3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have been running Win XP SP3 on my desktop machine for 3 years without any errors at all. I decided to install a larger HDD and do a new install of Win XP SP2, then the SP3 CD. Install keeps crashing at various stages with a Blue Screen message about Stop Error '0X0000009c (30 more characters). I can restart in safe mode then normal mode, but even when Windows actuallly starts, it fails soon after with the same stop error. I have disconnected all network conections, printers etc during the install and nothing except screen, tower, mouse and keyboard were in place. the Microsoft site suggests sending them an error message, but as the machine is dead at that stage, that's not possible. Apart from junking a perfectly good machine, I am totally stuck, and any suggestons would be greatly appreciated!
    David P - The Truth Is In Redmond

Thanks
    You may want to start by running, in boot mode preferably, the diagnostic tool of the drive's manufacturer.
    Recieving a bad drive from time to time can happen, and the quicker you can figure it out, the sooner you can effect an RMA, if possible.
    You can also put your old one back in, if you havn't reformated it, and run diagnostics while the new one is in a secondary configuration.
    Are they SATA or IDE drives?
    What is the make and model of the new drive?
    Can you provide more information on the error message?
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for the contact. My drives are IDE. the exact error message is 'Stop Error 0X0000009C (0X00000004 0X80545FF0 0XB2000000 0X00070F0F)'. I did not take particular notice of the text above it - to the effect that Win had shutdown the machine to prevent damage etc. The new drive (WD800JB) has been running Windows as a backup (clone) drive for about a year. My existing Win XP SP3 runs perfectly on my other WD800

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dpollock View Post
    ...... The new drive (WD800JB) has been running Windows as a backup (clone) drive for about a year. My existing Win XP SP3 runs perfectly on my other WD800
    When the "new drive" was used as a backup, the jumpers may have been set as slave. Did you change the jumpers to Master?

The two drives look to be both 80 GB. Is this true?

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    No Problem with jumpers. I always run either disk as Primary Master, and only move jumpers when making a backup. I have just run an extended diagnostic on both WD Caviar drives and no problems were found. In any case, the 'new' drive had all partitions and data removed and a new partition set up by the Windows Install CD

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Why not just make a true clone of the working drive to the "new drive"?
    That way the "new drive" will be a bootable Win XP SP3.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    The old drive works OK, but my habit of many years is to rebuild Windows every 2-3 Years. Also, this stop error may point to some kind of hardware fault in the machine, which needs fixing in case ti wrecks the existing (working) drive

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    There are lots of opinions on the net for your Stop Error .....

Try this...... Google results for that error

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have followed up all the links you sent. They mostly seeem to agree on some kind of hardware error. The puzzle is, why on a totally new installation of XP, with no external devices connected, but not on my current installation, which has never given any kind of error? What do you think?

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I noticed that several of the responses related to problems when installing XP SP2. Some indicate an issue with BOOT.INI changes that need to be made when installing XP SP2.

The "new drive" has been running OK for a year. Now, that the "new drive" has had all backup info removed, can it still write backup info? Extended diagnostics has been run on the "new drive" without any issues. I would suspect something other than drive problems.

Do you have an external drive available for backup?

On the lighter side ...
    If it ain't broke, why fix it?