2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a HP PC (Vista 32bit) with a blown motherboard. I am replacing the processor also. Since I have the original single hard drive (c: was reformatted; D: is original recovery) and the two recovery cd's I created when new, will I be able to boot with the cd and use the D recovery partition to reinstall Windows? If I do get it installed, will Microsoft recognize/authenticate it? If I can't get it installed, how can I get Microsoft to authenticate Windows 7 as an upgrade or will I NEED the full version? I feel like I am over my head so if you can suggest other problems and their answers I may incur, please advise.
    Thanks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hillebrand View Post
    I have a HP PC (Vista 32bit) with a blown motherboard. I am replacing the processor also. Since I have the original single hard drive (c: was reformatted; D: is original recovery) and the two recovery cd's I created when new, will I be able to boot with the cd and use the D recovery partition to reinstall Windows? If I do get it installed, will Microsoft recognize/authenticate it? If I can't get it installed, how can I get Microsoft to authenticate Windows 7 as an upgrade or will I NEED the full version? I feel like I am over my head so if you can suggest other problems and their answers I may incur, please advise.
    Thanks!
    Do you have the key for the OS? It is probably an OEM key. You may have to call MS to reactivate after reloading the OS. It may be easier to restore from the recovery disks. Because you will have a new MB and CPU, the OS will consider this a new PC and thus the call to MS to reactivate the OEM OS. MS Support allows contact through email, support site and phone. The phone will be the quickest. I have called MS on 2 occasions in the past for similar reasons and had very few problems. If you contact them ahead of time the tech support people may be able to help with the reinstall.

One other option I would consider in your shoes would be an upgrade to Win 7. Check it out. You will be happy with the upgrade.

Another suggestion, no matter what OS you end up with, create images to allow restoration much quicker than reinstallation. I create a new image when ever a change takes place on my PC.
    BACKUP...BACKUP...BACKUP
    Have a Great Day! Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 GHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 8 GB RAM, 320 GB HD
    Win 8 Pro (64 Bit), IE 10 (64 Bit)

Complete PC Specs: By Speccy

Gold Lounger
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Hillebrand View Post
    Thanks!
    Paul,
    Hello... If you have the "Recovery Partition" D: (still intact) replace the mother board and CPU and try booting up and select the Recovery option, and follow the screens. (on my old Vista OS) Hit F-11 to access the recovery partition . It's worth a try and may work ... if it doesn't then you would have to contact "MS" if it "chokes", but it might work seeing how your using the original HD. Regards Fred
    PlainFred

None are so hopelessly enslaved as those who falsely believe they are free (J. W. Von Goethe)

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    How different is the motherboard? If its not very similar to the previous one you'll probably have some problems with the recovery discs/partition, depends on the exact nature ot the recovery discs/partition. Try them and see how it goes if you want Vista back, otherwise your best bet would be Win7 upgrade. I'm pretty sure that since the recovery partition is still on the hard drive it will recognize that and let you install no problem but there are also ways to perform a clean install with the upgrade disc and you can check out winsupersite and find options for that sort of install.

Thanks
    You should spring for the full Windows 7 version imho and avoid any such questions.

Your operating system will identify with your motherboard & processor to form it's hardware identification, not your HDD.
    OEM's may go even further and include the BIOS in this process of identification.
    Any change would amount to loss of recognition of previous hardware identification and prompt an activation queue from the os. In otherword, you have
    a totally differnet system from your previous one and quite possibly even if you replaced with a similar motherboard.

You may, however get by with calling MS to reactivate Vista, then proceed to upgrade to Windows 7 with a Windows 7 upgrade disk.
    It's possible as well that you may not experience any difficulty doing a clean install of a Windows 7 upgrade media, as the licensing is somewhat vague
    and open to much interpretation. It may be hit or miss.
    DRIVE IMAGING
    Invest a little time and energy in a well thought out BACKUP regimen and you will have minimal down time, and headache.

Build your own system; get everything you want and nothing you don't.
    Latest Build:
    ASUS X99 Deluxe, Core i7-5960X, Corsair Hydro H100i, Plextor M6e 256GB M.2 SSD, Corsair DOMINATOR Platinum 32GB DDR4@2666, W8.1 64 bit,
    EVGA GTX980, Seasonic PLATINUM-1000W PSU, MountainMods U2-UFO Case, and 7 other internal drives.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    It's possible as well that you may not experience any difficulty doing a clean install of a Windows 7 upgrade media, as the licensing is somewhat vague
    and open to much interpretation

My experience is that if the recovery partition is intact on a system, Win 7 upgrade has never been questioned (it knows!). And the licensing is indeed a bit vague as intended but nonetheless has to allow for your situation because of the following: Say you had upgraded to Win 7 before the mobo failed. Then what are you supposed to do, buy another full version? Hell no, its not the way it works. Microsoft has to allow for hardware failure and it does not matter one bit if it failed before the upgrade or after, only that you indeed had a legitimate version of XP or Vista on there before the hardware failure. Its that simple. One would be crazy to buy a suggested price OS when the upgrade is already priced at retail (again that is why the suggested price is out there....Microsoft knows exactly what they are doing...it would be different if they did not own such a commanding market share) and one can somehow think that because of hardware failure, an upgrade isn't legitimate. Heck its more than crazy, its moronic as well.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the suggestins. Since this computer is for my daughter, she purchased Windows 7 from the school bookstore ($7) but it is a upgrade copy. It would not install but a 45 minute conversation with Microsoft is all it took. They were VERY helpful and understanding.