Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a specially formatted Word 2007 called aaa.docx, which I load often but don't want to use as the default. I have a link to it on the desktop, which takes 3 clicks to invoke (the Show Desktop box and double click on the link). I want to pin it to the Task Bar for one-click access.

I can load the document, right click on the Task Bar tab and use the Pin to Task Bar option, but once I close the document, it disappears from the Task Bar.

I know I could make it a separate template, but I want one-click access.

I know there's a way to use the command line (invoking Run) to open Word and load a named document, but I don't remember the grammar. If I use this, can I pin it to the Task Bar? Or can I create a second Word Desktop link that loads aaa.docx and pin that to the Task Bar? Or am I missing something simple and basic?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Krsmav,

Do you have a MS Word Program icon pinned to your Win7 Taskbar? If so, your document will be added to it when you drag it to the Taskbar. All documents are added to the appropriate Program icon on the Taskbar. Just right click on the Word icon, and you will see recent documents listed. As you move your mouse over each one, you will see a pin on the right side of the document name. When you find a document there that you want to permanently pin, just click on the pin beside the name, and you will see the document move to the top under the pinned section. This is called a jump list.

Once you have pinned the document, right click the icon, move up to the document name and with one click you can open your document.

If you do not have a Word icon on your Taskbar, locate the MS Word executable, right click and select Pin to Taskbar, or simply drag it to the Taskbar. You can use the MS Word Start menu entry to pin the Word icon to the Taskbar.

Check out this short tutorial by Woody Leonhard for more information.

If you absolutely want to pin an individual file to the Taskbar independent of the Word program icon, there is a work around available. Check out this tutorial. When the tutorial says folder, think file. I have successfully used this procedure to place an individual file on the Taskbar. The author of this tutorial has one on adding a file to the taskbar, but believe me, this tutorial is easier to follow.

The problem with doing the above work around is that it would not take many "special" pinning of individual files to totally fill your Taskbar. That is why I normally use the method MS designed, which is pinning files to program icon jump lists.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks very much. I think right-clicking on the Word Task Bar Icon is all I need.