Thread: Sleep Disrupted

Lounger
    Thanks
    I leave my Win7 64 in sleep or hibernate over night on battery. Often in the morning it is running. It is because Windows has been checking for updates and sometimes installs them. I have the update schedule set for 6 pm! Is there a way that I can prevent this Sony Viao from waking up?

Thanks, Bruce

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Hi Bruce,

You might want to consider changing your Windows Update from automatic on a set schedule, and instead select "Check for updates but let me choose whether to download and install them.

Also, go to Control Panel (change Icon View to Large or Small icons)> System> Device Manager> expand network adapters> Right click on each adapter and select Properties> click the Power Management tab> be sure there is a check in the box beside Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power.
    Also be sure to clear the check in the box beside Allow this device to wake the computer.

I have the above settings implemented on my laptop and never find it awake in the morning.

Hope this helps.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, Gerald,

My device managers were set as you stated. I changed the Win update and will see what happens.

Thanks
    I had that happen and found that it was Windows Media Player trying to update.
    I disabled the auto update on WMP and the problem is gone.
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Thanks
    Some of these commands may be of assistance in tracking sleep relatred PC issues down if it persists...

Sleepmode troubleshooters may provide information on what device is keeping your os from sleeping soundly:
    powercfg -ENERGY
    (Evaluation of energy efficiency and errors)
    powercfg lastwake
    (what had Waken Up Windows Last)
    powercfg -a
    (Checks available sleep states for your computer)
    powercfg -devicequery wake_armed
    (List devices that can wake up your computer)
    powercfg -devicedisablewake "exact name of device"
    powercfg -deviceenablewake "exact name of device"
    (disable and re-enable listed device: Respectively)

Copy and past the above in an elevated command prompt.

The above info has been provided by the Vista Forums

Another decent site
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Windows 8.1, 64 bit
    Motherboard: DX58SO2*Chipset: X58 Express/Intel ICH10*BIOS: SOX5820J.86A.0888.2012.0129.2203*Processor: Intel Core i7 CPU X 990
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 580*Memory: Corsair 12 GB, 4x3@1600*PSU: Corsair HX1000*Hard drives: REVO X2 160GB*OCZ VERT X3 120GB*5 mechanical storage drives (12 TB) total.

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banya Rola View Post
    I had that happen and found that it was Windows Media Player trying to update.
    I disabled the auto update on WMP and the problem is gone.
    I don't see how to do this. There does not seem to be a place to click. Help

Thanks
    Here's the link to where I found it...http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-wi...-automatically
    "If You Are Reading This In English, Thank A VET"

Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Banya Rola View Post
    Here's the link to where I found it...http://www.thewindowsclub.com/fix-wi...-automatically
    Thanks for this. It is a great website. It is amazing how complicated a computer is. I found what I needed, and you were right that it was the Windows Media Center that was interrupting the sleep.