4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi,

I am running Windows 7 Pro on an HP Envy 17 notebook. I have two Canon printers. The Pixma MX870 I would like to connect wirelessly and the Image Glass I would like to connect via usb. Can this be done? Thank you.

Thanks
    I have a Canon Pixma 620 that is wired via cable to my wireless router. I then connect wireless from both of our laptops to the printer. There are plenty of drivers and software for your 870 at the Canon USA web site.

Before I connected the printer to the router with an ethernet cable, I could connect, but it was laborious. Once I used the ethernet cable between the printer and router, all I had to do was load the drivers in each laptop and let the software do it's thing. Simple.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    A lot of printers will not work if they are connected through a hub, and require a direct connection.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thank you Ted and Dave for your responses.

Now Ted, if I read your response correctly, you connected two laptops to one printer. What I want to do is connect one laptop to two printers; one connection being via USB and the other connection wirelessly. I do not know enough about computers at the present to discern if your response implies yes or no.

Dave, you said that many printers will not work "if they are connected through a hub, and require a direct connection." Does my wanting to connect my laptop directly to one printer via a USB port and to another printer wirelessly suggest a hub? If it does, can you explain to me how?

Again, thank you for your responses.

Thanks
    Without wanting to confuse the issue: I have connected two printers to the same PC with two seperate USB cables (an older inkjet and a new colour laser), so it seems to me that connecting one printer with a USB cable and another via wireless should not be a problem (assuming, of course that the second printer and the PC are both "wireless-capable"!). One of the two printers would then have to be selected and set as the "default". That should be "it".

Edit: Let us know how you get on by posting back here after you have "done it".
    (My Setup: 3,70GHz Intel Core i7-4820K CPU; MSI Military Class iii X79A-GD45 Plus Motherboard; Win 8.1 Pro (64 bit); 16GB RAM; SAMSUNG SD840 PRO SSD (6GB/SATA III); Seagate 2TB Barracuda SATA6G HDD; GeForceGTX 980 4GB Graphics Card; Office 2013 Prof (32-bit); MS Project 2013 (32-bit); Acronis TI 2014 Premium, NIS 2015, etc). WD My Book 3 1TB USB External Backup Drive). (UEFI-booted)

Thanks
    The Canon printer can be connected as I suggested in post #2. Since I do not know the other printer, I would say that if it has a USB conn. and if it has Win 7 64 Bit Drivers (I'm sorry, after re-reading your initial post, you do not say if you have your Win 7 Pro set up as 32 Bit or 64 Bit. Either way you will need drivers of the same Bitness as the OS.) , then yes you should be able to conn. it through your USB port on your PC
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by moon1130 View Post
    Hi,

I am running Windows 7 Pro on an HP Envy 17 notebook. I have two Canon printers. The Pixma MX870 I would like to connect wirelessly and the Image Glass I would like to connect via usb. Can this be done? Thank you.
    If your Pixma MX870 has wireless capability built in then you should have no trouble using it with your laptop. When you refer to connecting via usb, if you mean you are direct connected to the Image Glass printer via USB rather than remotely over your home network, then there should be no problem. You should be able to use either printer.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill