New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am upgrading from Windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit. Before I take the plunge I'm backing up all my data to an external drive with Windows built in backup and restore. Will the 64 bit version read the data to reinstall it?

Thanks
    Hi Miles,

Yes, your new 64 bit installation will be able to read your user files just fine.

When you boot the Windows 7 DVD and do a custom install, your 32 bit Windows 7 will all be placed in a folder named Windows.Old. When your new 64 bit installation is completed, you can go into the Windows.Old folder and copy out all your data files you want to your new Win7 64 bit installation. When you are sure you have everything you want from Windows.Old, you can delete it to free up hard disk space.

You mentioned you used Windows Backup to backup your data files. Be sure you don't select to do an image backup of your whole system. If you do, when you do the Restore function, your image backup of the 32 bit Windows 7 install will totally replace your new 64 bit installation.

Although you are backing up your data files with Windows Backup, I would also simply copy all the data folders and files from your internal hard disk to your external drive as a second level of protection, just in case your Windows Backup of data files becomes corrupted.

Backing up all your user files is a very good move. You never know what might happen.

When you finish your new Win7 64 bit install, and copy your data files to it, I would do a full system image backup so you can quickly restore your system should anything ever happen that requires a new Windows install.

You might browse the Security & Backups Forum for more information on maintaining system image backups. There are tutorials and more to look over.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Gerald, Another question? When I upgrade the OS to 64 bit, my current drive 200gb original drive from computer 5+ years old is the C drive. I also have a 5 month old 500GB drive partitioned as D & E and am currently copying all the data to a 1TB usb drive I have. Because of speed and stability issues I am making the newer larger drive the main boot drive (flipping the sata plugs on the motherboard I assume) So I don't think I'll have a windows.old file as this will be a quasi clean install, is this thinking correct? BTW, I run an image every month to the 1TB drive, I know I'll need to get rid of the old image and replace with a new one and I run backups every other day, learned my lesson years ago.

Myles

Thanks
    Myles,

My first question is do you have a Windows 7 Upgrade DVD or a full retail DVD? If you have an Upgrade DVD, you can still install Win7 64 bit to the drive of your choosing. Just read Paul Thurrott's Windows Supersite article "Clean Install Windows 7 with Upgrade Media".

Whether you have an Upgrade DVD or full retail, if you want to install on your 500GB HD, I would move all data from the disk, and remove your current Drive C:\ physically from the machine. If you install to the 500GB disk, Windows.old will not be created, so be sure you make a couple of copies of your data files. After you install Win7 64 on your 500GB HD, you can restore your applications and data files. It would be good to then create a Windows 7 Repair disk. If you have a Windows 7 32 bit Repair Disk, it will not work in Windows 7 64 bit edition. You can then reconnect your former HD and format it to remove Win7 32. It could serve as a second data drive or shelved for future use.

You might consider repartitioning your 500GB drive after you move all user files to another disk. A first partition of maybe 70 - 80GB to serve as you Windows system partition, and a second partition for storing the bulk of your data. Just a thought. That would keep your system image backups to a more manageable size.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    I would also recommend an OS partition of around 75 GB. On my 75 GB partition with Win 7 Ultimate and all my apps I still have almost 50 GB free. This is plenty for the OS and reserves the remainder of the HD for your data storage needs. And as Gerald mentions, your periodic images of your C Drive can be smaller and quicker.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    So basically set up a 75gb partition for windows and then what? redirect my docs etc.. to another partition? I beleive the disk I have is upgrade?? I originally had a student download edition 32 bit but ordered replacement media from MS, they sent me both disks but they don't say upgrade on them, so maybe full versions.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Myles Bauer View Post
    So basically set up a 75gb partition for windows and then what? redirect my docs etc.. to another partition? I beleive the disk I have is upgrade?? I originally had a student download edition 32 bit but ordered replacement media from MS, they sent me both disks but they don't say upgrade on them, so maybe full versions.
    This link discusses moving a user data to a separate partition in considerable detail. There have been other threads as well. This is a very easy operation. The link Gerald supplied will show you how to clean install Win 7 64 Bit.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy