New Lounger
    Thanks
    Of the browsers I have installed on my PC (Windows XP), Chrome is the only one that will access many websites. I've spent hours and hours, probably 25 or so, struggling to get Adobe FlashPlayer installed, and nothing works for Firefox, Opera, and IE. I finally gave up, as hundreds of others have, too, if the online complaints mean anything. Apparently Chrome's developers incorporated FlashPlayer into the browser and you don't have to install it separately.

I'd like to see every browser developer group incorporate the addons that most sites use, with a choice to opt-out if people prefer it.

Though I don't know how secure the data is, I LOVE Opera because of its storing of registration and login information that can be entered with the click on the key symbol. I thought it was safer than typing one's login information since it goes into the correct little boxes all at once. But I cannot use it for most sites anymore.

If you are unable to install FlashPlayer and a site needs it to function, what do you do? Right now I'm having to remember which browsers to use for which sites, but that's a pain in the butt.

Anne

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts
    Have you tried using the Flash uninstaller from Adobe - Uninstall Flash Player | Windows?

Have you tried using the free version of Revo Uninstaller? Note: the version is for 32-bit Windows only.

Have you always re-booted after the uninstall and before a reinstall?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, Yes to all your questions. In desperation I even uninstalled all Adobe programs thinking the kink might be there. But no go. Just reinstalled them this AM. I'm not kidding -- there are hundreds of complaints online about not being able to install FlashPlayer.

I've uninstalled it with the stand-alone and at the the Adobe download site (and rebooted) with no problems -- it always shows up in my Control Panel List after it's downloaded, but the Adobe site that should show it comes up with nothing, just that window with the red X in it. Many people really have given up as I have.

Administrator
    Thanks
    I've read some of the accounts you mention.

When you tried using Revo did you have it do a deep scan?

After Flash was uninstalled have you used Regedit and removed any remaining vestiges of Flash from the registry?

Is How to uninstall Flash one of the methods you've tried?

If you have IE8 installed, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE8?

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe, I'm not ignoring your questions, but I guess I don't understand this instruction:

http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/191/tn_1916...Determine32bit

Here's what shows up for my version of IE:

So I don't know what FlashPlayer actually works with IE, but the standard one should work for the other browsers.

Now, back to your questions. No, I didn't use the Revo Uninstaller, but I've downloaded it now.

Is How to uninstall Flash one of the methods you've tried? Yes

If you have IE8 installed, have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling IE8? No.

Which step first?

Thanks, and sorry to be such a pain!

Anne

Administrator
    Thanks
    If you are running a 64-bit version of Windows you will have a 32-bit version of IE and a 64-bit version of IE. A 64-bit version of IE would say 64-bit after the version number. So, I believe you are running 32-bit IE8.

First, I'd try following the directions at the Flash uninstall link.

If that fails, then I'd use Revo and manually check the registry after running Revo.

Last, if you are running XP or Vista you can uninstall and reinstall IE8. If you are running Windows 7 you can't uninstall IE8.

Joe
    Joe

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,

Thanks, but I just spent another four hours following your instructions and nothing works. I now have a missing IE from my machine and it won't download from the site anymore. I did have Revo installed before but didn't know how to use it. I was unable to even find IE on my machine to uninstall and had to go through all kinds of machinations by following these instructions:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957700/#stepsforxp

When that didn't work, I found this:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/950719

I don't remember if I installed IE 7 or 8 after I installed Windows XP SP3.

I am really not willing to mess with this any more. I've rebooted my machine and waited for it to reappear more than I can count.

I despise Microsoft.

Thanks anyway.

Anne

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,

I finally got it installed on Opera, where I wanted it. Thanks again for the ride!