Thread: Re Instating

Thanks
    I'm thinking of testing Linux. To do so, I will make a new partition on my hdd. If I don't like it, will I have any trouble returning my system to its present state using Acronis 2010 ? How much space will Linux need ?

[attachment=90144:ted.JPG]
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,

I would like to offer another route to test a Linux distro, one that presents less trouble and risk. Check out this short tutorial on installing Wubi. Whatever the default size showing if you choose to install, I would recommend around 15GB if you can spare the space, and you should be able to designate your D:\ drive for the installation.

Here is another link about Wubi.

When the install is finished, and you reboot your PC, you will see a Windows Boot Menu so you can click on which OS you want to start. It will not mess with your partition, MBR, or any other settings within Windows. It will not install GRUB (Linux Boot Manager) either.

Once you play with Ubuntu for a while, if you decide to remove it, just go to Programs and Features to uninstall Ubuntu as you would any Windows program.

This is the easiest way to try Linux and have good performance without potential headaches from doing a normal complete install. And it runs much faster than using the LiveCD feature to play with Linux.

You can use the Ubuntu Repository to install Ubuntu apps, and pretty much do anything else with this type of install. The only negative I am aware of is you may need to keep a closer eye on your disk fragmentation.

On a different note, the last time I repartitioned and installed Ubuntu, I set around 15GB for the /Home partition (user file partition), 12GB for the /root partition (which stores system files), and 3GB as a swap partition. When you install, GRUB will be written to your MBR so you can choose Ubuntu or Windows when booting. When I decided to remove Ubuntu, I just wiped out these three partitions, and merged the space back into the original partition. I then booted to the Windows installation DVD, and used the Windows Recovery Environment (or Recovery Console if in XP) to fix the MBR, and all was well. There was no negative impact on my Windows installation. I have no experience using Acronis to restore your current system setup after doing a full fledged install of Ubuntu.

Whatever you decide to do, Ubuntu Forums are absolutely your best friend.

Try the Wubi route first. I think you will like it. Have fun!
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    I'm thinking of testing Linux. To do so, I will make a new partition on my hdd. If I don't like it, will I have any trouble returning my system to its present state using Acronis 2010 ? How much space will Linux need ?

[attachment=90144:ted.JPG]
    I did this very thing and posted a thread on elliminating Linux and getting back everything. Your Acronis should be a big help, but the thing that had to be done was to fix the MBR and I do show how I fixed mine.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Gerald, after running for 1 hour, this appeared,

[attachment=90147:g.JPG]

Should I continue ?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Roderunner View Post
    Gerald, after running for 1 hour, this appeared,

[attachment=90147:g.JPG]

Should I continue ?
    Check Post timestamp

[attachment=90148:w.JPG]

Thanks
    Roderunner, I have not seen that happen before. Did you install Wubi and run Ubuntu for about an hour before this appeared?

I would stop it. This is apparently downloading to install a netbook version of Ubuntu.

If you see it again, I would uninstall Wubi and download Wubi from this site.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Roderunner, I have not seen that happen before. Did you install Wubi and run Ubuntu for about an hour before this appeared?

I would stop it. This is apparently downloading to install a netbook version of Ubuntu.

If you see it again, I would uninstall Wubi and download Wubi from this site.
    Gerald, I am installing it on a netbook. Here's progress :-

[attachment=90149:a.JPG]

Thanks
    Gerald, I installed Utorrent befor using your new D/L site. Same result.

[attachment=90150:a.JPG]

What about this method. http://seogadget.co.uk/the-ubuntu-in...stall-from-USB

Thanks
    Roderunner, I had no idea you were actually installing this on a netbook. I was unaware that Wubi could be used to install a netbook version of Ubuntu. I installed a standard version of Ubuntu on a Lenovo S10 netbook, and it ran horribly (it would not scale itself properly for a 10 inch screen). I had to replace it with an Ubuntu Netbook Remix that was tailored specifically for netbook installations. But I think that was 9.04.

From what I am seeing, it says "ubuntu-10.04-netbook-i386.iso.torrent" How long has it been downloading? It is unbelievable it would take as long as your screenshot indicates to download this. What internet connection do you have?

Personally, I would not download this. It is taking way too much time to be worth the effort. Maybe it would download faster if you found an Ubuntu ISO that is not downloaded via torrent? I've never used a torrent download for Ubuntu, and it only takes 30 to 40 minutes to download the standard ISO on cable.
    Deadeye81

Thanks
    Gerald, If you read the link I posted, it will show you how I did it. Ubuntu Netbook is now installed, wireless is working, updates done, settings half done, still needs password to do everything but I'm getting there.
    Before installing, I made a partition for it but looked easier to let it install using default / pre selected method. Here's how it looks.

[attachment=90155:s.JPG]

Thanks
    Congrats Roderrunner! I'm glad you got it installed. For some reason, I still thought your were using Wubi.

How long did it take to do the installation? I might replace my earlier Netbook Ubuntu install with this new one. I have Ubuntu 10.04 LTS installed as the only OS on a four year old Toshiba Core Duo laptop, and it runs very well indeed. Once in a while I like to take a vacation from Windows.

While no OS is invulnerable, I've never had to run any AV or any other anti-malware on Linux. I've never had any infection problems with any Linux distro in the last four years. Ubuntu also has a built in firewall called iptables, just as Mac OSX.

Files can be saved in the MS Office format (Office 97 - 2000) in OpenOffice, so most of your documents can be veiwed and modified by either Office suite. Sometimes I lose some of the formatting, but no big deal.

I'm going to move this thread over to the Non-Microsoft OSes since it is primarily about an Ubuntu installation.
    Deadeye81

Thanks
    Gerald, the link in my post explains how to do it. Using this method you can d/l any version as an .iso and the UNetbootin will put it on a USB Hdd. To d/l the 700mb iso took my slow connection 90ish minutes, installation to USB was pdq, install on laptop jut a little longer.

Thanks
    Hi Roderunner,

Thanks. I used UNetbootin to install the earlier version of Ubuntu for Netbooks, but at that time, the best Ubuntu for netbooks was named Remix. It worked great, and had a snappy desktop that was just right for a netbook. When I used UNetbootin to install a standard i386 version of Ubuntu on the Lenovo netbook, the desktop was very choppy and aggravating to use. But that was at least 18 months ago. Ubuntu Remix was the only version that ran well on the Lenovo. Apparently, the developers have improved Ubuntu so you can now install and run well the standard versions of Ubuntu on a netbook. I'm going to check out the 10.04 version for netbook installation soon. I may want to switch to that one.

Aren't you glad it did not really take thousands of hours to download and install? I do not remember seeing such outlandish "remaining time" estimates.

I hope you enjoy Ubuntu!
    Deadeye81

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gerald Shepard View Post
    Hi Roderunner,

Aren't you glad it did not really take thousands of hours to download and install? I do not remember seeing such outlandish "remaining time" estimates.

I hope you enjoy Ubuntu!
    So am I.

[attachment=90163:index.jpg]

As I was only testing it before installing on a friends laptop, mine is now plain old Vista H Prem, which, believe it or not I prefer compared to Desktop with W7.