New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am a translator and I work with documents that are complex (user manuals, for complex pieces of equipment), usually multi-authored and with several, complex TOCs (general with lots of headings and sub and sub-sub headings, plus illustrations with embedded text, tables…).

The translation app will stop / crash / get in a loop whenever it finds a number of format quirks, among which:

-Parts written in different WORD versions

-Reviews not fully erased

-lots of hidden (and disparate) metadata

-TOC formatting anomalies

-etc

I need, first of all, to SEE all of this and then correct / delete as appropriate. I can do so in some cases but not always and, in any case, I do not know wherher I have seen ALL the hidden text / metadata or format discrepancies.Is there ANY app / method for this?

I suspect that this is not a new problem, and I have been searching the lounge for the answers –which no doubt are there, at least partially- but I frankly get lost.

Can anybody either (a) give a solution or (b) point me to the proper tips?

FYI: I use Word 2003.

Thanks a lot indeed

Marcel

Thanks
    The Reviewing toolbar should be useful for finding tracked changes (revision marks). The comment pane lets you see all comments in the document in one place.

You can turn on the display of hidden text using Tools>Options>View, but you still will have to use Find (use the Format pop-up, the Font... to find Hidden text) to quickly jump to the next hidden text. I'm not sure what you mean by disparate metadata.

As for a single tool that coordinates all of this information, you would need a third party product.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    You might also find that saving the document as an RTF file, then closing & opening the RTF file, which you can then re-save in doc format, gets rid of a lot of the extraneous stuff.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Along those same lines of saving as a different format, then back, you can also try saving the file to HTML and then back to Word. A third party tool we've used to "peek" into hidden codes is CrossEyes (by Levit and James). This was an invaluable tool when we were globally converting docs from WordPerfect to Word (via macros) and needed to figure out where a document was "breaking."

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    OpenOffice is worth a try. It is pretty clever at recovering corrupted Word files.

Or save as web page HTML as suggested above.

Or maybe copy the whole doc to clipboard without the last paragraph mark and paste back to new doc.

Not sure if these achieve exactly what you want, but all are good for getting rid of extraneous junk in Word files.