4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I am trying to help a friend with her laptop. It is a Dell Latitude D620. It was given to them by their daughter, her company was upgrading their computers, and they can't afford to buy another one. They have been using it for about a year.

Now when they start it up, they get 2 errors, I don't think the first one is that critical, but here it is, just in case:

SQL Writer
    SQL Dumper Library failed initialization. Your installation is either corrupt or has been tampered with. Please uninstall them or re-run setup to correct the problem.
    OK

Then when I get past that one, by pressing Enter, I get this one:
    Explorer.exe - Bad Image
    The application or dll C:\Windows\system32\urlmon.dll is not a valid Windows image. Please check this against your installation diskette.
    OK

They don't have an installation diskette. When I press Enter, then I can get into one of their accounts by clicking on their sign on. This brings up the desktop but it is blank, no icons, no Start button, no task bar. I tried right clicking on the desktop and nothing happens. I can pull up Task Manager by doing a CTRL-ALT-DEL but can't do anything else. I did try clicking on New Task in Task Manager and typing in "explorer.exe" and I just get a series of error messages that are derivatives of the above bad image message.

Anyone have an suggestions? Thanks.

Thanks
    Purchase a XP genuine os disk before it's too late, or...
    Put SIW on a USB thumb drive and extract the operating system's product key. In SIW, the product key should be located
    under Software>>Licenses. Then borrow a friends genuine XP disk and procede with a repair or clean install, a clean install would be preferable.
    Then make several full drive image copies to DVD disk, one with just the basic os, updates, and driver support. The final image being of a fully installed
    operating system with all drivers and installed preference programs. The use of someone elses' genuine XP os disk is legal and legit as long as you use your own
    product key.

Dell Latitude D620 XP based drivers

Another thing to try before the above, would be to make and run a disk that will do a thorough antivirus and antimalware scan of you entire system.
    Portable Malwarebytes Anti-Malware & SUPERAntiSpyware HowTo
    Malwarebytes Anti-Malware
    portable "antivirus"+usb stick
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks Clint, that's kind of what I was afraid of. I let them know, they have another friend that has an XP system, they will try and see if they can install a fresh version.

Thanks
    Yeah, it looks pretty much like a hosed system.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by donebb View Post
    Thanks Clint, that's kind of what I was afraid of. I let them know, they have another friend that has an XP system, they will try and see if they can install a fresh version.
    Just be sure to tell them to use a legitimate key that will allow a valid install that can be validated by MS. Otherwise in short order they will be in this position again.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    donebb, please excuse my mini hijacking of your post.
    I attempted to do a clean install using an upgrade disc, Vista Home Prem. when done I tried using the key on Laptop's C.O.A. sticker to activate so I could 'decrapify' Packard Bell's os of Vista Home Prem. It never worked
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!