5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hello.

I just found this in my machine :

[attachment=90182:64bit.jpg]

I have all 32-bit apps on this Acer, could I use the 64-bit version ? How can it say that it is 64-bit capable ???

I am stirring the pot ! Have a great day. Jean.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Parrot View Post
    Hello.

I just found this in my machine :

[attachment=90182:64bit.jpg]

I have all 32-bit apps on this Acer, could I use the 64-bit version ? How can it say that it is 64-bit capable ???

I am stirring the pot ! Have a great day. Jean.
    Jean, Good morning.

If the system is 64 Bit capable then yes you can upgrade to 64 Bit, but I believe you would have to clean install. Another consideration is that all peripherals would have to have 64 Bit drivers to install. All your 32 Bit apps should work fine in a 64 Bit environment. I have both on my system:

[attachment=90183:32bit64bitprograms.png]

Once you clean install your OS, you will have to reinstall all your apps. This will give you the opportunity to upgrade any app that has a 64 Bit alternative, or a newer version. Good Luck!

Ted
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Administrator
    Thanks
    Almost all modern processor are 64-bit capable. Windows is just reporting what capabilities the hardware is saying it has.

You could install the 64-bit version of Windows but that would require a clean install and then you'd have to reinstall all your other application programs.

If you choose to do this make sure you have a complete backup of your system before you start. Also, make sure there are 64-bit drivers available for your system and all its components.

Joe

Thanks
    The first 64 bit CPU for consumers was the AMD Athlon 64 in 2003. The first Intel 64 bit CPU for consumers was the 600 series Pentium 4 released in 2004. Earlier Pentium 4 CPUs were 32 bit. The release of those two CPUs pretty much put an end to 32 bit CPUs for laptops and desktops.

A good number of netbooks use a 32 bit Atom processor, although there are some Atom CPU series that are 64 bit. I have seen in print that desktops running Atom processors use the 64 bit Atom CPU, while many netbooks have been using the 32 bit Atom. Netbooks will all probably be moved to the 64 bit Atom in coming days.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I sure got three big honchoes to come back to my request. Thanks.

Now the next question is : I do have a 64 bit Win se7en DVD here, will it run with my previous license keys or will I have to invest in a new Windows DVD ? As it is, this Acer runs good as could be, there is obviously some advantages in moving over to Seven-64; the last question is : is it worth the hassle ? I have a Toshiba running 64 bit and it is not a much faster machine than this Acer.

You all be good. Jean.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jean Parrot View Post
    I sure got three big honchoes to come back to my request. Thanks.

Now the next question is : I do have a 64 bit Win se7en DVD here, will it run with my previous license keys or will I have to invest in a new Windows DVD ? As it is, this Acer runs good as could be, there is obviously some advantages in moving over to Seven-64; the last question is : is it worth the hassle ? I have a Toshiba running 64 bit and it is not a much faster machine than this Acer.

You all be good. Jean.
    Did you originally purchase a retail version of Win 7? If you did they generally come with both 32 Bit and 64 Bit disks. You can install one or the other but not both at the same time. The original key should work for both, but as I say only one version can be activated at a time.
    You will have to decide if the 64 Bit version is worth the effort. My belief is that in the future things will become clearer as more apps are written or updated to take advantage of the 64 Bit OS. Is it worth it now??? Who knows more than you.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, hello.

This Acer benefited from a free DVD upgrade and I just had a look at it and it is 32-bit only.
    Looking at the upgrade destined to the Toshiba laptop, it says 32 and 64 versions as you mentioned. The remaining question is whether it will load and run on the Acer using the Acer's own keys. Still debating this.
    I would do a clone for sure afore I attempt this at all. A clone is always better than a backup. . Jean.

Administrator
    Thanks
    You've not stated whether you know if 64-bit drivers are available for the system. With only 2GB RAM you are not able to take advantage of the biggest 64-bit feature - the ability to access more RAM than 32-bit Windows. Without more RAM you may find that 64-bit Windows runs slightly slower than 32-bit on your system. If you don't have a good reason to run 64-bit Windows I recommend you leave it alone. You've already stated it runs well.

Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    running 64 bit and it is not a much faster machine
    64-bit does nothing for speed, it is for expansion and size. There is a ceiling we can sometimes see now with 32-bit systems. 64-bit will raise that ceiling to where its invisible for the forseeable future. All data still has to get broken down into binary to be processed so that's why we are seeing more and more cores per CPU to get both speed and manage thermal properties of such activity.

As a consumer, I process enormous files in excess of 35 gigs while gaming online with just a good 32-bit gaming system (not great by any means) and have absolutely no slowdowns or restricitons due to the 32-bit system (the benefits of multi-core, mutli-tasking).

Someday in the future that will change and a 32-bit system will not be adequate for many things but I have no idea when that will be. Ted says why not be prepared for that, I say whatever, makes no difference to me as long as it doesn't cost the user more and they realize no benefit may be realized in the short or long term. I like having 100% compatibility with everything else I have integrated into the network and have as peripherals and may add in the future. For instance my NAS software is incompatible with 64-bit, I can still access the NAS servers but not with the easy access software, little things like that that are sprinkled everywhere and are just a minor nusiance but add up.

Now if I were an IT guy for a large servers, jeez it would be nothing but 64-bit because one can build some truly monsterous servers and they would otherwise be restricted by the ceiling of a 32-bit system. Essentially one can put 4 or more computers into one and 64-bit can handle that whereas 32-bit cannot.

Thanks
    Jean,

Joe has very valid points, and he beat me to the post on them. Also, by the time you really will need 64 bit, you will probably be buying a new laptop.

Another point is if Acer supplied the Windows 7 Upgrade for your Acer laptop, then it would still be tied to the OEM license, and if you replace it with Win7 64 bit, you have just lost a perfectly good Windows 7 32 bit program. You are not supposed to use an OEM disk on a different machine than the one it was originally licensed for. And, if you upgrade your Acer with the Windows 7 upgrade 64 bit you purchased to upgrade your Toshiba, you will not be able to use the other 32 bit in the package to upgrade your Toshiba, as you cannot install both the 32 and 64 bit versions with the same product key on the same or different machines at the same time. One would have to be uninstalled.

I am so slow today that Byron posted his long before I could finish this one.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Ted, good evening.

>>> Did you originally purchase a retail version of Win 7? If you did they generally come with both 32 Bit and 64 Bit disks. You can install one or the other but not both at the same time. The original key should work for both, but as I say only one version can be activated at a time.

They offered before the full RTM, to pre-order a DVD at $52.00. I jumped on it and got two. I gave one to a friend, that DVD indeed has both modes, 32 & 64. If I had known before that this Acer was 64 capable, I would have done that one. No crying over split milk !

>>> You will have to decide if the 64 Bit version is worth the effort. My belief is that in the future things will become clearer as more apps are written or updated to take advantage of the 64 Bit OS. Is it worth it now??? Who knows more than you.

I do not have that much future to really worry about this, if push comes to shove, then I will take that decision. As I said, this Acer is fine as is. this will not prevent me from thanking you for your time. Be good. Jean.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Joe P, hello to you too.

>>> You've not stated whether you know if 64-bit drivers are available for the system. With only 2GB RAM you are not able to take advantage of the biggest 64-bit feature - the ability to access more RAM than 32-bit Windows.

This indeed crossed my mind. I could add some sticks, this one would honour 4 Gs. Even on the 64-bit Toshiba, all my 32-bit stuff run fine, as Ted mentioned. I even run PhotoShop Pro, v.6 and that is an oldie. I got bitten last week. I took my Toshiba to the country where I have a Lexmark printer Z33 and it would not run. The funny part is that here, I have a Z32 and that one runs on the 64-bit machine.

>>> Without more RAM you may find that 64-bit Windows runs slightly slower than 32-bit on your system. If you don't have a good reason to run 64-bit Windows I recommend you leave it alone.

I had this feeling from the start of this tread. My curiosity had to be satisfied.

>>> You've already stated it runs well.

There is not keeping anything secret, hey ? It does run well specially as I do not run Silverlight and such, I do not do games either. I do mostly Word, bank account and such. A little bit of Excel, that is why thisAcer runs fine on 2 Gs of RAM.

Have a great evening. Jean.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Byron, you get my greets too.

>>> Someday in the future that will change and a 32-bit system will not be adequate for many things but I have no idea when that will be.

I also mentioned to Ted that I do not have enough future to really worry about it. ( 78, shhhh! )

>>> I like having 100% compatibility with everything else I have integrated into the network and have as peripherals and may add in the future. For instance my NAS software is incompatible with 64-bit, I can still access the NAS servers but not with the easy access software, little things like that that are sprinkled everywhere and are just a minor nusiance but add up.

NAS ? Something to do with a network ? All I have here is a LAN and it does me right. I at times, will "Ultr@VNC" wiht my brother 300 m away, not such a large network.

>>> Now if I were an IT guy for a large servers, jeez it would be nothing but 64-bit because one can build some truly monsterous servers and they would otherwise be restricted by the ceiling of a 32-bit system. Essentially one can put 4 or more computers into one and 64-bit can handle that whereas 32-bit cannot.

I get you fine. I homebrewed a few machines but nothing of the sort.

Are you worried about Fluxnet ? Be good. Jean.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gerald, hi.

>>> Also, by the time you really will need 64 bit, you will probably be buying a new laptop.

I doubt it, I would be pulling daysies by the roots.

>>> Another point is if Acer supplied the Windows 7 Upgrade for your Acer laptop, then it would still be tied to the OEM license, and if you replace it with Win7 64 bit, you have just lost a perfectly good Windows 7 32 bit program.

This Acer was running very fine on Vista but the lust of something new got to me. I wrote to Ted that there was a prior to RTM offer of a DVD for $52.00 and I got one. This DVD is good for 32 -bits only. I just looked at it. I forget if there was a choice !

>>> You are not supposed to use an OEM disk on a different machine than the one it was originally licensed for. And, if you upgrade your Acer with the Windows 7 upgrade 64 bit you purchased to upgrade your Toshiba, you will not be able to use the other 32 bit in the package to upgrade your Toshiba, as you cannot install both the 32 and 64 bit versions with the same product key on the same or different machines at the same time. One would have to be uninstalled.

Not OEM, Gerald, I put up good money for it, not much but still good. I understand the license and the © on this OS, I was only wondering if I used the keys on the uninstalled 32-bit after installing the 64-bit version, just wondering as I am not about to do this. I am still looking for this Family offer of three licenses DVD, not offered here yet, north of the 45th.

>>> I am so slow today that Byron posted his long before I could finish this one.

Not in the least like you, I hope that there is no problem with your health. Jean.