Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello.

Am I missing the point here or what ? In the last paid article from Langa, he says that even if one has 4 G of RAM only 3 will be seen but he maintains that the 4 G are indeed used. I always thought that it was a question of the OS mode and that a 32 bit system, due to the binaries, could not use > 3 G. Is Langa missing a cog or is my information slipping ? Fire away, my shield is up.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello again.

Speaking of RAM, I have this Toshiba laptop and it has an SDHC slot into which I have an 8 G card. Anybody knows to what extent it parallels or supplements the 4 G of installed RAM ? I did set up " ReadyBoost " and the machine took ownership of the full 8 G.

Be good. . Jean.

Edit : Running Win Se7en - 64 bit.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Parrot View Post
    Hello.

Am I missing the point here or what ? In the last paid article from Langa, he says that even if one has 4 G of RAM only 3 will be seen but he maintains that the 4 G are indeed used. I always thought that it was a question of the OS mode and that a 32 bit system, due to the binaries, could not use > 3 G. Is Langa missing a cog or is my information slipping ? Fire away, my shield is up.
    Jean, I have read XP32 uses the fourth GB for internal processes and resources. Only a Windows programmer could talk more in detail about what internals that actually involves, but this is surely what Langa means by Windows making use of that last GB.

Langa is an excellent editor with a wide range of experience, and I keep all his older LangaList issues from way back, because they provide an instant refresher on almost any computing issue.

Thanks
    I believe what is happening is that on a 64 Bit system the Windows kernel uses the first 1 GB and thus only 3 GB is available and seen for use. In a 32 Bit system only about 3.2 GB of RAM can be accessed (this number varies somewhat depending on the system and who you talk to). Once the Windows kernel is loaded, less than this is available for whatever else. Perhaps I am misinterpreting this but this is the way I believe things work.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You are just getting RAM and Addressable limits mixed together. In a stock 32-bit system only about 2.75 to 3.25 (maybe 3.5 tops) gigs of RAM can be addressed because the rest of the addressable 4 gigs needs to be reserved for addressing other components of the system so they can be used as well.

So in other words, yes all 4 gigs get addressed BUT there is only 2.75 to 3.25 gigs of space available for RAM to be addressed.

Thanks
    If you have W7 you can see exactly how your RAM is used. To get there Right-Click "Computer" select 'Manage' then 'Performance Monitor' You may need to click the orb in the upper left of the window to see this display.
    This is from my W7pro 64bit system with 4Gig of RAM:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Do you "Believe"? Do you vote? Please Read:
    LEARN something today so you can TEACH something tomorrow.
    DETAIL in your question promotes DETAIL in my answer.
    Dominus Vobiscum <))>(

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Russ, thanks a mega.

I had to go a different way, I am on HP, not the same as your OS, but I found it anyway. I also use a programme called Everest to see/obtain the same information. My purpose in starting this thread was to elucidate a statement from Langa. I was always under the might be wrong impression, that the limit was binary and that a 32 bit OS could not address more than 3+ G of RAM. Langa seemed to imply that it would show the 3+ G but use much more. I am now wondering if one has a machine with, let us say, 8 G of RAM will the presentation be the same ?

I tried a Google for information but had to leave as we got a dinner invitation. Going home tomorrow and will then have the time to investigate further.

I agree qith you, Langa is an authority to recon with, it just irks me when something does not jive with a long established statement paradigm

Have a large evening. .Jean..

Thanks
    Why not read the views of someone who knows more than humanly possibly about Windows, viz. Mark Russinovich? Here's his Pushing the Limits of Windows: Physical Memory article.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am now wondering if one has a machine with, let us say, 8 G of RAM will the presentation be the same ?
    About the only reason at this time to go to 64-bit systems is to get beyond the 4 Gigabyte limit of addressable space with 32-bit systems. So if you have a 64-bit system then there is plenty of room for the 8 gigs of RAM and for all the other components that need to be addresssed.

Maybe this will help. You run a circus and you have one big ass clown car and you want to take all the clowns to town for an ice cream cone at the same time. There's 40 clowns and theres just room for 40 clowns in the car. BUT at the last minute, the bearded lady wants to go with (of course, she always wants to go to the ice cream parlour!) and then the sword swallower, and the lion tamer...all integral part of the circus as well so you can't rightly refuse. Problem; there is not enough room in the clown car for 40 clowns and the bearded lady and the sword swallower and the lion tamer.

So you have to make a management decision, alright I only have one bearded lady, 1 sword swallower and one lion tamer....and 40 freakin' clowns! So 10 clowns are out and the bearded lady, the sword swallower and the lion tamer are in, because then you still have a working circus whereas otherwise, ya just got 40 clowns.

Clear as mud? Ya got 4 gigs to work with and ya gotta fit everything in and still come up with a working computer. It also might help if you throw out the arbitrary 4 gigs of RAM (easily confused with 4 gigs of addressable space--the limit of a stock 32-bit system). Say there's 36 gigs of RAM in the system...still can only fit 2.75 to 3.25 gigs in. 367 gigs of RAM, same thing, can only fit 2.75 to 3.25 gigs in.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Batcher, hello.

Thanks for the URL, I have it saved and will read it all in a more leisure period. Just got back home after 5 hours of driving. It looks like a fine education. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    I have to get this to the proper signee. Sorry for the dupe.

Batcher, hello.

Thanks for the URL, I have it saved and will read it all in a more leisure period. Just got back home after 5 hours of driving. It looks like a fine education. Jean.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Byron, hello.

>>> 4 gigs of RAM (easily confused with 4 gigs of addressable space.

This was where I was confused, not by your clear mud slung by all these clowns. Today is a fine day, I learned something.

As long as my machines run, it is all fine with me and they do. I even keep some friends' machines going.

Be good and again thanks. Jean.