• Wion 7 Professional

8 29.63%
  • Win 7 Home Premium

9 33.33%
  • Win 7 Starter

0 0%
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Myself and two other Windows 7 users are experiencing problems with Win 7 loosing Internet connection. The computers are in 3 different suburbs several miles apart. The computer configurations are as follows
    1. Older PC upgraded to Win 7 Professional fresh install on cable as Internet provider
    2. Brand New Toshiba laptop with factory Installed Win 7 Home Premium on DSL provider
    3. Brand New Acer Netbook with factory Installed Win 7 Starter on cable Internet provider
    All three occasionally lock up, loose Internet connection and get the Yellow !Triangle/Yield sign in the Status Bar.
    The computers must be rebooted to recover.
    We have tried 3 other different computers on each line using Win XP with no problem.
    Questions
    1. Is there a way to restart the Internet connection short of a reboot?
    Running Microsoft diagnostic from a right click on the Yellow ! Yield sign only says "No Internet Connection" DUH, NO KIDDIN
    2.Are any of you experiencing Internet connection loss?

Any Suggestions?
    Please participate in the polls
    I am ready to throw Win 7 away

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Are you all using the same ISP? Have you tried contacting your ISP support?

Did you check to make sure that the cable/dsl networking hardware is compatible with Windows 7?

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Hi Steve, Welcome to The Lounge.

All my knowledge re connection are router based. Make sure it's configured correctly, if it is, power off router & PC. turn router on and wait till all lights show then start your PC.
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Make sure your router has the latest firmware.

You can sometimes get your internet connection back by resetting your router eiter by power off/power on, router reset button, or the reset option in the router login pages. If that doesn't work try:
    1. Power off router.
    2. Power off Modem.
    3. wait 30 seconds.
    4 Power on Modem
    5.wait for lights to stabilize
    6. Power on Router.
    7.After lights stabilize, your connection should be back.

All this can be done without rebooting.

Some routers are more susceptible to internet loss than others. I had major problems with my D-Link router until I replaced it with a Netgear. Haven't had a single problem since.

Jerry

New Lounger
    Thanks
    There are 3 different ISPs, all of whom say their modems are compatible with Windows 7. @1 Time Warner Cable, 1 Comcast cable and 1 AT&T DSL.
    I have tried the steps of router/modem with no success. I'll have the other two try later. All of Windows 7 updates are installed.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Witalka View Post
    Make sure your router has the latest firmware.

You can sometimes get your internet connection back by resetting your router eiter by power off/power on, router reset button, or the reset option in the router login pages. If that doesn't work try:
    1. Power off router.
    2. Power off Modem.
    3. wait 30 seconds.
    4 Power on Modem
    5.wait for lights to stabilize
    6. Power on Router.
    7.After lights stabilize, your connection should be back.

All this can be done without rebooting.

Some routers are more susceptible to internet loss than others. I had major problems with my D-Link router until I replaced it with a Netgear. Haven't had a single problem since.

Jerry
    I am using a D-Link DR655 with latest firmware, Time Warner installed a new Scientific Atlanta cable modem. Thank you all for helping this rookie out!!! I'll keep getting details, it is losing connection about every 20 minutes now.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Do these machines go into hibernation or sleep?

We have 4 Windows 7 machines, 1 64 bit Ultimate, 2 Home Premium 64 bit, 1 Home Premium 32 bit. None have any connection issues, but are on a Cat5 connection.

But when we use the laptops (Home Premium 64 bit) on wireless we still do not have issues as we do NOT allow sleep or hibernation to kick in.

The problem in most cases is that when gone to sleep or hibernation, the wireless NIC does not power back on. Check the advance settings of the Wireless NIC and see if there is a setting to wake up.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Is this a wired connection from your computer to the router?

Can you go to a command prompt (in the search bar type CMD and hit enter), type
    Code:
    CD ..
    so you are at the root of the C: drive. then type
    Code:
    ipconfig /all > ipconfig.txt
    This will create a file called ipconfig.txt in C:\ please either copy and paste the contents of this file into a post or upload the file in a post.

It would be helpful if you could create two files. One while the internet is working and one while it is not. (You will need to change the command for the second file to something like
    Code:
    ipconfig /all > ipconfig2.txt
    so you do not overwrite the first file when you create it.)

Please post the contents of both files....

Thanks
    I was having problems with occasional drops, but it was related to the 2.4 GHz range usage of my router. This band is heavily used in my area and neighborhood. Once I switched my router (Linksys 610 - dual band) to the 5 GHz range, I have had no further problems. I realize the 5 GHz range does not have the reach of the 2.4 GHz band, but the lack of competition more than makes up for it. No dropped connections any more.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Taylor View Post
    I am using a D-Link DR655 with latest firmware, Time Warner installed a new Scientific Atlanta cable modem. Thank you all for helping this rookie out!!! I'll keep getting details, it is losing connection about every 20 minutes now.
    I've had a Dir-655 for over a year without this sort of problem. Works well on two wired desktops (Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit & XP Pro SP3) and a wireless notebook (Vista Home Premium SP2 32-bit). Any connection problems I've had have been with the cable modem (Motorola SB6120) occasionally locking up - Charter ISP. Powering down the modem, letting it sit for about 30 seconds, restarting the modem almost always fixes the issue. When it doesn't I go through the sequence again. Never had to do it more than twice.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Taylor View Post
    1. Is there a way to restart the Internet connection short of a reboot?
    Running Microsoft diagnostic from a right click on the Yellow ! Yield sign only says "No Internet Connection" DUH, NO KIDDIN

Sometimes when I switch on my Desktop PC, I do not have an internet connection. When I open Network and Sharing, I see that I am connected to Home and an Unidentified Network - these appear to clash and I don't have a connection. To fix this I go into Device Manager and disable then re-enable the Network Card. This gets rid of the Unidentified Network and leaves me connected to Home which is what it should have been in the first place. I don't know where this Unidentified network comes from but I wish it would go away forever.

I don't seem to have this problem on my Laptop. Both computers were Win7 Home Premium upgrades from Vista Home Premium.

Perhaps disabling and re-enabling the NIC will work for you as well, I have not had to reboot to get my internet connection back.

Regards,
    Maria
    Maria
    Simmo7
    Victoria, Australia

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted Myers View Post
    o o o related to the 2.4 GHz range usage of my router. This band is heavily used in my area and neighborhood. o o o
    The other thing that you can do if you don't have dual-band is to change the channel. If you have a bunch of Wireless Routers and/or AP's on the usual channel 6, you'll have your wireless adapter spend more time than needed trying to talk to your router. The other things to do besides changing the channel is to change the SSID. The default router name says to wireless poachers that you are a noob and might be vulnerable to attack. You should also use WPA2 with AES. (AES is faster than TKIP from what I read..)
    I recommend that you look at channel 1 or 11. There is some overlap in the channels and the further you can get away from the other guys, the better. 1 is better than 11, because sometimes 11 is used in ad-hoc peer-to-peer or mesh networks.

Just my $0.02 worth.

/s/ BezantSoft