Thread: Identity theft!

Lounger
    Thanks
    I've recently been approached by a firm offering "Identity Theft Prevention Services". The company is the one that provides most pre-printed cheques to the banks and credit unions in Canada. Their web site is www.idefence.com with a phone number of 1-866-323-7187. As a long time reader of Windows Secrets and The LangaList prior to that, and a life member and heavy respector of your writers' and members technical ideas and suggestions, I'd like your opinion on whether this company can actually provide the services they seem to say they are providing, especially the web-monitoring of Credit Card Numbers, etc. I realize that, at the moment, this particular service is just being marketed in Canada, but there may be similar offerings in the USA and it's something I haven't seen addressed before.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi :

I doubt any company offering this kind of "service" can actually do so.
    Recommend you do an extensive Google "Search" on "IDefense" .
    For the BEST in what counts in Life :

http://www.ctftoronto.com

Thanks
    There are "underground" forums where people buy and sell credit card numbers. I have no idea whether the service would be able to see much of that activity, or whether I would want to trust them to hold my card numbers.

Thanks
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Remember that 90% of Identity theft is done by a family member or is the source of the leak. These services will not cover for any family relates theft.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the ideas everyone. I myself don't believe they can do much in this area, having been involved in IT for almost 50 years now. Just wanted to make sure other people thought like me. I got so phobic about this stuff during my time in the military that I've shredded everything for years as well.

I looked at your suggestion Roadrunner and most of what I read it does seems to be handled quite adequately in my Trend Micro Internet Security that I've used for many years.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been interested for some time in establishing an association with an "ID protection service". My biggest problem with the agencies I have looked into is that there is no mention of bonding or any other type of "service guarantee" that would be a deterrent to an individual handling MY financial information. I can not take that kind of a chance.

Thanks
    Basically, these companies (at least inside of the USA) can at best do the paperwork and establish the credit and financial monitoring services which you could put in place yourself, if you want to take the time to go to several credit information companies, all of your banks and financial institutions, and a handful of government sites. And there would some costs to you in some of these areas. I don't live in Canada, so your laws may be different, but in the USA, putting credit monitoring in place is entirely free only if you believe your identity has been compromised and you have filed a local Police Report. Otherwise, there are fees to do this yourself. And with a third party, you never know what they can really do for you, and you pay them an additional fee on top of the fees I have mentioned.

In the USA, the CEO and founder of one of these companies, who used to post his Social Security Number on billboards, had his identity stolen. So you can never get an absolute guarantee. You must exercise common sense, and not spread personal and financial information all around the Internet, especially at Social Networking sites and when filling out on line Registration forms. And in stores and restaurants, NEVER let any employee disappear from your sight while holding your credit card, a personal check, or a drivers license or government ID. No one can steal what is not out there in the first place.
    -- Bob Primak --

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Primak View Post
    And in stores and restaurants, NEVER let any employee disappear from your sight while holding your credit card, a personal check, or a drivers license or government ID.
    That's incredibly difficult for most restaurants. If you don't want to trust your server (or the cashier) with your credit card, it's probably easier to pay cash.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jscher2000 View Post
    That's incredibly difficult for most restaurants. If you don't want to trust your server (or the cashier) with your credit card, it's probably easier to pay cash.
    This reminds me of a favorite Dilbert comic.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)