New Lounger
    Thanks
    Earlier today, I stepped away from my PC (Gateway FX530) for a few hours. When I came back to it later, I found it had locked up. No mouse movement or the like would help. I ended up holding the power button to shut it off. When I went to power it back on, that is where my trouble continued. Although the PC seemed to power on just fine (HDDs seemed to start up OK as well), I get no video on either of my monitors (one connected via DVI and other HDMI). I've tried swapping out video cards and using a different / working cable to connect to another monitor that was working with no luck. The system powers on and isn't beeping or anything of that nature so I'm not really sure what the problem can be. Can someone offer some further troubleshooting steps or ideas to try out here as I'm not sure what I should try next.

Video card is an ATI Radeon 5770. One monitor is a Gateway LCD connected via DVI and the other is a Dell that I had connected via HDMI.

Thanks
    Clarification:
    The system powers on and isn't beeping or anything of that nature so I'm not really sure what the problem can be.
    Does your system normally sound a beep during start up. Some motherboards will sound a single short beep to signify a normal POST state.
    Are all fans running correctly: Not at continuous full speed?

If your motherboard has a built in GPU, or "on-board" graphics, try removing the video card and booting up from cold off with only one monitor connected.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Clarification:

Does your system normally sound a beep during start up. Some motherboards will sound a single short beep to signify a normal POST state.
    Are all fans running correctly: Not at continuous full speed?

I don't think it does to be honest as I don't recall ever hearing fan. All fans are working fine, including the one on the graphics card.

If your motherboard has a built in GPU, or "on-board" graphics, try removing the video card and booting up from cold off with only one monitor connected.

No built-in GPU. I had an Nvidia card in there but when I rebuilt the system recently to put Win 7 X64 on it, I replaced it with the ATI. It was running for almost a month without any sort of issues. I'm pretty sre I have a spare PCI-based VGA card lying around. My next step was to try that and see if I get video. If I do, that would seem to point towards the 2 PCIe slots on the motherboard dying

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The only other things you might try before mobo replacement is checking and reseating the CPU and remove the CMOS battery and short the contacts as you hold down the power button for 10 seconds or so to replace any possible corrupt BIOS settings with defaults.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by William Smith Jr View Post
    Earlier today, I stepped away from my PC (Gateway FX530) for a few hours. When I came back to it later, I found it had locked up. No mouse movement or the like would help. I ended up holding the power button to shut it off. When I went to power it back on, that is where my trouble continued. Although the PC seemed to power on just fine (HDDs seemed to start up OK as well), I get no video on either of my monitors (one connected via DVI and other HDMI). I've tried swapping out video cards and using a different / working cable to connect to another monitor that was working with no luck. The system powers on and isn't beeping or anything of that nature so I'm not really sure what the problem can be. Can someone offer some further troubleshooting steps or ideas to try out here as I'm not sure what I should try next.

Video card is an ATI Radeon 5770. One monitor is a Gateway LCD connected via DVI and the other is a Dell that I had connected via HDMI.
    i suspect a power supply, do you have a spare? try it

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bong tubera View Post
    i suspect a power supply, do you have a spare? try it
    I'm beginning to wonder if this might be it. A co-worker suggested the possibility as well. Unfortunately, I do not have any spare.

My next steps at this point are

1) Install a standard VGA card to see if I can get video with just that

2) Take the ATI card and see if it functions properly in another system

Presuming a no to #1 and yes to #2, I believe my next step will be to take to a local repair shop for diagnosis since I don't much time to deal with this myself at the moment. I may also try some of the suggestions noted by Byron but see a repair shop in my future. At least as far as I can tell, the HDDs are still intact though should probably confirm that as well

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello Byron.

>>> remove the CMOS battery and short the contacts as you hold down the power button for 10 seconds or so to replace any possible corrupt BIOS settings with defaults.

Do you know if this would result in the same action as going into the BIOS and selecting "Defaults" or Standard Settings, wording is different. To me this last action would be less "invasive" on the part of a newbie.

A great day to you. Jean.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    >>> remove the CMOS battery and short the contacts as you hold down the power button for 10 seconds or so to replace any possible corrupt BIOS settings with defaults.

Do you know if this would result in the same action as going into the BIOS and selecting "Defaults" or Standard Settings, wording is different. To me this last action would be less "invasive" on the part of a newbie.
    It might, but one of the preconditions of this problem is...no video, so probably won't be able to change what is not seen.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    My video issues are now resolved though not quite sure what the issue(s) was/were to begin with. I had a local repair person come out after everything I tried / could think of didn't work. His testing seemed to indicate that I perhaps had a bad GPU card so I went ahead and returned for a new unit. Unfortunately, the problems persisted through various cables, etc. We eventually got video working with a VGA connection but still had issues with DVI. When we eventually tried using the second DVI port, we finally had success and were eventually able to restore the setup I had before something went awry. The Gateway LCD that serves as the primary monitor was having some issues itself where all the buttons were essentially frozen / unusable; however, after we got video restored via DVI, it started working again. I honestly I have no idea what went wrong since I'm now back to where I was. This was an extremely odd problem at best and one that I hope doesn't repeat itself though if I does, I at least have some additional ideas to try out