Thread: SBS 2003

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I am using SBS 2003 with Exchange to host our e-mail. The problem i am having is i am getting a few e-mails bounced back to me.
    The reason i get is Reverse DNS FAILED and Reverse DNS does not match SMTP Banner

I am not sure how to correct this problem.
    I have a static ip for my server and a PTR record that my isp setup for me that points to my exchange server
    but when i do a a reverse dns on my static ip it points to my website which has a different ip

I also use a spam service that has my MX records and also have a SPF record setup.

How do I fix this?

Regards,
    Jeff

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Does your email go from your server to your SPAM service or do you send direct? I assume direct.
    One problem with rDNS is you cannot use an external outbound filter service.

The rDNS entry is manual so you can either change the entry or change your Exchange domain identifier to match your web site, but the former is best.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    Hi Paul,

That is correct. I send directly from my exchange. My mail comes in through my spam service but not out through it. My mx records point to my spam service.
    I do have a rDNS that my isp created that points to my server.When i do a reverse lookup of my staic ip on my server it points to my server.

But If i do a a reverse lookup of my FQDN that it is in my smtp virtual server it points to my website that is hosted offsite.

Most of the time my e-mails get delivered but now it seems more often that people are doing rDNS.

Reagrds,
    Jeff

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You need to do the rDNS off-site, otherwise you are just reading your local DNS on the server.
    I use www.nwtools.com. Put your IP in, tick the DNS box and click GQ!.

cheers, Paul

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have already done that.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Then you need to have a word with your ISP about the incorrect rDNS entry.

cheers, Paul