Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thumbs up

My wife is using Word / Excel 2007 and is trying to copy a table from Excel into Word. That part is no big deal.

She wanted to paste it showing the formulas instead of the values. I went into Excel's options / advanced, changed the spreadsheet's properties to show formulas, re-did the paste and it worked fine.

NOW she wants the pasted spreadsheet to also retain the row / column headings so that the formulas are meaningful. Sheesh.

I've been poking around with Word / Excel 2007 and 2010 and I can't figure out how to do this.

Any help / suggestions that anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Tanks.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    As far as I know, there is no option for this as the row and column headings are part of the structure of Excel, not the contents of the spreadsheet.
    So, three options all of which will take a little work.
    1) Take a screenshot and crop it until only the the portion you want in the word document is visible (make sure of course that it includes the row and column headings). Ctrl + PrintScreen will take a screen shot.
    2)Add an additional label row and column in Word to the Excel spreadsheet (the ease of doing this will really depend on how the Excel Spreadsheet is pasted into Word.
    3)Print the spreadsheet out from Excel, using the Page Setup, Sheet, Row and Column Headings option. Create Headers/Footers that mimic the Word document, manual enter the page number. Insert an empty page into the Word document so that the pagination of the Word document remains consistent.
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You gotta be kidding.

This was actually not a big deal in 2003. You simply pasted as a "Picture (enhanced metafile)" and it got the job done. You mean to tell me this has completely disappeared?

Thanks
    You can still paste as an enhanced metafile, but doing this never pasted in the row and column headers.
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I posted this in a Microsoft forum as well, and they also say this is not possible with 2007 or 2010. Screen prints have also been suggested.

But it did work in 2003. I've seen the paste, and the labels are there. I'd post a sample document if I wanted to pursue this further. But for now, the answer is it can not be done in the 'newer' versions.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    This can still be done in the current versions of Excel. This link tells you how to do it with the earlier versions of Excel and the same method is still available
    http://www.exceluser.com/explore/copypic.htm

In Excel 2010 you:
    Go to Page Layout tab and click on the Page Setup launcher in the bottom right corner of the Page Setup group
    Go to the Sheet tab and tick the setting for 'Row and column headings' and click OK
    Select the range you want to copy
    Go to the Home tab and click the dropdown for Copy and choose 'Copy as Picture' and select the 'for printer' option
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew Lockton For This Useful Post:

grinder62 (2013-11-01)

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    This worked! Andrew, you rock!

Thank you!!!

Thanks
    Nifty!
    WebGenii Home Page

New Lounger
    Thanks
    For Excel 2007, a slight mod is necessary...Copy as Picture is actually under the "Paste" dropdown menu, as there is no Copy dropdown menu.

-Dave

New Lounger
    Thanks
    you can do this by hiding the cells you don't want (right click then 'hide) and selecting the desired cells including the titles

New Lounger
    Thanks
    i should say you also have to use the 'special paste' enhanced metafile