New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am having a problem with my Windows 7 Pro edition when burning data to a CD-RW.

When I add new data to existing data already initially burned on the CD-RW, the data has been written correctly to the disk, but when I view the disk after writing the new data, I never see the new data...the only data I see is the data that was written to the CD-RW at the FIRST burning. When I place my CD-RW in my other computer with Windows XP, all the data appears...initial burning and all subsequent burnings; place it in my Windows 7 CD drive and NO secondary data is showing. In one program I have for burning, I actually get a dialog box saying "the data has been written correctly to the disk, but the number of files does not match the expected file count. Most likely, the file system structure has not been written correctly and some files will not appear on the disk." What is going on with this "file system structure has not been written correctly?"

This is a new wrinkle in the sheet for me. I have 5 CD/DVD read/write drives, and they all work the same...only initial files show and other files are not visible when re-burning to a CD-RW. It is really an Agatha Christie mystery to me.

Any help with this frustrating problem would CERTAINLY be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Have you tried using W7 to burn instead of some unnamed third party software?
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Thanks
    Are you formatting the CD-RW disks before writing any files to them?
    Create a new drive image before making system changes, in case you need to start over!

"Let them that don't want it have memories of not gettin' any." "Gratitude is riches and complaint is poverty and the worst I ever had was wonderful." Brother Dave Gardner "Experience is what you get when you're looking for something else." Sir Thomas Robert Deware. "The problem is not the problem. The problem is your attitude about the problem. Do you understand?" Captain Jack Sparrow.
    Unleash Windows

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To RussB

No I have not used the Win7 burn to burn these CD-RW...I will give it a try. Sounds like another case of Microsoft wanting to take control again...why can't a third party burn program do the job? I will certainly take your suggestion and see if that works. Thanks for your input; I really appreciate it.

Jac Schu

New Lounger
    Thanks
    To bbearen,

I did not think of having to format the CD-RW before writing to it. I have never had to do that in the past with XP so I just figured all would be the same. Thanks very much for your suggestion. I will give that a try and see what happens. Hope this as well as the other input to my post does the trick.

Jac Schu