2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi, I upgraded to Win 7 many months ago and have an Old Windows folder that I guess has the old vista stuff parked on my desktop. When I scan for viruses and malware or anything that scans the complete computer is takes much longer because it scans this old windows folder, which is pretty large (15 gigs) as it contains the old op sys (I guess). My question is, Now that I have been using Win 7 for months and all seems well, can I get rid of the this folder? I don't think there is anything in this folder that is being used by the new OS, but as I am one step above a newbi, I thought I would ask what you all thought. Thank you for any responses....Stan

Thanks
    Hi Stan,

If you have recovered all your user files you want from Windows.old, then feel free to delete it. Just delete in Windows Explorer as you would any file.

Windows 7 does not need Windows.old for anything.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Stan,

Just take a last look through windows.old to ensure you have gotten everything you need from this folder. All your old data, favorites, contacts, etc were here. Since you say it has been many months, I suspect you have already gotten all useful info from the folder. Because of it's size it will take a while to delete it. Normally this deletion puts it in the recycle bin. You would then have to empty the recycle bin which again will take a while. Might I suggest a procedure that bypasses the recycle bin. Simply hold down shift when you select delete and the folder will go away without heading into the recycle bin.

Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    If this is from doing the upgrade, then there MAY be a entry in the ADD/Remove programs to remove restore old OS.
    Also see http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ows-old-folder

How do I remove the Windows.old folder?

If you install Windows 7 by performing a custom installation and don't format the partition during the installation process, files that were used in your previous version of Windows are stored in the Windows.old folder. The type of files in this folder depends on your computer. After you’ve used Windows 7 for a while—for example, one or two weeks—and you’re confident that your files and settings are back to where you want them to be, you can safely reclaim disk space by using Disk Cleanup to delete the Windows.old folder.

Warning
    Before you use Disk Cleanup, make sure that all of your files and settings are in Windows 7 where you expect them to be. Deleting the Windows.old folder can’t be undone.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Dave, Ted and Gerald,
    Thank you all for your suggestions. I will delete old windows, it is great to have a resource like you all, take care.......Stan