Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi everyone. We are about to transition from Word 2003 to Word 2007 and I am compiling a Global add-in template for our company's use. I found the "New Document or Template" command to put on the Quick Access Toolbar but this shows me both the "Installed Templates" and "My Templates" from the Office button. I only want this to display "My Templates". I am aware that there is a registry key that can be changed to only show "My Templates" but am loathe to tinker with this. I just wondered if any of you good people knew if the command was called something else - I've scrolled through the ALL COMMANDS in vain! Any help appreciated even if just to confirm that I'm stuck with the additional tabs.

Many thanks

Laura

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    How about adding a macro to the QAT with the following code?
    Dialogs(wdDialogFileNew).Show
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Andrew, thanks for that but unfortunately that shows me the INSTALLED TEMPLATES folders namely FAXES, LETTERS, OTHER DOCUMENTS, REPORTS, RESUMES and BACKUPS in the same way as the NEW DOCUMENT OR TEMPLATE command. What I'm trying to see is the box I get when I click the OFFICE BUTTON, NEW, MY TEMPLATES. The New box that displays following those clicks does not show me those above folders. Thanks for your efforts anyway

Laura

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Do you want that useful traditional File New dialog bereft of all the Microsoft garbage? To add the File New dialog to your QAT and remove the rubbish template clutter, see Registry Tweaks for Word 2007

[attachment=90200:NEW.jpg]
    Attached Images Attached Images

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Terry, thanks so much for your post. It would appear that the registry tweak is the only way to go so I may just have to bit the bullet and go for it. Thanks very much again

Kind regards

Laura

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Laura

I think you can also remove the built-in templates without editing the registry directly if you have an aversion to regedit.

This can be done by following the the uninstall process for Office and changing your settings as described in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/libr...ffice.10).aspx
    In a somewhat confusing design decision, various tabs appear that are NOT folders at this location. And in them appear templates that are not physically located in the folder. These are the "built-in" templates. A built-in template may not exist as a file. Word contains some templates that are hard-coded into the program; they exist as physical files only if you make a change to them.

To remove built-in templates, you must use the Control Panel. Specifically, click Start, (Windows 2000, point to Settings), and then double-click the Control Panel. Double-click Add/Remove Programs, scroll to Microsoft Office and then click Change. Clear the folders of templates that you do not wish to see, and then click Update.
    Andrew Lockton, Chrysalis Design, Melbourne Australia

Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Andrew, thanks very much for that, I'll give it a go.

Kind regards

Laura