New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I have recently purchased a new laptop that came with Win 7 Home Premium. Up until now, I have been running my home net with XP Pro on everything (about 6 PCs).

My 'file server' has 2 external USB drives that contain media used by the whole family. They are mapped as drives K:\ and L:\ on every PC in the place. I've never had any problems with this configuration.

What's started happening is that the Win 7 machine keeps 'discovering' the same media drive over and over, and mapping it to different consecutive drive letters. With the original mapped drives set up as K:\ and L:\, I find that after a few hours I then have drives M to Z inclusive, all of which map to the same as K:\. It seems to stop only when it runs out of alphabet.

I am assuming that this 'discovering' of drives is something that was intoduced in either Vista or 7 (I missed Vista on purpose), but any ideas on 'why', and how to turn the $%^^&* thing off would be greatly appreciated. :-)

Thanks,
    Chris

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Chris, and welcome to the Lounge!

Check out this tutorial on mapping XP drives to a Windows 7 machine. The first part of the article is about mapping Windows 7 drives to XP. The topic you are interested in follows that one.

See if that helps in the resolution of the problem.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gerald.

Thanks for the reply, but I suspect I may have missed something in the link in your reply.

"Check out this tutorial on mapping XP drives to a Windows 7 machine. The first part of the article is about mapping Windows 7 drives to XP. The topic you are interested in follows that one."

I assume that the section you're refering to is the one headed "Map an XP Drive to Windows 7"

I can't see how this will address my problem. I have no hassles mapping a drive on an XP machine. My problem is to stop Win 7 repeatedly adding another drive letter to the same mapped XP drive.

[attachment=90130:ScreenDumpWin7MappedDrives.jpg]

The (hopefully shown) above screen dump shows what is happening. Since I first started the thread this morning, the Win 7 machine has added another 6 drive letters (E-J). I'm assuming that it must stop soon as the only available letters left unused are now A:\ and B:\. :-)

Can you please advise if I've missed something in the link you provided, or is this a different problem?

Thanks and regards,
    Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Hi Chris,

Wow, that is multiplying like rabbits!

Yes, the section I referred to is the one headed "Map an XP Drive to Windows 7".

I understand what is happening on your Win7 machine. What I do not understand is why it is happening. I offered the link because that is the one I used to map an XP external drive to my Windows 7 machine. The process of mapping a drive from XP to Windows 7 is a little different than mapping from XP to XP. I followed the tutorial to the letter and did not have any problems.

I was hoping that there would be some step or steps in the tutorial that, once followed, would put an end to the aggravation for you.

Perhaps another lounger has experienced your same dilemma and can tell you exactly how to remedy the issue.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Hi Chris

What version of Win XP is the "file server" running?

I'm suspecting it is XP Home, which has a limitation of 5 concurrent connections.
    Since you have 6 machines on your network I think you are banging up against the limit, and suspect the Win7 machine sees the connection being dropped and is re-establishing it. Why it chooses a new drive letter to do so I don't understand.

Suggest not mapping the USB drives on the file server itself, rather use the subst command to assign logical drive letters to the physical devices if you need them to be consistent on all machines.

I have a similar setup but only 4 concurrent connections and am not having any such issues.

Also I am wondering how you established the drive mappings. I have never seen Win7 map any drive letter other than the one initially specified, either in the map network drive dialog or in the net use command.

Jock

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Mapping a drive is NOT done on the Host machine, but on the client machine. All one needs are Shares on the host, then EACH client needs to define the mapping using the "Shared" path. They can assign the drive letter, at time of mapping.

One thing that Windows 7 may be doing, is grabbing those mapped drives that are shared on the other client machine.

We do NOT use any mapping, just select the shares from the "Network" listing.

Before retirement (many Years ago) we were on domain networks and IT people spent more time trouble shooting drive mapping than they did anything else. I learn at that time, if I was to use the shared (Networked) path, I always got to where I needed, where those using dive mapping "MAY" get to where they needed to be.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Guys,

Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.

Gerald:
    I'm going to kill (disconnect) all the rabbit-like drives this morning and start from scratch as per your link just to see if there's a connection (no pun intended!) in there somewhere that I've missed.

I wonder if it's significant that only the 1st of the attached drives is multiplying. The second just sits there and behaves itself. As you noted, it's the 'why' that has me stumped. I also tried using different drive letters to start the series (Y and Z instead of K and L) and it still does the same thing - but only with the first drive.

DaveA:
    Are you suggesting that I use the full URL in lieu of the Map dialog box? I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Jock:
    The only XP Home in the house is on an eeePC netbook but it's dual-boot and is mainly running Ubuntu. Everything else including the 'file server' is XP Pro SP3.
    I'd forgotten about 'subst'. Haven't used it since DOS 6.22. :-)) I'll check it out.

Just as a matter of interest, I've been Googling this problem for about a week before posting here and cannot find any indication that it's happened to anyone else. I cannot for the life of me think that I'm the first - maybe I'm using the wrong keywords in my search criteria. Has anyone come across any indications of this before?

Just for completeness, the network runs through an ASUS GX1108N Gigibit router and the USB drive is a USB connected Western Digital Elements 2TB that's split into 2 x 1TB. The laptop that's got Win 7 and the multiplying drives, is a Toshiba Satellite T230D (I believe it's called a T235D in North America).

What little hair I have remaining is in serious peril. :-))

Thanks again,
    Chris

Thanks
    Hi Chris

It doesn't sound like you should be short on connections, so subst shouldn't make any difference.

Your setup is very similar to mine except 2 more systems. My "server" is also XP Pro and I have 1 Win7 Pro, 2 XP Pro, 1 Vista Home Premium & 1 Ubuntu Hardy sharing 2 USB drives on the server. There is also a Win98 print server which does not access the server. Network is wired 100mbps. I have never had a problem such as yours nor have I heard of it before.

In my case the server is a Dell desktop configured as "always on" - ie no sleep more or power saving enabled because it is also a FTP server & I have had wakeup on LAN problems. It is on 24/7 and gets rebooted weekly. The Win 7 box is also a desktop (HP) with default power settings and gets rebooted daily.

You have a very interesting problem.

Jock

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    All I do is when needing a file I browse to the network using the functions of the Open to the required machine and then share.
    I do the same when when saving a new file across the network to a given machine and share.

[attachment=90142:Shares.PNG]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi again,

Last night I shut the whole system down (every PC in the place), and then started it up again from scratch. This seemed at least slightly more productive than peering into chicken entrails or sacrificing virgins to the Great IT God.

It obviously follows the standard Help Desk question, "Have you turned it off and then on again". :-))

I have no idea what I did (if anything), but for the last 24 hours, the problem has not raised its head again.

Fingers crossed that it stays that way!

Thanks again for all your suggestions.

Cheers,
    Chris