Thread: Shockwave files

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a .swf file on my PC but trying to open it by double clicking resulys in a error message "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.Create ana association in the Folder Options control panel". Can anyone explain how to do this? I have the latest Adobe Shockwave player installed, but cannot locate the .exe file for it.

Thanks
    Quote from Wikipedia;The file format[1] SWF, is an abbreviation for "ShockWave Flash", or a retronym for "Small Web Format".[citation needed] It is a partially open repository for Adobe Flash multimedia, vector graphics and ActionScript, originating with FutureWave Software, then transferred to Macromedia, and then coming under the control of Adobe. Intended to be small enough for publication on the web, SWF files can contain animations or applets of varying degrees of interactivity and function.

SWF currently[update] functions as the dominant format for displaying "animated" vector graphics on the Web. It may also be used for programs, commonly games, using ActionScript.

SWF files can be generated from within several Adobe products: Flash, Flash Builder (an IDE), as well as through MXMLC, a command line application compiler which is part of the freely available Flex SDK. Other than Adobe products, SWFs can be built with open source Motion-Twin ActionScript 2 Compiler (MTASC), the open source Ming library, the free software suite SWFTools, the proprietary SWiSH Max2. There are also various third party programs that can produce files in this format, such as Multimedia Fusion 2, Captivate, or SWiSH Max. You might be better off to uninstall your shockwave player with Rev uninstall free program here;Cnet. Just delete the .swf file most likely it will not show up on the revo uninstall program.So just right click on it then delete it.Then of course reinstall your shockwave player.
    Problems cannot be solved by the same level of thinking that created them. -Albert Einsten

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I do not understand why I should want to uninstall and then reinstall my shockwave player. And I certainly cannot see the logic in deleting the .swf file. After all, as I said in my original post, I merely want to play it.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by philkiwi View Post
    I have a .swf file on my PC but trying to open it by double clicking resulys in a error message "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.Create ana association in the Folder Options control panel".
    I generally drag and drop the swf on a browser window or tab and use the plugin to play it.

If you prefer a separate media player, I think the free VLC player will play SWFs.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Thanks, jscher2000, I dragged the file onto an IE window and it started playing without any further input from me. I don't understand how (LOL). But there doesn't seem to be any way of moving forward or back through the file. Incidentally, I downloaded and installed VLC but it does not support SWF files.

Thanks
    Thanks, jscher2000, I dragged the file onto an IE window and it started playing without any further input from me. I don't understand how (LOL). But there doesn't seem to be any way of moving forward or back through the file.
    When an SWF is embedded into a web page, there usually are several parameters set, including the height and width, whether it should automatically play, and sometimes how the controls should appear. Unfortunately, this information is not saved with the SWF file itself. If you can find the original page, you could copy out that part of the code, but it might be more effort than it's worth...

New Lounger
    Thanks
    I have a .swf file on my PC but trying to open it by double clicking resulys in a error message "This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action.Create ana association in the Folder Options control panel". Can anyone explain how to do this? I have the latest Adobe Shockwave player installed, but cannot locate the .exe file for it.
    A permament solution in Windows 7.
    1. Click Start Orb.
    2. Type <file association>.
    3. Choose: <Make a file type always open in a specific program>.
    4. In the new window scroll to <.swf>, highlight it.
    5. Upper right part of window click: <Change program>.
    6. Choose or find <Shockwave>. Assign it. Done.