3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    In Word 2003 is there a way to create a bibliography from endnotes? We need to have footnotes in the document, but need the bibliography also. We thought that we could create both footnotes and endnotes in the same document, but don't know how to do that. Our quick & dirty idea was to convert the footnotes to endnotes, copy the endnotes to a separate document to edit out the IBID, etc. Will we be able to do that?

I've heard that Word 2007/2010 uses a new feature called Citations, which is used to create the bibliography. Does this 2007/2010 feature use the information from the footnote/endnote or is it entered separately?

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks
    Hi bjg1,

Yes, you can have footnotes and endnotes in the same document, but endnotes really aren't designed for the kind of use you envisage. For starters, they need an anchor point in the body of the document, just like footnotes have. Plus, if you insert them out of alpha order (the usual way for ordering a bibliography), you'll have to re-sort them manually (since endnotes are not designed to be sorted).

To insert an endnote in a document with or without footnotes, simply go to Insert|Footnote and click on the endnote button before continuing with any of the options or clicking OK.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Thanks
    The following link will explain the Word 2007 process:

Create a Bibliography: Word 2007

It seems to me you would have to cut and paste your footnote/endnote data into the citation space created (from which the bibliography would be generated)

(Edited to correct typo)
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the information. A bibliography is not part of our normal procedures. This is a special request by a client.

It does seem simple to use the new feature in Word 2007, if we had Office 2007. I think we will have to fake out this bibliography. We will leave the footnotes in the original document, generate endnotes, copy the endnotes to another document, close the original doc without saving, open the original, adjust the endnotes (separate doc) to get into the format needed for the bibliography, and put this back into the original doc. Not exactly easy, but I think this is the only choice at this time.

Next year when we change Office packages this will be easy. Thanks again!