4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I am running Windows 7 Professional on a 64-bit notebook. I downloaded XP mode and Windows Virtual PC from a Microsoft website so I could run my 32-bit XP programs on the notebook. When I click on the Windows Virtual PC shortcut, I get the following message:

Unable to start Windows Virtual PC because hardware-assisted virtualization is disabled. Do the following. (1) Restart the computer and enter BIOS setup. (2) Search virtualization settin in BIOS and enable the setting. (3) Save BIOS settings. (4) Power off the computer, wait for a few seconds and start the computer. .

I don't know how to enter the Bios. I was told that my 32-bit XP programs would not run on top of Windows 7 Professional, which I believe is incorrect information. Any suggestions what I should do?

Thank you.

Lounger
    Thanks
    I am running Win7 Pro 64bit and have quite a few 32bit programs running under it with no problems. I think you should install the 32 bit programs you want. You should not have any problems running them. Very old 16 bit programs are unable to run in that environment, but you should be OK. If you do not know how to access the BIOS maybe you should not go there until you read more about that aspect of your computer. I hope this helps.
    Phasr

Sonoran Desert

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    I don't know how to enter the Bios. I was told that my 32-bit XP programs would not run on top of Windows 7 Professional, which I believe is incorrect information. Any suggestions what I should do?
    moon,
    Hello, I have "fooled" with "VM" and BIOS and it's not too hard .
    1. To enter into "BIOS" on my PC (HP Pavilion Desk top ) is done at "boot" time. I select "Esc" for "boot menu" and F-10 for "configure" ...the one you want is "configure"
    2. once into "BIOS" find the check box to "enable" "VM" Tick it off and select "save changes", and exit. You then should be good to go.
    Regards Fred
    PS: Yes as suggested by phasr.... be careful, and take your time, and read the screens thoroughly
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    Hi,

I am running Windows 7 Professional on a 64-bit notebook. I downloaded XP mode and Windows Virtual PC from a Microsoft website so I could run my 32-bit XP programs on the notebook. When I click on the Windows Virtual PC shortcut, I get the following message:

Unable to start Windows Virtual PC because hardware-assisted virtualization is disabled. Do the following. (1) Restart the computer and enter BIOS setup. (2) Search virtualization settin in BIOS and enable the setting. (3) Save BIOS settings. (4) Power off the computer, wait for a few seconds and start the computer. .

Thank you.
    You are undoubtedly running 32 Bit apps already. To check this out open windows explorer. under the root drive (C you will see both Program Files and Program Files (x86). The programs in the Program Files (x86) are 32 Bit apps. All the apps in the Program Files are 64 Bit apps. Check it out.

[attachment=90152:32Bit64Bit.png]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks everyone. I did check out the C: drive and saw the x86 folder. There are quite a few programs running there. I also downloaded some programs from my XP box, and they are running fine. So I will put off XP mode and Virtual PC until I know more about what I am doing. Everyone have a Great day.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    Moon 1130, hi.

I run Office 2000 on my Win-7 Toshiba, all of Office and have nary a problem. I do not know ehre this legend got started but most all 32-bit programmes run on 64-bit OS.

Some of my printers are finicky and will not run on the Win-7 64 but I have others. I ran Office 2000 on all my machines, from Me, 2000, XPP and Vista, all very joyfully.

Have great evening. Jean.