New Lounger
    Thanks
    My daughter has a Mac notebook with the Mac OS and Windows 7 installed. Some of her scientific software is Windows based, so she needs both OS's. She insists that when she is running Windows 7 on the Mac, the computer runs hotter than when she runs the Mac OS. She has noticed this several times and mentioned it to me and I am not sure if this is even possible. I would be interested in some educated thoughts on this matter.
    Thanks very much.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    Is is possible the software you daughter is running that is causing the CPU to work much harder. Windows 7 itself should add negligible stress to the MAC.

Has she checked to make sure the fans are running?

Joe
    Joe

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Laptops have utilities running that control the CPU, cooling fan and other coding that helps keep the laptop power consumption minimal and heat under control. Are all the necessary utilities installed so that Windows is able to perform the same functions?

Thanks
    Now this is all very interesting. I received an iMac last Christmas - Core2Duo 3.06Ghz, 500GB HD.

I was excited because I have wanted to get acquainted with Macs. I was very excited about installing Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit in a dual boot via Boot Camp. When Apple finally had Boot Camp available with Windows 7 drivers, I installed Win7. It runs great and the iMac screen is very crisp with clear vibrant colors.

Being a Windows person forever, I started booting to Windows everyday, and then began to alternate booting the Mac OS and Windows 7 every other day so I could continue to learn some things about Snow Leopard. In fact, I am in Snow Leopard right now, and have been since last night. It did not take long before noticing that Windows 7 causes the Mac to run warmer than does OS X. I do not understand this, but have observed it to be true. The most perplexing thing about it is I use both operating systems to do the same tasks, especially since installing MS Office 2008 for Mac.

Mac OS X 10.6 is a leaner OS than Windows 7, and perhaps it works the CPU less when running similar apps. Also, since Apple controls the hardware as well as the OS end of the business, perhaps the Macbook and the iMac run cooler because the hardware and OS were tailored for each other.

It has not been a critical heat issue, but I have wondered if anyone else had observed the same.

I have been wanting to buy a Macbook Pro and dual boot Windows 7, but have held back because I am apprehensive about how much warmer the laptop would run with Windows 7. I will be doing some research before making a move. If I cannot use Windows 7 on a Macbook, then I do not want a Macbook.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    The best way to tell, that is if her laptops BIOS has temp monitoring in it's "hardware" section, is to run
    each os for a specific time period and then boot to BIOS to check the temps after each of the operating
    systems have run. Each os would have to start from a cold off state for some measure of control.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Having no knowledge of "Boot Camp" is it just a boot loader or an emulator? {Inquiring Minds Want to Know!} If it's an emulator it will be taxing the CPU to a greater extent than Snow Leopard running in native mode along the lines suggested by JoeP.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    RG, this is a quote from Apple's support site about Boot Camp:

"You can run the Windows operating system on your Mac at native speed--without the performance penalty that comes with software emulation or "virtual machines." Windows applications have full access to multiple processors and multiple cores, accelerated 3D graphics, and high-speed ports and networking such as USB, FireWire, Wi-Fi, AirPort, and Gigabit Ethernet. Boot Camp drivers for Windows that let you use these features are on the Mac OS X installation DVD, as well as drivers for audio and Bluetooth. The drivers are automatically installed when you insert the disc into your Mac after installing Windows.

Wikipedia entry on Boot Camp reports that "Its functionality relies on BIOS emulation through EFI and a partition table information synchronization mechanism between GPT and MBR combined."

So no software emulation, but BIOS emulation through EFI.

Boot Camp provides the boot options to boot either OSX or Windows, and also provides Windows, including Windows 7, with the appropriate drivers to interface correctly with Mac hardware.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Gerald,

Thanks for the information.
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Thanks
    You are very welcome RG! Thanks for your thought about an emulator. I would very much like to know why there is a perceivable difference in operating temps between the two OSes.
    Deadeye81

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lou Sharoff View Post
    My daughter has a Mac notebook with the Mac OS and Windows 7 installed. Some of her scientific software is Windows based, so she needs both OS's. She insists that when she is running Windows 7 on the Mac, the computer runs hotter than when she runs the Mac OS. She has noticed this several times and mentioned it to me and I am not sure if this is even possible. I would be interested in some educated thoughts on this matter.
    Thanks very much.
    what program is she running? can she run it on both OS?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    I would very much like to know why there is a perceivable difference in operating temps between the two OSes.
    You already told us the probable answer :-
    "Also, since Apple controls the hardware as well as the OS end of the business,"

Windows can run a third party application "speedfan" which reports temperature actually measured by the processor itself.
    You may find that speedfan or an alternative will also run under MAC OS.
    If the MAC OS is really running cooler it may be because it is forcing the cooling fan into turbo fridge mode at a lower temperature.
    Apple cheapened the hardware of the first Apple II by omitting standard refresh circuitry for their dynamic memory,
    instead they used part of the memory array for the video display, and arranged that displaying video automatically refreshed all RAS/CAS lines.

Perhaps Apple have an el-cheapo hardware fan controller that puts the fan on just before silicon melt-down,
    and this might be a safety feature to cover the situation of a MAC OS crash when the software can no longer observe and regulate measured temperature.
    But under Windows there is no software control and the hardware can approach silicon meltdown.
    Not that Apple would penalize Windows users by deliberately reducing life expectancy of the processor ! ! !

Lounger
    Thanks
    Have you tried running windows update in custom mode and checked for drivers in the "optional" area? There may be drivers available there to help control the chipset and will regulate the fans better. Installing drivers from driver update sites can be disastrous, since most of them are virus downloaders. ma-config.com might be helpful, but be very careful with any driver site, do a full backup first and be prepared to wipe out the drive and install your backup. It might be well advised to have a pro do it for you. That computer was expensive. If a pro crashes it, then its on them to fix it. 7 is video hungry and does it differently than Mac, it may be normal to run a little hotter, but I would still check for optional windows updates in the custom mode.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGadgetFixer View Post
    Have you tried running windows update in custom mode and checked for drivers in the "optional" area? There may be drivers available there to help control the chipset and will regulate the fans better. Installing drivers from driver update sites can be disastrous, since most of them are virus downloaders. ma-config.com might be helpful, but be very careful with any driver site, do a full backup first and be prepared to wipe out the drive and install your backup. It might be well advised to have a pro do it for you. That computer was expensive. If a pro crashes it, then its on them to fix it. 7 is video hungry and does it differently than Mac, it may be normal to run a little hotter, but I would still check for optional windows updates in the custom mode.
    If this were Windows running on a PC, I would agree with your post. But this is Windows running in Emulation Mode on a Mac. MS Updates or drivers are not for Mac hardware, so folks, don't do this. It won't help, and it could harm the Mac.

Emulation, especially BIOS emulation, could alter the heat-management options on any computer. I presume this could happen on a Mac. But it is the greater size and complexity of the Windows OS (its 'footprint") which I suspect is causing the greater heating. That is due to the inherent inefficiencies of the Windows OS architecture, vs. the greater efficiency of the Mac OS. You may also notice that Windows in Emulation Mode accesses the Hard Drive more often and for longer periods than the Mac OS. This can also generate heat. Not a huge difference, but over time, with scientific applications running, it could be enough to be sensed.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    All hardware driver updates for Windows 7 installed on a Mac via Boot Camp, must come by means of updates through Boot Camp. There is a Boot Camp utility installed within Windows 7 for the purpose of updating device drivers that will work with the nuances of the Mac hardware. Standard Windows 7 drivers downloaded direct from hardware manufacturers can wreck the installation.
    Deadeye81