Thread: Fax software

Lounger
    Thanks
    Can anyone point me to an app that can send an incoming call to my fax card or to my telephone, using the distinctive ring sent by the phone company? I have one phone line, but two numbers. They ring differently. I would like use one number as my phone number and the other as my fax number. I have seen hardware devices that can answer and direct the call to a phone or a fax machine/card. I am wondering if a software solution exists.

Thanks

Grant

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    I suspect not because Windows has fax software built-in and it's up to the hardware to provide additional features.
    There do seem to be some hardware switches on ebay.

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Do you receive the faxes on your PC? If so, in Sound Setup you will find there are distinctive/different sounds for incoming mail and incoming faxes. In addition, you can allocate a sound file (*.wav) of your choice instead of the default sounds. Perhaps this will help? (In Windows 7, get there via Control Panel > sound > sounds).
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    XP does not have such niceties!

cheers, Paul

Thanks
    Sorry! The post did not indicate which version of Windows was being used. I assumed Windows 7. (Clearly a wrong assumption, since the post is not in the Windows 7 forum of the Lounge!)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Peter S: You're not wrong. I am running Windows 7. I didn't post this in that forum because I am looking for an app. The problem is not Windows 7 related. I would have the same issue (and do) on an XP machine.

Also, my question does not involve incoming mail and incoming faxes. It involves a voice call and a fax call coming in on the same phone line. The phone company assigns a distinctive ring to each kind of call. I am looking for an app that, using that distinctive ring, can direct the call to either my phone and my fax software. There are hardware devices available to do what I want. I was hoping that there was a software solution. This has nothing to do with the sounds the Windows can assign to incoming mail and incoming faxes.

Thanks
    @Grant: Thanks for the clarification.. I am sorry, I have nothing else to offer. (I am sure someone else here in the Lounge will, be able to help--there's plenty of expertise represented here). Good luck!