Thanks
    Greetings Windows Lounge Users!

I am a huge fan of the game Plants vs Zombies, but I have an issue with the game which I need help with. The game will play fine on Windows 7 64 bit for about 30 to 45 minutes, after which point it will lock up and become unresponsive. If I restart the game, it will continue for a few seconds, and lock up again. I have tried running it in compatibility mode with all sorts of OS choices; I have enabled the option to always run the game as an administrator; I experimented with full screen and windowed mode; I tried fiddling with the resolution and the Windows 7 theme (Basic or Aero) but nothing seems to work. I don't think that it is an issue of the game being unable to run in a 64 bit OS, because I have had other games which had that issue, and I couldn't even install them. This game installed and ran very well for almost an hour before giving me constant lock ups. I have installed it from the CD version, and I don't think there are any updates that I have to get for it. Does anyone here have a solution to this problem? If so, I would be much obliged for the answer, as it is a fun game and I would hate to be unable to play it simply because of an incompatibility issue. If I have posted this in the wrong topic, I apologize, as I wasn't sure which category to post this under.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"

Thanks
    Hi Henry,

I would say your video card and CPU are getting very hot, which is causing the lockups. Check to be sure the fans in your case are running especially the CPU heat sink fan and video card fan.

Your system BIOS may be able to provide the current temps of critical components. SpeedFan is available here, and is Windows 7 64 bit compatible.

Check your video card documentation for the safe upper temp limit, or get that from the manufacturer support site. You can also check the thermal limits of your CPU at the manufacturer's site.

Also, have you checked to see if your game is fully Windows 7 compatible.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Thank you for your prompt reply Gerald! Thank you for the suggestion about SpeedFan, I do appreciate it. However, I'm not sure if overheating is the issue, because while I do play the game on my laptop, it isn't incredibly demanding in terms of computer resources. Additionally, I do have a cooling pad for my laptop which I always use. However, I may try to play the game on my desktop, just to see if you are correct. It could be that the laptop is putting off too much heat even with the cooling pad.

I have checked the Microsoft Compatibility Center, and it does say that the game is compatible with 64 bit Windows. Thank you for that suggestion, I forget to check that website. I may try to put it on my desktop, so I'll keep you posted.
    "Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent." - Issac Asimov, from his novel "Foundation"