Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I was just checking to see if there were any registry entries for a scheduled task (that I didn't want) and found that there were tons of registry files pointing to old locations like "Downloads\Temp-Installers for this round". A folder I deleted over a year ago (when I first installed Win7).

As I just mentioned this is a Win7 machine though I'm going to presume that this would be an issue on most, if not all Windows Computers. Also as my title suggest I run CCleaner on a regular basis and I know it's pretty good about deleting old data.

Is this a known issue/is there a program that scans for and deletes these obviously useless entries?

P.S. I also run Advanced System Care from time to time and once tried PCMedik (though I hated it because it didn't show me what it was doing, didn't improve anything, and apparently changed some of my custom settings that may at times slow me down but, usually speed me up like my index which scans Program Files (I'm always messing around with a few programs therin)).
    Current Machine:HP Compaq 6910p with 4GB RAM, Core2Duo @ 2.20 GHz, Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, Avast free, Malwarebyte's free, TP-Link wireless card (as the built in card has nothing but problems with empty solutions): The card identifies as "Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter". [Not the best machine but it does internet, docs, and vids, and some games (PvZ, Spore)]

Thanks
    jv16 PowerTools 2009 is a far more potent registry cleaner, but be very carefull how you use it.
    I would only go after very specific registry entries, if at all, and have an up to date drive image on hand.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    What are some of the registry keys? Ccleaner has a reputation for being fairly conservative in its registry cleaning.

Unless your system is broken, why are you bothering with registry cleaning anyway? See Should I use a registry cleaner & Why I don't use registry cleaners.

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Norris View Post
    I run CCleaner on a regular basis and I know it's pretty good about deleting old data.

Is this a known issue/is there a program that scans for and deletes these obviously useless entries?
    Gregory,
    Hello... You might want to check out this forum (about jv-16 power tools) http://www.macecraft.com/phpBB3/index.php . I use the 2010 version and have had no problems letting "jv" do it's thing, It has settings from mild to very aggressive scanning (your choice) and will remove most of CCleaner leaves behind (depending on setting ) CCleaner even will find some that "JV" doesn't ....so i use both ...usually before a backup image Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    Gregory,
    Hello... You might want to check out this forum (about jv-16 power tools) http://www.macecraft.com/phpBB3/index.php . I use the 2010 version and have had no problems letting "jv" do it's thing, It has settings from mild to very aggressive scanning (your choice) and will remove most of CCleaner leaves behind (depending on setting ) CCleaner even will find some that "JV" doesn't ....so i use both ...usually before a backup image Regards Fred
    It looks good but, I'm not sure about paying for more software(I just bought a lot of new stuff out of necessity and the accounts looking a little thin). Is there a free version (I thought I saw something about a lite version but, no link).
    Current Machine:HP Compaq 6910p with 4GB RAM, Core2Duo @ 2.20 GHz, Mobile Intel 965 Express Chipset Family, Avast free, Malwarebyte's free, TP-Link wireless card (as the built in card has nothing but problems with empty solutions): The card identifies as "Atheros AR922X Wireless Network Adapter". [Not the best machine but it does internet, docs, and vids, and some games (PvZ, Spore)]

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregory Norris View Post
    It looks good but, I'm not sure about paying for more software(I just bought a lot of new stuff out of necessity and the accounts looking a little thin). Is there a free version (I thought I saw something about a lite version but, no link).
    Gregory,
    Hello... I do not know of any "free" jv-16.... did a brief search and did not come up with anything ..other than a free trial. This is one program that i would not be without, as i am always "deleting things" ( mostly what i shouldn't) leaving behind sometimes hundreds of orphaned registry entries. Until you are familiar with the program ....do a backup before you run Jv -16.... Actually you can "backup" registry changes with "JV", and don't actually have to do a complete image. Whatever the price.... its a tool that is a must have in your "bag of tricks" ( if your at all like me )
    Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gregory,
    Hello... I do not know of any "free" jv-16.... did a brief search and did not come up with anything ..other than a free trial. This is one program that i would not be without, as i am always "deleting things" ( mostly what i shouldn't) leaving behind sometimes hundreds of orphaned registry entries. Until you are familiar with the program ....do a backup before you run Jv -16.... Actually you can "backup" registry changes with "JV", and don't actually have to do a complete image. Whatever the price.... its a tool that is a must have in your "bag of tricks" ( if your at all like me )
    Regards Fred
    Thanks for the info, I've bookmarked it so maybe I can buy it at a later time. For now I'll just live without it (I'm thinking of switching to 64 bit anyway so that would automatically remove a lot of junk).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Unless your system is broken, why are you bothering with registry cleaning anyway? See Should I use a registry cleaner & Why I don't use registry cleaners.
    Excellent advice from JoeP. The links provide insight by some reputable people.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Sullivan View Post
    Excellent advice from JoeP. The links provide insight by some reputable people.
    TIm,
    Hello... Yes they are correct ( the sites) in what they are saying for the everyday user but...... Lets say that for the moment that your like me ( ) and decide, as i have at times to remove totally from your OS the following things.....(just for example)
    Windows Explorer, Windows Mail, Windows Defender, Windows "Blah, Blah" on some of my OS's i have ,,,,and you know what ?... There will be "thousands" of no longer usable registry entries..... This bothers me ( some mental deficiency ) so unless you want to remove them each and every one by hand (would take a lifetime) you would need to use a REGISTRY CLEANER ! End of rant, Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Administrator
    Thanks
    Hello... Yes they are correct ( the sites) in what they are saying for the everyday user but...... Lets say that for the moment that your like me and decide, as i have at times to remove totally from your OS the following things.....(just for example)
    Windows Explorer, Windows Mail, Windows Defender, Windows "Blah, Blah" on some of my OS's i have ,,,,and you know what ?... There will be "thousands" of no longer usable registry entries..... This bothers me ( some mental deficiency ) so unless you want to remove them each and every one by hand (would take a lifetime) you would need to use a REGISTRY CLEANER !
    Unless you specifically know that your system is not working correctly the registry cleaning is useless. Even then you would be better off trying to figure out what the problem is and fixing it rather than a general blunt instrument approach of removing everything that may appear to be useless. As explained in one of the articles, many registry settings are "per user". So, your user context may not see everything in the registry that is valid for all users.

Joe
    Joe

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeP View Post
    Unless you specifically know that your system is not working correctly the registry cleaning is useless. Even then you would be better off trying to figure out what the problem is and fixing it rather than a general blunt instrument approach of removing everything that may appear to be useless. As explained in one of the articles, many registry settings are "per user". So, your user context may not see everything in the registry that is valid for all users.

Joe
    Joe,
    Hello,....I never said that i "clean the registry" because something is not working, and completely agree that it won't make any difference in perceivable OS performance. However being the "poster child" for "OCD" (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) when it comes to removing things off of my several OS's. I hate having things not "tidy".... and orphaned registry entries are always in my "sights" especially after having removed something substantial..... like some "Windows Blah Blah .something" . It annoys me to no end knowing that they are there ( sometimes thousands ) So basically... i just like to have my PC "Ship Shape" and as far as what others say or do is of no consequence to me.... but if asked i will always recommend "jv-16 to "get-er-done" (southern lingo) Regards Fred
    PlainFred

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe,
    Hello,....I never said that i "clean the registry" because something is not working, and completely agree that it won't make any difference in perceivable OS performance. However being the "poster child" for "OCD" (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) when it comes to removing things off of my several OS's. I hate having things not "tidy".... and orphaned registry entries are always in my "sights" especially after having removed something substantial..... like some "Windows Blah Blah .something" . It annoys me to no end knowing that they are there ( sometimes thousands ) So basically... i just like to have my PC "Ship Shape" and as far as what others say or do is of no consequence to me.... but if asked i will always recommend "jv-16 to "get-er-done" (southern lingo) Regards Fred
    I can't say there are any problems stemming from registry issues but, I hate having extra items in my registry. For one, though it may not always be perceivable, there is an effect on performance. The more entries Windows has to search through the slower a search will take. This is also true if I'm meddling with the registry (which I do from time to time). In this case I was able to say for certain that a large group of entries were orphaned but, I'm not always sure and I don't want to search through absolute garbage.

Here's another good reason to clean the registry: Both myself and friends have manually removed viruses before when I do I pretty much rely on my registry cleaner to make sure that I didn't miss any entries that might allow it to come back. Another reason yet is something that acts like a virus and that's a simple bug that can occur when an application relies on the registry. If the registry tells a program somethings there and it isn't then it could be problematic. I'm guessing that most programs wouldn't have such issues but, I'm the paranoid type when it comes to performance and will only sacrifice performance for good background function (for instance windows aero which takes a bit from my performance[crappy graphics card] but, makes it so much easier for me to check individual windows).

Mostly though it's really just like you said, I want my computer to be in the best shape-no unneeded files. Which reminds me: I've noticed that some temp files don't get deleted by CCleaner either, the ones I've noticed seem to be in use at all times but, don't come up with any virus scans (meaning they are probably not virus'). A few such files had stopped mbam from working on my system for a while, something about them caused it to crash.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You and Fred are going to believe what you want to believe. But show me empirical proof that you get improved performance by registry cleaning. That may have been possilbe in the Windows 9x day but now you can't because there isn't any. Don't you think that if one of the many registry cleaner vendors had reproducable proof positive that it would be trumpeted from the highest mountain?

I've said before there may be a use for a registry cleaner if you know your system is compromised. Even then cleanup should be restricted to those keys directly involved with the issue at hand.

If you read about the registry, how it constructed and how it is processed in normal usage you'd know that cleaning will not improve performance. In fact, the more general the cleaning the more likely you are going to remove a key that you need. The reward is not worth the risk.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    It seems a re-read of my thread "Is all of this really necessary?" may be in order!!!

Find it here
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Thanks
    I won't mention any names, but there are forums where you are virtually forbidden to discuss registry cleaning.
    It's a forbidden subject. And maybe it should be, because the greatest number of programs that can destroy your OS are so-called registry cleaners.

Some years ago, a young prodigy in Finland, named Toni Helenius, wrote a program called "Easy Cleaner".
    Since I first found Easy Cleaner, many years ago now, I've used it to remove junk files and clean the registry on my own PC and on literally hundreds of my customer's PC's. If the program is going to err, then it errs on the side of caution, maybe leaving some registry entry that could possibly be removed.
    But never in all these years and the hundreds of times I've used the program, has it ever caused the first problem on any PC.

Adversely, I've downloaded and installed CCleaner twice over a period of several years and in both cases it's trashed my PC and I've had to do a full drive restore to get working again. So it's earned a prominent spot on my own "Never, Ever, Again" list.

For the uninitiated, I'll go along with the poster who said, (I paraphrase) " if you're not having any problems, why mess with your registry? ".
    It's a real good place for a novice to royally screw up his/her PC.

To find out more about Toni, just Google his name, "Toni Helenius".

Cheers Mates and Happy Computing!
    The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast