Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello all,
    Well it's been a few weeks now since installing Norton Internet Security 2011... so i would like to pass on my views, and findings after beating to death "free" vs "pay for".
    1. 2011 is completely customizable ... under "settings" there are all manor of individual adjustments you can configure.
    2. From the main screen you can switch off any part of the program for installation of new software.. 15 minutes, to re-boot, or even permanently.
    3. A new feature (for me) is "boot time scanning" ...seems like a good idea.
    4. You are able to "burn" a "boot-able recovery disk" ..in case some "bad guy" sneaks past your security, so you can't boot normally. You then run the the CD and Norton will (hopefully ) remove the problem.... The down side of this is that you have to keep the disk current for new definitions... But only takes a few minutes to burn a new one with included software.
    5. Automatic definition updates (every hour) and something they call "Pulse Updates" whenever a new definition is made available (every few minutes or seconds in-between normal updates)
    6. For a one stop security suite this is a good one...
    7. Since installing i only use 2011 and Malwarebytes for all my OS's ... previously i used Norton 360\ (pay for) Malwarebytes combo, With no "MS" stuff Now that I'm completely done with The "MS security patch merry- go -round" I'm Free at last,,, Free at last .... Free at last ... and for only about 52 $ Federal Reserve Debt Instruments $ per year ( based on 2 year fee upgrade)...
    Well that's about all Ive to say.... so... bring on all your "free cheese ball AV program rants " I'm ready. Regards Fred

PS: Question .... If ya-all trust your "free" security AV products, etc.... why do most of you still use MS stuff ?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    PS: Question .... If ya-all trust your "free" security AV products, etc.... why do most of you still use MS stuff ?
    Because it is light weight, easy on overall system resources, non intrusive, and clean & simple in it's interface.
    It's the way an AV/AM product should be. MS finally got something right, and it's MSE. If MS hadn't come out with MSE, I'd probably
    be using AVG...or nothing at all except free online scanners.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Clint Rossmere View Post
    Because it is light weight, easy on overall system resources, non intrusive, and clean & simple in it's interface.
    It's the way an AV/AM product should be. MS finally got something right, and it's MSE. If MS hadn't come out with MSE, I'd probably
    be using AVG...or nothing at all except free online scanners.
    Clint ,
    Hello.... I'm not talking about those who choose to use "MSE" and other "MS" Blah Blah. I'm referring to those (legion) who choose to run MSE and "MS Blah Blah" along with some (dubious ) free Av Program (if MSE is so wonderful why use some free AV along with it ?) .... And the converse ... those who use some "cheese ball" free AV and keep MSE ? As far as " non intrusive" and "clean and simple" .... NO !...... i want my security to be aggressive and complex... not some "whinny the pooh " Free-be that has cute graphics ! My bottom line .... I don't "do" anymore MS updates or patches ... My OS's are all working ....(with the exception of Vista SP-2 ) no bugs, and don't have to be concerned any longer about the "MS" patch Merry-go-Round" Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,457 Times in 1,326 Posts
    Fred,

I'm with Clint. Been using MSE & Windows Firewall exclusively for over 6 Months on 4 machines (2 DT & 2 LT) w/o incident. My wife & I have been traveling in our Motorhome for the last 2 months connecting to all kinds of public hotspots w/o incident also. If not for MSE I'd be using AVG & Comodo. I continue to use MalwareBytes every couple of weeks for a double check.

Regards,
    May the Forces of good computing be with you!

RG

PowerShell & VBA Rule!

My Systems: Desktop Specs
    Laptop Specs

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by RetiredGeek View Post
    Fred,

I'm with Clint. Been using MSE & Windows Firewall exclusively for over 6 Months on 4 machines (2 DT & 2 LT) w/o incident. My wife & I have been traveling in our Motorhome for the last 2 months connecting to all kinds of public hotspots w/o incident also. If not for MSE I'd be using AVG & Comodo. I continue to use MalwareBytes every couple of weeks for a double check.

Regards,
    Hi Geekster,
    Ok...fair enough, but.... after looking at my 2011 Norton "screen shot" (and comments ) how does MSE measure up ? can it do half of what Norton 2011 can do? Regards Fred
    PlainFred

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ok...fair enough, but.... after looking at my 2011 Norton "screen shot" (and comments ) how does MSE measure up ? can it do half of what Norton 2011 can do?
    Hey, if it works it works, and I've heard nothing but good things about Norton antivirus 2010 and 2011. These are not the bloated oinkers of Norton's past like the suites and "360" junk. Should never ask or try to "measure" up though; that's how the a/v companies got into bogging down computers in the first place; by trying to "measure" up and have one more checkbox of protection than the competition instead of just being as effective as possible and as light on resources as possible.

I haven't ongoingly (is that a word?) run anything a-v related on some systems for years and updating has been piecemeal at best. Once in a while, maybe twice a year now I'll run malwarebytes and superantispyware, one returns zero files infected and the other finds the adware cookies and that's it. It's not your a-v that's protecting you...it's you. You all know suspicious activity when you see it, you've got extensions turned on (which Windows comes with turned off to this very day) so you see the full file name, you know not to click on unsafe attachments or how to check them before you do, some sort of safe website browser is running...and a dozen other little things that you all do that you hardly even think about anymore but that are the difference between someone getting infected periodically or all the time and never.

As long as the brain behind the malware can't outsmart me, it can't get onboard, if it does then a-v might help, or very likely will not as well. Its a much weaker secondary defense. Even if it were not so, there are still very simple methods for controlling viruses without a-v. I use it differently, but SteadyState could be used as an impenetrable defense and only costs a little extra in boot times and disk space usage. Oh wait a minute, SteadyState was dropped from Vista and Win7 so you'll have to go for a third party solution in that case (jab jab )

So when I see "measure up," I think whatever, it is of very little importance when taken as a whole. A-V is the security blanket, I am the hammer.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Byron Tarbox View Post
    Hey, if it works it works, and I've heard nothing but good things about Norton antivirus 2010 and 2011. These are not the bloated oinkers of Norton's past like the suites and "360" junk. Should never ask or try to "measure" up though; that's how the a/v companies got into bogging down computers in the first place; by trying to "measure" up and have one more checkbox of protection than the competition instead of just being as effective as possible and as light on resources as possible.
    Byron,
    Hello... Why not "compare"? ( measure up ) How else can we make an informed decision ? Just like comparing "Acronis Imaging" software to the "Windows Backup and Restore Blah Blah "..... It doesn't even come close. If i had the time i would remove it from my PC ! And the "light on resources" What would i care?... am i using my PC to calculate payload and escape velocity's to launch space shuttles So ... you should compare everything and see how you software of choice "measures up" against the so called "MSE" MS Blah Blah ( should really be called "Mickey MouSE")
    Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    It seems surprising that you are so derogatory about free antivirus programs like Avast and Avira AntiVir, which always come pretty high in the Virus Bulletin tests?

And small businesses with 10 or fewer PCs will be pleased with the news that Microsoft Security Essentials will be available to them in October...
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks
    Generally Fred and I agree on most things. I do like and use Acronis heavily. I do use CCleaner and JV16 (recently downloaded the trial version). We seem to be on the same wavelength.

My opinion on AV/AM is that you must be comfortable with your security choices. You must think they are working the best they can for you. Every PC is different. What works best for me may not work best for Fred, or Byron, or BATcher. If Fred likes his Nortton and is comfortable with it then this is the best option for him, period.

That said, I do disagree about the dispareging remarks about the free AV offerings. Norton works for Fred and that's great, but others of us like a different option. That's our right as the owners of our PCs. Yes, most are not as full featured as the 3rd party apps (remember the discussions on imaging apps) but they do the trick for those using them. I also use MSE and consider it very effective. It provides real time AV and AM protection. I also do periodic scans with other AM apps as a backup, but they do not run in real time. This is what I feel comfortable with at this time. As I said, a person has to be comfortable with their security options. What works for you is what is best for you. The dispareging remarks may give a new visitor the wrong impression of these fantastic forums we are all a part of.

Well I guess that's enough of a rant for today. Cheers (mug o java this am) Ted
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BATcher View Post
    It seems surprising that you are so derogatory about free antivirus programs like Avast and Avira AntiVir, which always come pretty high in the Virus Bulletin tests?

And small businesses with 10 or fewer PCs will be pleased with the news that Microsoft Security Essentials will be available to them in October...
    BATcher,
    Hello... It's not that the "AV" programs are bad .... It's just that the "free versions " don't offer what the "pay for" versions do. Most will use these "freebies" along side their "Micky MSE " security and think that there free programs are really doing the job. .... Why bother ? So far no one has addressed my questions , and all i hear is drum beat of "MS" hyperbole . I restate How does your "Security" "MSE" , "Freebie" measure up against Norton Internet Security 2011? Ie: what can you do with it ? how much can it be configured ? what cutting edge features does it have so on, and so on. Come on Guys\ Gals "how bout" some answers? From what i see not much, other than staying on the "patch to patch patches merry-go-round.
    Regards Fred
    PS: I believe that the 3rd party security programs ( like Norton 2011) are the driving force that made "MS" come up with their "MSE"in the first place , which in my opinion is still way behind them.

Ted,
    Hello.... since when is telling someone the truth considered "disparaging" Heaven forbid....someone might read these exchanges and start thinking for themselves. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

Thanks
    To each his own, I say! I would expect "pay-for" software to deliver. (And so far, what I have "paid for" does!) However, if the "free" stuff works for you, why not use it? (Personally, I use Ghost 15 for backups and Norton 2011 for security instead of, for example, Acronis True Image (highly spoken of in this forum) and any of the other paid for, or free, security packages out there: Why? It's what I choose to do!

What's good about this forum though, is that one gets to read other Loungers points of view and, if you so wish, be inspired to try out alternative software/techniques and possibly therafter change your own stance with respect to a particuler issue. GREAT! It all contributes to one's growth.

Please keep the arguments/critique coming.
    (My Setup: Custom built: 4.00GHz Intel Core i7-6700K CPU; MSI Z170A Gaming Carbon Motherboard (Military Class III); Win 10 Pro (64 bit)-(UEFI-booted); 16GB RAM; 512GB SAMSUNG SD850 PRO SSD; 120GB SAMSUNG 840 SSD; Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; 2 X GeForceGTX 1070 8GB Graphics Card (SLI); Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2017 Premium, Norton Internet Security, VMWare Workstation12 Pro). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). Samsung 24" Curved HD Monitor.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred J Usack View Post
    I restate How does your "Security" "MSE" , "Freebie" measure up against Norton Internet Security 2011?
    MSE does not compare to all the features that Norton claims. It is not intended to compare to an all-in-one suite. It is intended to provide free, basic anti-virus and anti-malware protection. That is all. With its past legal history Microsoft must be very careful about products that it produces and how they compete (or don't compete) with third party offerings. By producing a basic product they leave room for other vendors such as Symantec, McAfee, Trend, etc. to offer products that bundle more funtionality.

As stated before if Norton works for you, that is great. Others choose to use a different approach. I don't think it is of any value to have a product "phoning home" every hour or even more frequently than that. If you do that is fine too. I'm not exactly sure what some of the other "features" do in the screenshot from your first post.

You may not be installing Microsoft patches but you still are on someones else's patch cycle. Symantec and every other vendor has a history of releasing the occasional bad patch. This is getting very repetitive. Maybe if you did not mess around so much with your systems trying to remove this and that without knowing the consequences you might not have so much trouble with Microsoft patches.

You ought to read some of the articles at Securitycritics.org. The security software vendors have preyed upon fear to build a business. The model they have is great for milking money but not so good at really protecting you.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    I agree with JoeP. MS has gotten into serious legal trouble in the past for attempting to develope apps into their OS that will compete feature for feature with 3rd party apps. That is probably the real reason that Win 7 Backup and Restore is a very basic app. Also if I'm not mistaken, MSE was developed from a 3rd party app that was purchased by MS, at least I believe I read that somewhere. Look at the mess Win 7 is in Europe. MS is not even allowed to include their browser in Win 7 for purchase there. For AV protection and AM protection I believe MSE does a fantastic job. No it does not include a firewall, but then MS Win 7 does include what is considered a relatively good firewall so a 3rd party firewall is not needed. I guess I do not see a reason to need the extra features that a 3rd party app would give me for my security situation. I do feel comfortable with my security scheme.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why not "compare"? ( measure up ) How else can we make an informed decision ?
    All I'm saying is that is exactly how we got into the whole "the cure (a/v protection) is worse than the disease (malware)" of bloated, overloaded computers. True effectivity and resource cost is MUCH MUCH harder to compare from one system to the next because there are other factors which can easily overwhelm a/v software, namely, the user's habits and even the somewhat scientificly conducted comparisons can't account for these actions, they can only measure them one to another in a static environment at a single moment in time.

So yes, it can be an informed decision but its like reading the middle pages of a book and making an informed decision both about the introduction and conclusion of the book; its only part of the picture. After all, I know how to stop any virus dead in its tracks, 100% of the time, without a stitch of a-v protection; where does that fit into the a-v comparison? It doesn't and yet its more effective than any of them.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    For anyone who wants to buy Symantec Internet Security 2011 1u/3pc for $39.99

Symantec Internet Security 2011 1u/3pc

Note the Promo Code.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast