New Lounger
    Thanks
    One of my daughyers computers has trouble seeing the internet. I can call up a command window and ping various sites with not problems. But none of the browsers can access the internet. They throw up a messages saying you are not connected to the internet.

Every time the computer is restarted I get a warning message that

xhrserylanw.exe

doesn't have a valid publishers certificate (or maybe anunknown publisher's certificate.

I have the option to run or not to run it. I don't.

Program is on the computer and I can find it by seardhing.

But a Google search doesn't find anything.

Any suggestions or help appreciated.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tejasjohn View Post
    Every time the computer is restarted I get a warning message that

xhrserylanw.exe

Program is on the computer and I can find it by seardhing.
    A few thoughts ....
    1. Does xhrserylanw.exe show up as a running process in Task Manager?

2. Where do you find it by searching? What path?

3. Is browser looking for a Proxy server? Take a look at Internet Explorer>Tools>Internet Options>Connections>LAN Settings>Proxy Server?

4. Have you run your AV program?

Thanks
    Some hopefully, easy tutorials on how to put antimalware software on a USB stick:
    Portable Malwarebytes Anti-Malware & SUPERAntiSpyware HowTo
    Portable Antivirus Firewall | Portable USB Pen Drive Applications

It looks to me like you need to run a thorough AV & AM scan on that system and I would not trust what you have on there right now.
    It would also be a good idea to backup as much personal data as you can in case things go south.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Thanks
    Generally these type problems are caused by malware or virus protecting themselves. A Google and Bing search reveal nothing for this .exe Clints portable apps may help. If you can eventually get online check out some of the online scanners:

McAfee Online Scanner

Eset Online Scanner

Norton Online Security Check

I hope some of these suggestions help. Once cleaned discuss the situation with your daughter to elliminate the future need of another cleanup. After the system is cleaned (and you are sure of this), create an image to allow easily getting back to a known good system. Check out the Security and Backups forum for info on images.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have determined that something had changed IE to use a proxy server, but apparantly did not set up the server itself. When I unchecked that IE and Windows Mail could connect. The program was in the admin account in its own folder in the application programs folder. I moved the folder to the desk top. As I explained before, Win Vista had blocked its opening and given a message that the certificate was unknown. Now when I restart the computer the message does not appear and IE connects to the internet. My daughter has submitted the program to Symantic.

What have I learned? I would have done better (i.e. taken less time) to blow away the installation and reinstall Vista, or to upgrade to Win 7. Particulary sinceI was a very simple installtion, with northing to move except email, a few pictures and documents and the favorites.

So far what I done doesn't prove that I have solved the problem. But if it comes back I will just reinstall.

It's very surprising that as of yesterday nothing could be found by Google. How did we get so lucky as to be an early acquirer?

Many thanks to every one for all the advice and suggestions.

Regards, Tejasjohn

Thanks
    It's very surprising that as of yesterday nothing could be found by Google. How did we get so lucky as to be an early acquirer?
    We don't actually know that it is, but I would be very suspicious; Perhaps an unprotected network or wifi setup???
    For many instances, a clean install would just be simpler.
    Good luck on it.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It could be signs of "AntivirusIS"

Check out this .....

Norton Internet Security / Norton AntiVirus

the structure is \Application Data\[random]\[random]lanw.exe
    In your case the random part is xhrsery.