New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a recurring problem with Windows Installer not working. The error code for trying to perform Windows updates and being unsuccessful is, "80070641".
    I had the same difficulty several months ago.
    I have Win 7 Ultimate, 32-bit, installed on 2 internal hard drives and can boot from either one.
    One is quite old and so when it fails I would like to quickly change to the newer one.
    Several months ago, when I had the same failure to install programs that use Windows Installer, I found in, "Services" that the path for some were pointed to the newer drive Win 7 partition, L:, not the old one, C:, that I was operating in at the time. I changed the paths to C: in the registry and was able to perform the updates, etc., successfully.
    Now, I see that some of those Services are again pointing to L: and I have changed those to C: but, apparently, more are needed
    and I don't know where those are.
    Can you list all of the registry entries that should point to my C: drive in order for Windows Installer to work?
    Thank you very much for your help.
    Don

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    If you are keeping the two installations separate, (not sharing any common folders or partitions), then there should not be any registry entries in the "C:" registry pointing to the "L:" installation, and there should be no "L:" registry entries pointing to the "C:" installation.

If you are sharing some common folders or partitions, then it becomes a bit stickier.
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you, bbearren, for responding.

I do have sharing activated for both hard drives so that is, apparently, the problem.

Some of the entries that I changed to C: previously, reverted back to L: this time
    so I have changed them again to C:.

I luckily found those that were needed the last time this happened and Widows Installer
    began to work but does not now. I don't remember all of the ones I changed previously.

.If I knew all of the registry entries that are needed to be pointed to my C: drive in order for
    Windows Installer to work then I could change those now that are not pointing there.