3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I cannot get my PC to auto update time. Windows Time service is set to automatic, but gives a 1053 error. I tried to start and stop the service and unregister and register it and I get:

D:\WINDOWS>net stop w32time
    The Windows Time service is not started.
    More help is available by typing NET HELPMSG 3521.
    D:\WINDOWS>w32tm /unregister
    The following error occurred: Access is denied. (0x80070005)

D:\WINDOWS>w32tm /unregister
    The following error occurred: Access is denied. (0x80070005)

D:\WINDOWS>w32tm /register
    The following error occurred: The specified service has been marked for deletion
    . (0x80070430)

Any suggestions?

Thanks
    Yes, switch to Win 7!

Seriously, you do not mention which version of XP, which SP, etc. There may have been a problem that developed in your version. Have you checked and verified no malware, viruses, etc?
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You're right. I forgot. This is the XP location, but here it is:

Windows XP, SP3, current on all patches.
    DELL XPS 630i, 6MB, 3.16 GHZ, 1,333 FSB, INTEL CORE 2 E8500, DUAL CORE 6MB CACHE;
    4GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at RAM;800MHz - 4 DIMMs memory

No, I'm clean on viruses, etc.

I've seen these messages via a Google search, so I'm not the only one. I just didn't see a solution.

And I am planning on W7 as soon as I can get the time and courage...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wsc3 View Post
    And I am planning on W7 as soon as I can get the time and courage...
    Does not take any courage. The change to Win 7 takes a couple of hours. If you do a clean (custom) install, it will create a folder in your C directory that includes the entire old OS. You can grab everything useful and bring it to the new OS. It will take a few days to get accustomed to Win 7. A couple of sites to help are: How To Geek and Paul Thurrott's Win 7 Supersite. One other site is Windows Seven Forums.

I would check out these sites prior to installing Win 7. A great article on how to clean install Windows Seven is here.

Have fun with Win 7.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    If the service has been marked for deletion you will need to let Windows finish it's work, but it may not be happy as the time service should be a protected file and will be replaced automatically. Try running this command in a DOS box: sfc /scannow

An alternative to using the Windows time service would be Nettime. Either way you should set the time source to north-america.pool.ntp.org

cheers, Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted: Thanks for the great references. Actually, I have so much s/w to move over (read: reinstall), I'm guessing that's where it gets tricky. I was also thinking about moving to an SSD too. We'll see. Since it'll be a clean install, I'd expect the o/s to go in easily. The multitude of app's, some from years ago, I may lose (64 bit). And, you always get those spurious errors from M/S or a query/flag about some h/w driver that requires troubleshooting. That's what eats up your time. Did you experience this?

PT: Why is it marked for deletion? What does that mean and how does it happen? Once it's deleted, it reappears huh? Then, will it cooperate? I may try NetTime. Great tip. Thanks.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wsc3 View Post
    Ted: Thanks for the great references. Actually, I have so much s/w to move over (read: reinstall), I'm guessing that's where it gets tricky. I was also thinking about moving to an SSD too. We'll see. Since it'll be a clean install, I'd expect the o/s to go in easily. The multitude of app's, some from years ago, I may lose (64 bit). And, you always get those spurious errors from M/S or a query/flag about some h/w driver that requires troubleshooting. That's what eats up your time. Did you experience this?
    I did not get these errors at all. I upgraded a total of 4 laptops and a desktop early on. I do have to admit the laptops were all purchased with Vista. I clean installed them all. Did not received any of those type error messages we have all grown accustomed to. The upgrade was the easiest experience I have ever has with an MS OS, and I started with 3.1 way back when. It was pleasantly surprising how easy things were.

In my experience both 32 Bit and 64 Bit apps work well with Win 7. You may find some 32 Bit and most 16 Bit apps that falter simply because the developers of the apps have chosen not to update their apps. For these situations you can set up a XP dual boot or simply set up a virtual environment with XP. The easiest is, if you have Win 7 Pro or higher version, you can set up XP Mode directly from MS. I do not have this problem so I have not set up this mode.

I would definitely run the Windows Seven Upgrade Advisor and check at the Windows Compatibility Center. Good Luck!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    When you attempt to remove / un-install a service you need to wait for Windows to stop using it - why it was removed I don't know.
    Did you try SFC?

cheers, Paul