New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have occasions to use a Win 7 laptop at a location that only has dial-up internet access (~28k). I can live with the speed for things I choose to do there. However, Windows, Symantec, Java, and a host of other apps insist on checking for and downloading updates without asking first. I'd prefer to defer all that baggage until I return to a location with decent bandwidth.

Is there a way to stop all the undesired update activity in Win 7?

Thanks,
    Paul

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Sure there is. You can modify the automatic update settings for Windows and each application. The specifics are different for each piece of software.

Joe

Thanks
    Turn automatic updating windows 7 on or off;M$ To disable java updates.Go to start control panel click on the java icon.Then click on the update tab UNcheck the line.That reads check for updates automatically click on ok then close the rest. How to turn off Norton Anti-virus update;My link
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

Thanks
    Some other Optimizations:
    Optimizing Dial-up Internet Connections under any version of Windows
    Optimize Your Dial-up Connection
    How to Optimize Dial-up Performance

The internet has been increasingly made for broadband usage, not dial-up. Your worst experience will be
    waiting for flash, java, pictures, sound, or other stuff to load. Curtailing these will also help considerably.
    Dump your browsers eye candy or get another browser that can, just for dial-up:
    ANY browser that completely STOPS movement?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks. I was hoping to avoid the "each piece of software" part. I have no idea how many apps are lurking, waiting to scarf up bandwidth.

Task manager can show what apps are using the processor and how much they're using. Is there a similar way to show what apps are using the network connection (and how much)?

Thanks again,
    Paul

Thanks
    TCPView v3.0 from Sysinternals
    TCPView is a Windows program that will show you detailed listings of all TCP and UDP endpoints on your system, including the local and remote addresses and state of TCP connections. On Windows Server 2008, Vista, and XP, TCPView also reports the name of the process that owns the endpoint. TCPView provides a more informative and conveniently presented subset of the Netstat program that ships with Windows. The TCPView download includes Tcpvcon, a command-line version with the same functionality.
    Your best bet IS to ensure all those applications that require updates, like Windows Update, are either disabled or set to inform only, not download.
    You ought to have a good idea what they are; Antivirus, antimalware, and anything Adobe are among your most common.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by far far away View Post
    Thanks. I was hoping to avoid the "each piece of software" part. I have no idea how many apps are lurking, waiting to scarf up bandwidth.

Task manager can show what apps are using the processor and how much they're using. Is there a similar way to show what apps are using the network connection (and how much)?
    Unfortunately, each program has its own mechanism and options for auto-updating. There is no generic solution for disabling automatic updating.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    The internet has been increasingly made for broadband usage, not dial-up. Your worst experience will be
    waiting for flash, java, pictures, sound, or other stuff to load.
    I can handle those by being careful what I ask for. I was looking for a solution for all the other stuff that does what it wants.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.
    Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I've been trying NetLimiter3 recently. It shows which applications are using how much bandwidth - what the upload and download speeds are by connection. You can stop and/or throttle any connection, have them ask before connecting, and other tricks.

Paul