New Lounger
    Thanks

#Deleted error (Access 97)

I have about 30 users with a front-end to the actual database (linked tables). On their main form (with 1 subform) they use for data entry, I have one that has reported what I've also seen (but isn't easy to repeat). Sometimes, when they are using other applications (nothing particular), and return to check on things in the database, the same form is still open, but the fields all show the #Deleted error in them (and continue to even if you move to other records). The data is still there, nothing is actually deleted. The refresh form button doesn't do the trick, the user reports having to exit Access completely and return, then everything is fine. What I suspect, is that in the back-end of the database, the parent table for this form is occassionally replaced with data from another access database that exports its tables. Am I on the right track? What can cause this error, other than a deleted record (I searched MS KnowledgeBase)? What is the simplest way to either prevent or to allow the end-user to fix it if it pops up?

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: #Deleted error (Access 97)

Do all fields in mainform show #Deleted or all fields in subform show it? Let's assume it is mainform, and explain what is going on. When you open a bound form, you create a recordset in memory. Let's say it was 10 records; then you have 10 pointers in memory, each pointing back to a record in your table. If something happens to that record (like it is deleted), then the pointer points to nothing, so you get that #Deleted field value. Refreshing the recordset merely tells Access to get the current information for each of those 10 records in the recordset in memory. So once the records are gone, no amount of refreshing will help. However, if you do a Requery, Access will go out and recreate the recordset again from scratch (this time it may find only 8 records, or whatever).
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: #Deleted error (Access 97)

Is the backend on a server? If so, you may be running into network issues. A dropped connection can cause that, and Access is sensitive enough to such things that it may respond when other apps don't. It may also be a timeout issue on the connection.
    Charlotte