nickthorp2

Software compatibility

Does anyone know whether Dragon NaturallySpeaking 4.0, Trados Workbench Freelance Edition 2.3.0.89 (Build 89), Winzip 8.0 or the current Kaspersky virus checker will work under XP? It seems to be a lot harder to find out software compatibility than hardware. How about a TEAC CD-W54EK CD-RW drive?

Beginner's question, starting from an existing Win 98 installation:
    Is it likely that it will be possible to choose "new installation" from the XP home edition upgrade CD to have Win 98 removed and the hard disk reformatted ready for a clean install, or will it be necessary to reformat the hard drive first under the existing Win 98, then boot from the XP upgrade CD?

Despite some earlier postings to the forum, I get the impression that the NTFS file system is a slightly better choice for a purely Win XP installation than FAT32. Windows XP home page says NTFS provides enhanced reliability and stability (main things of interest to me). Is this true, or conversely is there any reason for sticking to FAT32 (other than the possibility of dual boot to Win 98)?

Any comments gratefully received.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Software compatibility

If MSFT does not list those products in its software compatability list, then I'd suggest checking at the web site for each of the products.

For the CD-RW drive, you could check MSFT's hardware compatability list and/or Teac's web site.

nickthorp2

Thanks very much for your help Howard. Will get there in the end!

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

Regarding the upgrade to NTFS, there's an endless debate raging about the topic. If you go to DOS or would like the ability to boot to DOS from a floppy and work there, don't do it. If you have a mongo-large hard drive (40GB or better) then NTFS makes more efficient use of the space.

NTFS is more stable, that much is true. It's also slightly quicker than FAT16/32 but you'd be hard pressed to notice the difference. If you don't have a need to work from a command prompt it's probably your best bet.

As far as upgrading or starting clean, you can install XP separately and have the choice to go into Windows 98 or XP at startup. That will allow you to continue using Windows 98, which you have moved in to, while discovering whether or not XP supports your software and hardware. Plus, XP setup will examine these things for you and tell you whether or not it will work, or if you'll need to re-install after setup completes (EZCD Creator is a good example).

Most programs and hardware released in the last three years will work under XP.
    -Mark

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

XP supports ZIP archives. However, I discovered that ZIP files that had previously been password protected can be opened and extracted without the password being known.

nickthorp2

Thanks for the info Jim. This is of particular interest given that I have to deal with password-protected zip files from clients worried about confidentially. The fact that the password can be bypassed is certainly going to cause problems for a number of people.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Oops! I spoke too soon @#$%&*!

The ZIP file that I thought was password protected apparently was not. I performed a test by creating a new one with a password, and XP does indeed ask for the password, and will not display the file contents without it.

Be careful anyway, because I could have sworn that other file was password protected all through my Windows 98 career...