs of RAM yet either (except in special cases). Processor always saturates first, that's the engine and the RAM is the gas tank. I used to say maybe when 12 or 16 cores are common and multi-threaded but now that the new processors are going to start incorporating GPUs as well as CPUs, that number could be much lower. I've heard that when special-purposed, these processors may be 3-4 times faster than the i7. That kind of speed may justify a bigger gas tank, even if it was only used for 10% of the computer's activity.
    Ok, my address is, OneOne Mockingbird Lane, Hell, Michigan, 69666.

Thanks
    I would also vote for Win 7 64 bit in either Pro or Ultimate versions. This way you can always utilize XP mode for older apps that hiccup with Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy