Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Folks

I need to do a clean install of my Vista, What I need to know is will my computer connect to the internet via my wireless? I will need to get updates and such as I am installing (or shortly after) -- Will I need to reconfigure or reconnect to the router?

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I don't know whether I fully understand this question but my take on it is that you would do a clean install, then configure your network connection to connect to your wireless router and then do your updates

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Paul,

I wasn't sure if my computer would automaticaly detect the router or not, from what you say -- it will not. I'm not quite sure how to re-establish a connection if my computer dosn't automaticaly see it. I am just learning, and I'm not familure with the terms, and jargon.
    Evelyn

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It will depend on how you do this "clean install". If you use the recovery partition or recovery disc the wireless should be reinstalled like the day you got the computer. It should connect to an unsecured router, otherwise all you should have to do is insert the password to connect to a secured router.

If you are using a Vista disc out of the box for the "clean install" you may need to install the wireless drivers. In either case the router settings should not make any difference.

JB

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Its best to have all the drivers you will need for devices such as the wireless interface. If you are installing from a recovery partition or discs and the wireless was original then those drivers will be included in the install. If this is an install from a retail or OEM disc or the wireless is an addon then chances are you will need the drivers beforehand (burn them to CD), and its critical to have those because its not like one can use that computer to go online and get them until the wireless is working.

Once you have installed or reinstalled the wireless drivers there may still be some configuration needed to get it to work but it should be fairly easy; you may be asked at the time of wireless driver installation and recognition by the computer as to the nature of the network/connection or be able to figure it out after the fact in the Network and sharing center (I don't really run Vista anymore but I think that part is like Windows 7 if I recall correctly) if you don't get connected automatically.

You should not have to mess with the router unless there have been some special rules set up or some features disabled to help halt automatic connections for security reasons. You also will have to establish the connection to work again with any encryption if it is in use.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks JB,

It's the router here in the house, secured. I am doing a reinstall from the OS disk that came with my computer, rebooting from the disk to reformat. My computer is a Gateway T-series with wireless built in. I'm assuming the driver for my computers' wireless is on that disk. Well-- hoping now?!
    Geek Squad did some work for me several months ago and my computer hasn't acted right since, so I'm not going to use their disk this time. I have a lot of changes to make about the way junk goes back onto my computer-- too messy for words. Following Woody's advice about how to work with files, folders and where to put them. (Reading Vista for Dummies) and using a Computer Concepts textbook for structured lessons. But I need to use the computer for the lessons, so, I sort of have to put the cart before the horse, or something like that.

Evelyn

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    You are correct as everything you need for the reinstall should be on the disc. Enter your password and it should connect. Your choice but I would use an ethernet cable for installing the updates and downloading programs. The cable will be much faster than wireless.

You are wise to ditch the Geek Squad. In my opinion their work leaves a lot to be desired. You can usually get the help you need on the various forums or by using Google.

JB

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    Its best to have all the drivers you will need for devices such as the wireless interface. If you are installing from a recovery partition or discs and the wireless was original then those drivers will be included in the install. If this is an install from a retail or OEM disc or the wireless is an addon then chances are you will need the drivers beforehand (burn them to CD), and its critical to have those because its not like one can use that computer to go online and get them until the wireless is working.

Once you have installed or reinstalled the wireless drivers there may still be some configuration needed to get it to work but it should be fairly easy; you may be asked at the time of wireless driver installation and recognition by the computer as to the nature of the network/connection or be able to figure it out after the fact in the Network and sharing center (I don't really run Vista anymore but I think that part is like Windows 7 if I recall correctly) if you don't get connected automatically.

You should not have to mess with the router unless there have been some special rules set up or some features disabled to help halt automatic connections for security reasons. You also will have to establish the connection to work again with any encryption if it is in use.
    Thanks Byron,
    If I run into any trouble with the disk, I have the driver names and version numbers to download from Gateway-- Heres hoping I won't need them.
    Thanks again

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    You are correct as everything you need for the reinstall should be on the disc. Enter your password and it should connect. Your choice but I would use an ethernet cable for installing the updates and downloading programs. The cable will be much faster than wireless.

You are wise to ditch the Geek Squad. In my opinion their work leaves a lot to be desired. You can usually get the help you need on the various forums or by using Google.

JB
    Thanks JB,

I needed that touch of confirmation, both for the disc and on the geek squad. As for the ethernet I'm not sure I can connect directly, I think I have to buy a cable or something, plus I don't know where the socket would be-- our Internet is cable to an old desktop, then to the router. I don't much understand all these cable connections yet. I'm lible to get tangled in something I shouldn't.

Evelyn

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    JB

Can I plug the ethernet cable into the router and if so how do I know which recepticle, I don't see any lables on them and cannot find the schmatic for the sockets -- only one that explains what the lights are for.

Thanks
    Evelyn

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Sure. You should have one port that is slightly separated from the others. This port should have a cable plugged in and going to the modem. There should be four additional ports with the cable going to your desktop plugged into one. Choose one of the remaining three and plug in the cord. Makes no difference which port you use.

JB

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you JB,

Thank you - Thank you! I got to thinking about it and the thought of such a large amount of data streaming through the house might not be so good-- no just kidding. I agree the quicker the better, less chance for issues. I hope this is not a silly question:

Should I plug in to the ethernet before I shut down for the reinstall, or does it matter?

Evelyn

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I would leave it unplugged during installation if you want the wirelees connection to be the default, when its time to guide you through connecting to the network/internet the wired connection may be selected by default or you will have to be sure to specify it is the wireless connection you want.
    Its easier to switch to wired afterward but as far as Internet goes, you probably won't see any boost in speed unless you are using something less than wirelessN AND have a really fast connection to the Internet, or have a poor wireless connection with the router.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Folks,

I've tried twice to reformat the hard drive following Woody's instructions, But the computer refuses to boot from the CD.

Any suggestions?

Evelyn