Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hey Folks,

I've tried twice to reformat the hard drive following Woody's instructions, (Windows Vista for Dummies). But the computer refuses to boot from the CD. It took me some time to get to this point, now that I'm ready my computer doesn't want to co-operate.

I'm trying to reinstall the Vista OS on my Gateway T-series laptop computer.

Any suggestions?

Previous Thread--This thread's tiny URL: http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/ind...owtopic=778505

Evelyn

Thanks
    What have you tried so far the get the Windows Vista DVD to boot?

Have you gone into your computer's BIOS to change the boot setting to alow for booting to your CD/DVD drive?
    (Usually pressing the "F2" or "del" key upon boot gets you into the main BIOS screen, it may vary by make and model).
    Pressing the right key upon boot can also bring up the boot menu, usually F10 as an example.
    Clean the CD/DVD with warm soap and water and dry with a soft cloth.

...Your links is broken as of this writing.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello out there...

I got it to work but I think I selected the wrong option. The installation is going to put my files and settings in a folder named "Old Windows" I don't think this will reformat the hard drive.

Also, I was wondering about partitioning does that help? Can I put programs on a seperate partition from the operating system, I don't know where I got this idea from but I thought it was the Vista for Dummies book But I couldn't find the info.

Evelyn

Thanks
    I got it to work but I think I selected the wrong option. The installation is going to put my files and settings in a folder named "Old Windows" I don't think this will reformat the hard drive.
    You can simply take what you need from that folder and then delete it. The setting you chose will clean install your os but preserve some of your "old" files and settings in the above named folder.
    If you find you don't need anything from that folder, delete it in it's entirety.

Also, I was wondering about partitioning does that help? Can I put programs on a seperate partition from the operating system, I don't know where I got this idea from but I thought it was the Vista for Dummies book But I couldn't find the info.
    Partitioning is a good idea. You can store personal data like music and photos and even move your documents and other folders to a partition.
    Installing programs to a partition is a bit more sophisticated and requires a degree of more advanced computer knowledge.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    What have you tried so far the get the Windows Vista DVD to boot?

Have you gone into your computer's BIOS to change the boot setting to alow for booting to your CD/DVD drive?
    (Usually pressing the "F2" or "del" key upon boot gets you into the main BIOS screen, it may vary by make and model).
    Pressing the right key upon boot can also bring up the boot menu, usually F10 as an example.
    Clean the CD/DVD with warm soap and water and dry with a soft cloth.

...Your links is broken as of this writing.
    Thank you, I got it to boot, and Windows installed, but I have a 232 GB Hard drive and only 144 GB available. I cannot find the other 88 GB. I wanted to reformat but I think I selected something wrong. During install I got a message that said my files were in a file called "Old Windows". After installation the check disk utility ran and changed a bunch of things, I couldn't read fast enough to figure out what was going on except -- deleting corrupt files and restoring orphaned files and something to do with "1432"

...How do I fix the link, or will it re-connect?

Evelyn

Thanks
    The post you have linked to may have been moved. To get the link working again, edit the post and replace the URL.
    Fixed it for you.
    C
    DRIVE IMAGING

Windows 8.1, 64 bit

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Chkdsk should not have run, which means something was detected and interpreted as being out of order. I would suggest starting again, look for an advanced option during install and maybe a further options button; something that will lead you to a format option before installation. There are other bootable discs that can also be used to format the drive beforehand as well but you shouldn't be in need of those. Its a good idea to create at least the system partition if partitioning is to be incorporated at that time as well so you get the partition size desired instead of possibly fighting with Vista to let you shrink the volume down to the desired size.

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    The post you have linked to may have been moved. To get the link working again, edit the post and replace the URL.
    Fixed it for you.
    C
    Thank you. Explaining everything all over again would add to my frustration. My nerves are not wired for this yet. Lots of things going wrong.

Evelyn

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    Chkdsk should not have run, which means something was detected and interpreted as being out of order. I would suggest starting again, look for an advanced option during install and maybe a further options button; something that will lead you to a format option before installation. There are other bootable discs that can also be used to format the drive beforehand as well but you shouldn't be in need of those. Its a good idea to create at least the system partition if partitioning is to be incorporated at that time as well so you get the partition size desired instead of possibly fighting with Vista to let you shrink the volume down to the desired size.
    Thank you for replying back.
    My disc dosn't seem to have the driver for the wireless either even though the "wireless light" is on I don't get the option to connect to the internet with a wireless connection and when I try to turn on "Network Discovery" in the Network and Shairing Center it makes me jump through all the hoops but, ultimately, dosn't turn it on. When I just click connect to the internet it only gives me the two "wired" type connections.

I like your idea of starting over, (Windows 7) is looking better and better. If I had the money right now I'd be all over it.

Evelyn

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you All

I think I'm ok now, got Vista loaded, have all my gigabytes, have internet, and working through the book now. I am breathing-- Of course I'm not done...

...far from it!

I just wanted to thank you all, everything you all told was helpful.

Sincerely, Evelyn