Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disk space

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Whenever I now go to instal a new program ( in C:\Program Files) I get a screen message indicating that there is insufficient disk space. H owever I know by reference to the individual drives properties that there is plenty of spare space, in particular there being on the C drive over 20GB.
    Whether it is coincidence or not these screen messages seem to have co-incided with my deletion of an old Windows folder in the C drive which paradoxically should have created additional space on this drive.
    Any suggestions for remedying this short of re-installing Windows 7?

Thanks
    Hi Geoff,

Is the old Windows folder you deleted from your C: drive the Windows.old created by a custom install of Windows 7 on a former XP or Vista OS? If so, that should have freed up quite a few gigabytes on your drive.

How many GB is the total capacity of the volume that reports 20GB of free space?

Does Windows manage your paging file? If not, set Windows to manage the size of your paging file. See if you still get the error message. If you currently use a custom min and max paging file size, then you might have run out of paging room.

You could also tap the F8 key repeatedly when you start your computer, which will bring up the Advanced Boot Options screen. Select Repair your Computer. This will start the Windows Recovery Environment. Follow the prompts until you get to the System Recovery Options screen, and select Command Prompt. When at the Command Prompt type in chkdsk /f and be sure to include the spaces in the command. This will check your HD for file errors and fix the ones it can.

If still not correcting the problem, try using System Restore to restore you computer to a date prior to the error message appearing. The way to get to SR is Control Panel> System> System Protection> System Restore.

If System Restore does not help, then go back to System Restore and check under Configure> Disk Space Usage the drive space SR has allocated for use. If it is excessive, move the slider to reduce the total space allowed for SR. If it is currently set at 8 - 10GB, that should be okay, unless the size of your volume is less than 64GB; in that case 3% of drive capacity should be sufficient.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Run TreeSize Free to show the amount of space each folder is using. This can be a revelation!
    BATcher

Dear Diary, today the Hundred Years War started ...

Thanks
    Geoff, try clearing your old system restore points.

[attachment=90171:s.JPG]

You should also use Chkdsk feature.
    George's PC Specs. / Laptop. Desktop.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gerald,

Before responding to the points you raise let me say, (which I should have made clear in my original post) that I

can save a rogram file to Downloads folder and it is ONLY when I attempt to run the file that the screen message

concerning lack of disk space appears. To me this is inexplicable that having saved the file to disk (and thereby

taken up disk space) why will it not then run !
    1 I'm not sure how the old Windows folder came about as currently on a dual boot basis I can access both Windows XP
    and Windows 7. I Was contemplating ditching Windows XP just before the current Windows 7 problems surfaced but now not
    so sure.
    2 There is in fact 37GB used space reported on the C drive having a capacity of 60GB.
    3 Not clear about your reference to paging file. Please elaborate as the reference is new to me
    4 Chk/Dsk /f has been run
    5 System Restore is not working, nor the option to repair Windows under the F8 options available on booting up. Neither
    can I see the option to Configure > disk space which you quote

Have endeavoured to answer the points you refer to but due to my lack of knowledge there are some gaps in this
    reply.

New Lounger
    Thanks
    It looks as if the problem I am experiencing is even more fundemental than I thought. Having spend some hours
    trying to resolve (no backups worked) I decided to run the Windows setup file from the original disk.
    After loading some temporary files a scrreen error message appeared stating rathly baldly with no suggestion as
    to hoe to rectify - "Windows setup experienced an unexpected errror. To instal Windows re-start the installation. Error
    code 0x0." -
    Having repeated this 3 times each resulted in the same error message. All I can think to do now is to format my C drive
    and then try re-installing Windows again, unless anyone has any other suggestion,,

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Cooper View Post
    Before responding to the points you raise let me say, (which I should have made clear in my original post) that I
    can save a rogram file to Downloads folder and it is ONLY when I attempt to run the file that the screen message
    concerning lack of disk space appears. To me this is inexplicable that having saved the file to disk (and thereby
    taken up disk space) why will it not then run !

1 I'm not sure how the old Windows folder came about as currently on a dual boot basis I can access both Windows XP
    and Windows 7. I Was contemplating ditching Windows XP just before the current Windows 7 problems surfaced but now not
    so sure.
    2 There is in fact 37GB used space reported on the C drive having a capacity of 60GB.
    3 Not clear about your reference to paging file. Please elaborate as the reference is new to me
    4 Chk/Dsk /f has been run
    5 System Restore is not working, nor the option to repair Windows under the F8 options available on booting up. Neither
    can I see the option to Configure > disk space which you quote
    In regards to Point 1. Since you are dual booting XP and Windows 7, every time you boot into XP, it will delete all Windows 7 restore points. It does so because XP cannot recognize the Vista and Win7 restore points format, treats them as corrupt, and therefore deletes them. So SR under Wiindows 7 will lose all restore points when you boot into XP, effectively killing SR in Win7.

Point 2. Windows 7 needs 15% free HD space available for system chores, etc. and you appear to have that, so that should be no problem.

NOTE: In order for the following directions to make sense, when you go to Control Panel set your Control Panel "View by" settings to Large or Small icons.

Point 3. The Paging file, sometimes called swap file, is an area on your hard disk set aside for Windows to temporarily move code out of RAM to the hard drive to free up RAM for other tasks. The paging file is therefore a form of virtual memory, however it is very slow compared to RAM. If the paging file becomes corrupted, you could get an insufficient disk space error message because your RAM has nowhere to temporarily swap out its contents so it can perform additional tasks. You can find the paging file setup via Control Panel >System>Advanced>Performance section>Settings button>then Advanced tab under Performance Options and then the Change button under Virtual Memory. Whether you find Automatically manage paging file size for all drives checked, or a custom size range for the paging file, select No paging file and click the Set button. Click OK and reboot your computer. This removes the paging file completely. If it was corrupt, it is gone now, and you can go back and place a check in the box beside Automatically manage paging file for all drives. OK and reboot, and you will have a fresh paging file on your HD. Windows is designed to see and use a paging file, so be sure to set it back up as described.

Point 4 & 5. You ran chkdsk /f? Did you run it from within Windows 7? What report did you get on your screen? I don't believe Advanced Boot Options will offer a choice to Repair you computer, so do the following to run chkdsk: click Start>Accessories>right click on Command Prompt to select Run as administrator. Approve the action, and type into the Command Prompt screen chkdsk /f (exactly as written, with a space between the "k" and the "/") and press Enter. You will see a response indicating the drive is locked and asking if you want to schedule chkdsk to run at the next computer startup. Answer with 'Y' and press Enter. Reboot your computer an allow chkdsk to run, noting any feedback it provides.

Go to System Restore via Control Panel > System> System Protection> System Restore> click on the Configure button, look under Disk Space Usage to see the slider bar. Adjust the slider to increase or decrease the disk space SR will use. Be sure it is set for Drive C: at no more than 3% of your total HD space, which in your case is about 2GB, maybe 3GB. More than that would be a waste of space. You can also delete any restore points toward the bottom of this page as Roderunner suggested.

As Batcher suggested, TreeSize Free can be a valuable tool to see what is using your HD space.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Cooper View Post
    It looks as if the problem I am experiencing is even more fundemental than I thought. Having spend some hours
    trying to resolve (no backups worked) I decided to run the Windows setup file from the original disk.
    After loading some temporary files a scrreen error message appeared stating rathly baldly with no suggestion as
    to hoe to rectify - "Windows setup experienced an unexpected errror. To instal Windows re-start the installation. Error
    code 0x0." -
    Having repeated this 3 times each resulted in the same error message. All I can think to do now is to format my C drive
    and then try re-installing Windows again, unless anyone has any other suggestion,,
    Geoff, I would attempt to run chkdsk as described in my last post before attempting to format your HD. There are potentially some hard disk problems.
    Deadeye81

Thanks
    Geoff, was your computer originally an XP machine which you then installed Windows 7 in a dual boot configuration? If it was originally an XP machine, have you checked the motherboard manufacturer to confirm your board is fully Windows 7 compatible? A BIOS update from the motherboard manufacturers support site may be needed.

Also, is your Windows 7 a 32 or 64 bit edition. Depending on which it is, you need the appropriate Windows 7 drivers for all your hardware to be sure all is working correctly.
    Deadeye81

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gerald,
    Thank you for your very helpful reply. Please regard this as a holding reply pending endeavouring to implement your
    suggestions.
    First I had not appreciated that dual booting to Windows XP effectively "knocks out " Windows 7 restore points,
    Secondly Windows 7 was installed on a dual booting basis last October and until recently both operating systems have
    worked in harmony. The computer is just 4 years old but prior to installing Windows 7 the Microsoft compatibility test
    confirmed that all would be well. Initially I set up on a dual boot basis the intention being to retain Windows XP
    until I was fully familiar with Windows 7 and had confidence in it. More recently I had come to regard the Windows XP
    installation as a "fall back " backup if Windows 7 faied as is now the case

Thanks
    Geoff,

I do not believe this is so much a matter of Win 7 having failed as a matter of a relatively small HD (60 GB) With too much reserved for page file and restore points, etc. The fact that you still have XP installed as well just takes up more space. As Gerald mentions, windows does have overhead requirements which are barely being met at this point. If you have become familiar with Win 7 sufficiently (It has been many months) perhaps taking the plunge and purging XP, and reclaiming the space it occupies along with the changes suggested by Gerald with the page file and restore space would allow Win 7 to fly the way it is designed to do.

Win 7 is by far the best offering from MS, but it needs space to work effectively the way it was designed to do. You have to have confidence in your OS. If you are not confident with Win 7 then go back to XP, but if you wish to really adopt Win 7, then with your resources available on your PC you must make the choice.

You may want to visit a couple of sites with many tips on how to make Win 7 work the way you want it and which may show you how to better utilize your OS. The following are just a couple of such sites:

How To Geek

Windows Seven Forums

Paul Thurrott's Windows Supersite

Take a long look!
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Gerald,.

I have endeavoured to apply your suggestions but I regret to say with little success. First regarding chkdsk /f
    (when run as an administrator) when applied the screen read " the volume is locked" and I was given he optio8 to run on
    the next system re-start - which although selected it did'nt ! Following this at another re-start I selected one of the
    F8 options available viz Cmd Prmpt in safe mode. This resulted in the follo wing screen "Cannot lock the current drive
    - chkdsk cannot run - the volume is used by another process" and once again gotthe "run on the next system re-start"
    nmessage
    Concerning the space for System Restore I configured this on the slider to 3% being 2.07Gb. However on
    selecting the Apply button this resulted in "Apply could not configure the disk space used for System Protection for
    the following reason - the specified objective was not found (0x80042308)The one area of success concerned
    the paging file which having disabled the automatic facility, deleted the existing file and re- started the system
    was re- set to 3455MB following which the automatic facilityre-enabled.
    All in all little albeit with some reluctance, recognizing what woud be entailed is that the best course of
    action would be to freshly instal Windows 7 having dropped the dual booting facility. However I believe that this
    entails some complication with the boot.ini file although here I am in unfamiliar territory. Have you any suggestions?

regarding this, in prticular I think it imperative that somehow or other the chkdsk /f facily is run and gives the

hard drive a clean bill of health before embarking on this course of action.
    Onc

Thanks
    @Geoff: I won't get involved in the useful advice you have been given so far. Please continue to pursue as you wish. If, however, you opt to do a fresh/clean install of Windows 7 but are still not happy to be entirely without Windows XP, you might consider setting up "Windows XP Mode" once you have installed Windows 7. This will give you the option of running Windows XP in a "virtual Machine/PC" under Windows 7 whenever you feel the need. That way, you won't have Windows 7 AND Windows XP each reserving page file and other disk space concurrently, all the time (as is presently the case on your relatively small hard disk). Good luck!
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 760 2GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2014, etc). (UEFI-booted). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive)

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gerald & Ted,
    I am sorry I "fluffed" the concluding comments in my last post but having just read Ted's post I was

endeavouring, witout success, to add an after-thought. Ted's comments serve to re-inforce the tentative conclusion I had

reached regarding a fresh instal of Windows 7 and dropping Windows XP. Oddly enough right at the outset of the current

problem re insufficient disk space I was trying to istall srome partition sizing software in order to increase the size

of Drive C This was when I first encountered the sceen message of "insufficient disk space." I'm stil puzzled how

there was suffient space to save the setup file but not enough to run it !

Thanks
    Geoff,

As far as you computer passing the Windows 7 Compatibility test, mine did as well. However, Intel manufactured my motherboard and declared it to be incompatible with Windows 7, and they would not support it to do so. I decided to give it a shot anyway, and had some issues, but most of them cleared up after downloading and installing Intel's latest chipset device driver set for the board, which was tagged as Windows 7 compatible. The point is that the Compatibility test will not detect every detail, and looks for software and hardware device compatibilities, but can overlook some things, as it did my motherboard.

If you have not checked your motherboard manufacturer to be sure the board is Windows 7 compatible, then I recommend you do so as earlier suggested. If it is not, then you may very well have more problems with Windows 7 on that particular machine even if you remove dual booting and do a fresh install of Windows 7. You will probably need a BIOS firmware update and the latest version of the chipset device drivers if your board is Windows 7 compatible.

If you want to give chkdsk another try, boot your computer via your Windows 7 installation DVD and start the Windows Recovery Environment to run chkdsk. It should absolutely run if done in this manner. Follow this Bleepingcomputer tutorial to start the Command Prompt from the Windows Recovery Environment.

If there is no success after chkdsk, then as Ted and Peter suggested, it may be time to drop the dual boot and do a fresh install of Windows 7 if your motherboard is found compatible. You can go to Disk Management from within XP, and delete your Windows 7 partition, then boot to the Win7 DVD and do a custom install to your XP C: drive, and the new Windows 7 installation will take care of your boot files and MBR for you automatically. All of your XP installation will be moved to a folder named Windows.old, from which you can copy any of your user files to Windows 7 and then delete Windows.old to recover hard disk space. You can reformat your former Windows 7 partition to use for user data storage.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast