Thread: Sleep function

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Ever sunce installing Windows 7 last October I have been unable to get the Sleep function to work as it should, that is ti say that on seleecting Sleep in the Start Menu the display goes blank momentarily but re-appears after some 10 seconds or so.
    I have tried unsuccessfully on many occasions to correct this but understandably have been reluctant to resort to re-istalling Windows to resolve this matter. However when, for anorther reason, over a period of time tis became necessary, it still did not resolve his problem.
    On a trial and error basis I have discovereds a workaround whereby if I select a screensaver setting with a minimum period of one minute before displaying following this the sleep function will then operate as it should. The only problem with this however I have found is that periodically Windows 7, decides of it's own accord, to change the screensaver setting sellected to None and then once again the sleep function will no longer operate.
    Any suggestions for resolving this matter would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    Hi Geoff, and welcome to the Lounge!

Check to see if your Wireless card or Ethernet card are set to wake up your computer. Go to Device Manager, right click on the Network Adapter you use, select Properties, and click the Power Management tab. Then uncheck Allow this device to wake the computer. See if that helps.

Also, go to Power Options to check if you have Hybrid sleep on. Hybrid sleep is enabled by default in Windows 7. Check the power profile you are currently using, such as High Performance, Balanced, Power Saving, etc., and click Change plan settings. Next, click Change advanced power settings. Expand the Sleep setting so you can see Allow Hybrid sleep. Click to expand Allow Hybrid Sleep and be sure it is Off on both settings. Sometimes this helps with power issues. Hybrid sleep maintains the contents of memory just like regular sleep, but also writes the contents of memory to the hard drive like Hibernate. As mentioned earlier, Hybrid sleep is enabled by default in Win7 when you select Sleep mode, unless you cut it Off as described here.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Many thanks for the suggestions but I regret to say that all of these have been implemented over the months that I have experienced this problem but with no success !

Administrator
    Thanks
    What software do you have running when this occurs?

There are some programs that inhibit sleep because of the way they access various pieces of hardware.

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    More often than not none other than Internet Security program which in this instance i the current Kaspersky package. In an andeavour to throw some light on this matter I have tried accessing various switches of Powercfg (in particular the LastWake switch) run from the command prompt in elevated mode but for some inexplicable reason Windows indicatest it does not recognise any of the commands in question.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Can you post a screenshot of the active processes in Task Manager?

Are you sure you are using the correct syntax for Powercfg? Have you tried Powercfg /? to see all the options?

Joe

Thanks
    found this in the Microsoft windows 7 Forums regarding unable to sleep:

I would suggest you to follow these steps and check if it helps.

Method 1:
    First I would suggest you to try updating the drivers for your graphic card and check if it helps, here is the link:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...rking-properly

If you don’t find the drivers in Windows updates, go to manufacturer’s website download the latest drivers and install it. Check if it helps.

Method 2:
    Try running power troubleshooter and check if it helps, here is the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...troubleshooter

Method 3:

Try performing clean boot and check if it helps, here is the link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
    (Note - Check to see if you can sleep in the Clean boot environment. If successful, use a process of elimination to determine the cause.- Jerry)

Make sure that you put back the computer to normal startup mode once it is done.

For more information refer these links and follow the steps mentioned in these links and check if it helps:

Solutions to common power problems:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...power-problems

Sleep and hibernation: frequently asked questions:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...sked-questions

Azam – Microsoft Support.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Cooper View Post
    Ever sunce installing Windows 7 last October I have been unable to get the Sleep function to work as it should, that is ti say that on seleecting Sleep in the Start Menu the display goes blank momentarily but re-appears after some 10 seconds or so.
    I have tried unsuccessfully on many occasions to correct this but understandably have been reluctant to resort to re-istalling Windows to resolve this matter. However when, for anorther reason, over a period of time tis became necessary, it still did not resolve his problem.

Any suggestions for resolving this matter would be much appreciated.
    Geoff,
    Hello, not sure if you have corrected this yet but here is my suggestion ... Under "advanced power options" set "allow wake timers" to disable.... This has worked for me ,to keep "Norton" security from waking up my PC. Regards Fred
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joep & Jerry,

Many thanks for the responses which I'm working my wat through. Yes I can access powercfg /? which lists the
    various switches available but as previously indicated for some inexplicable reason when I endeavour to access most of
    these the command is not recognised. This leaves me completely puzzled given that I can ccess two of the commands, the
    second of these concerning Powercfg /last awake.
    ` I was hopeful that this switch would point the way to a solution particularly as it is indicated as
    identifying the source of the device waking the system from the last sleep. If I knew this it would go a long way to
    solving the problem faced. However the results obtained which are detailed below are meaningless to me.
    The response is as follows -

WAKE HISTORY COUNT -1
    WAKE HISTORY (0)
    WAKE sOURCE cOUNT -1

Is it suggesting that nothing was woken because ther was no sleep state to wake from?
    Moving on JoeP to what programs are running when the Sleep command is invoked Task Manager cionfirms that no
    applications are running

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Fred,
    I have tried your suggestion, for which many thanks, but I am afraid in this instance it did'nt work

Administrator
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Cooper View Post
    Moving on JoeP to what programs are running when the Sleep command is invoked Task Manager cionfirms that no
    applications are running
    What processes are running?

Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    By running one of the powercfg switches available I have ascertained that only two devices are actually causing my computer to wake, that is to say my mouse and keyboard which is just as I would wish it to be there being no other device which unknown to me is causing it to wake.
    This has prompted me to re-appraise the problem experienced. As indicated in my initial post on selecting Sleep the display goes blank momentarily but re-appears after only a few seconds. I am therefore now fast coming to the conclusion that it is not a .ase of the computer involuntarily waking from sleep mode but rather that the computer never actually goes into sleep mode.
    With this in mind I am ploughing through various links to sleep problems provided by Jerry in his post of the 23rd to see if they provide any pointers to the source of the problem.