Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks
    Having just finished the article on IE9 in the latest issue of Windows Secrets, I have two questions Why bother, since in order to use it one would have to buy a copy of Win7?
    Why give a good review to something which is in my humble opinion another ploy to try to get one to buy Win7?

Thanks
    I don't see this up and coming version release of IE9 as a ploy to buy anything. It's merely a long overdue version release.
    Why go through some tedious effort in creating new code, only to back peddle to an outdated os like XP.
    XP users are quite content to stick with their Firefox and Chrome browsers anyway, so no big loss to them.

For me on W7, I'm looking forward to trying IE9.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Clint, I agree. I also do not want to play with an outdated OS that soon will loose support when Win 7, in my humble opinion, is so much better. I already have grabbed a copy of IE 9 beta. I am very pleased with it and use it as my default browser at present. I also have both FF and Chrome latest released versions (FF would not upgrade, had to uninstall and reinstall). I sometimes open FF and Chrome just because, but always seem to gravitate back to IE, now IE 9.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So I'm supposed to pay money just to get a browser, Thanks but no Thanks. The retail price at microsoft.com for win7 is $147

Thanks
    There are many sources to purchase Win 7 including MS. There are many deals available for Win 7 and the various versions. However if you are happy with XP and FF or Chrome or whatever then stick with it. MS is not the only OS manufacturer that updates their OS. What version is MAC up to now? IE 9 has not even been released yet. Only the Beta version is available. Why should MS make the beta version of their latest browser backward compatible to an outdated OS?

Beside, you would not be paying whatever amount just to get a new browser, you would be paying for an excellent new OS that many of us believe is so much better than XP that it is hard to compare. The new browser is just the icing on the cake so to speak. MS is moving forward, in the right direction, with this new OS. As I stated if you are happy with XP then keep it. Many others have chosen to do this as well. Many others have chosen to dual boot XP and Win 7, whatever.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert A Nelson View Post
    Having just finished the article on IE9 in the latest issue of Windows Secrets, I have two questions Why bother, since in order to use it one would have to buy a copy of Win7?
    Why give a good review to something which is in my humble opinion another ploy to try to get one to buy Win7?
    Think of this as a catalyst to stimulate better software that you can use on your older OS such as Firefox and Chrome.
    As such it will benefit all.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

New Lounger
    Thanks
    IF it is so great (IE9) why does MIcrosoft require SP1 for Win7 to use it?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    IF it is so great (IE9) why does MIcrosoft require SP1 for Win7 to use it?
    They don't. There was some incorrect information posted on Technet. See the updated version at IE9 beta faq.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    What is the point of this discussion? I have been working with computers for 50 years and I would hate to think where we would have been if we had all had Mr. Nelson's attitude. I would still have been using a machine with 20,000 characters of memory, requiring an air-conditioned room of 1,100 square feet and programming in machine code. It is a good guiding principle, if you can afford it, to keep one's OS up to date. XP is a good OS and I kept a version available all the time I was using Vista, but, having tried Windows 7, both 32- and 64-bit, I was quickly convinced and gave up XP. Windows 7 is good.

Having said that, Mr Nelson, I had a traumatic start with Vista when it was first released, although it turned out fine in the end after hardware and software manufacturers sorted themselves out. Windows 7 is nothing like that so keep an open mind. I pre-ordered Windows 7 for 46 and received the installation DVD on the release date with both 32- and 64-bit versions. Probably my best ever computer purchase.

Thanks
    I guess the whole point is that MS has made a business decision that there latest (and greatest if all the initial reports of this beta version) browser shall be matched to their latest (and I believe, greatest) OS. This is a business decision based on what I believe are solid facts. It is expensive to make a browser, then make it work for an old OS that is on it's way out. Market share for XP is continually dropping. I would prefer having MS put their development dollars into developing new products that make our future computing needs better, not our former computing needs.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    They don't. There was some incorrect information posted on Technet. See the updated version at IE9 beta faq.

Joe
    Smells like sour grapes to me.
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Maybe it is sour grapes, or maybe I stumbled into some Windows fanboys. In any case I perfectly willing to consider the matter closed. Not everybody has to have the latest and greatest new shiny object

Thanks
    Maybe it is sour grapes, or maybe I stumbled into some Windows fanboys. In any case I perfectly willing to consider the matter closed. Not everybody has to have the latest and greatest new shiny object
    If you don't want to read people's opinions, then don't start a thread like this. Yes some of us agree that Win 7 is a great OS. When you make statement's like you have you must have known there was going to be strong sentiment about the subject. Perhaps that was your idea from the start. I wish you success with your present system. The reason they call these Personal Computers is that we can use them the way we want, we can use the apps we want, so it's your decision what you have. Have a great evening.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Thanks
    Nice of you to express willingness to close this thread, but naive to expect to do so by firing off a couple of gratuitous insults. I suspect that there aren't any Windows (Microsoft) 'fanboys' in this thread (this is not an invitation to start a new rant!) and few who must have 'the latest and greatest new shiny object'. You forget that those who have kept pace with Windows version development can try out IE9 for free, so why not?
    Finally, Mr Nelson, remember this: There is always a better way.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Having just finished the article on IE9 in the latest issue of Windows Secrets, I have two questions
    You are not the only reader to express disappointment that Windows Secrets shifted its balance of coverage toward a newer product that he has no plans to use any time soon. Even if that information is not relevant to you now, it can help you make an informed decision about when or whether to buy new software.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast