New Lounger
    Thanks
    Why am I receiving " optional" automatic updates from ms, when all I selected was" important" and "reccommended" win 7 pro x64

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Bill, and welcome to the Lounge!

You will be notified of optional updates when there are any available, but they will never be automatically downloaded and installed. You have to approve them for download and installation when they are offered. If you are offered optional updates that you never want to see again, then right click each one and select "hide update" and you will not be notified of them anymore.

The same procedure can be done for any update you do not want to see again. But if you have set your updating to automatic, the important and recommended will be installed before you get to see them.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Thanks
    Do you have this checked....
    Attached Images Attached Images
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Thanks
    Bill, I would also like to welcome you to the Lounge. Fresh perspectives are always welcome.

Be glad you are receiving offers for optional updates. Many, if not most of these updates are very helpful and you would loose the benefit of these often very useful updates if you never knew of them. You still have the choice of installing any or all updates, including the severe or priority updates.

Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Gerald, Clint and Ted, thanks for the welcome and replies. I didn't describe my situation very well. On the update settings page, I had selected "automatic" for important and reccommended updates, "optional" updates are not even shown on this screen in win pro 7. I'm not offered optional updates, there being downloaded automatically. I do however have "Allow all users to install updates on this computer" checked, maybe that's my problem. Anyway it's not that big of a deal, I can just delete what I don't want, I was just curious as to the why. Thanks again.....seeya....Bill