Thread: DNS

Thanks
    My 2 PC's (laptop Vista, desktop W7, both Home Premium) access the internet via a router programmed to use OpenDNS. Have you any information on whether to disable the DNS Client in 'Services'
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts
    I'd leave the DNS client alone. Here's the description from the services applet:

"The DNS Client service (dnscache) caches Domain Name System (DNS) names and registers the full computer name for this computer. If the service is stopped, DNS names will continue to be resolved. However, the results of DNS name queries will not be cached and the computer's name will not be registered. If the service is disabled, any services that explicitly depend on it will fail to start."

If you disable DNS caching that can slow down your browsing as your PC will be forced to query a DNS server which takes time.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks
    Joe, this also prompted my question.
    -
    Editors Note: in most cases a large HOSTS file (over 135 kb) tends to slow down the machine.

To resolve this issue (manually) open the "Services Editor"

• Start | Run (type) "services.msc" (no quotes)
    • Scroll down to "DNS Client", Right-click and select: Properties - click Stop
    • Click the drop-down arrow for "Startup type"
    • Select: Manual (recommended) or Disabled click Apply/Ok and restart. [more info]
    When set to Manual you can see that the above "Service" is not needed (after a little browsing - when set to Manual) by opening the Services Editor again, scroll down to DNS Client and check the "Status" column. It should be blank, if it was needed it would show "Started" in that column. There are several Utilities that can reset the DNS Client for you ... [more info]

Editors Note: The above instructions are intended for a single (home-user) PC. If your machine is part of a "Domain", check with your IT Dept. before applying this work-around. This especially applies to Laptop users who travel or bring their work machines home. Make sure to reset the Service (if needed) prior to connecting (reboot required) to your work Domain ...

Important! If you are using Network Discovery then the DNS Client service is required and should not be set to either Manual or Disabled.

Possible Workaround for using the MVPS HOSTS file and leaving the DNS Client service enabled (set to: Automatic)

• If you find after a period of time that your browser seems sluggish with the DNS Client service enabled you can manually flush the DNS cache
    • Close all browser windows ... open a "Command Prompt" from the Start Menu > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
    • (type) ipconfig /flushdns (press Enter) Then close the Command Prompt ...

Thanks
    Like everything you may want to do with your PC, one person will say "Yes" and the very next person you ask will say "NO".
    On the Black Viper site, which I use as my own guide for what to disable, he says leave it in Automatic mode, unless you're going for "Bare Bones" operation.
    http://www.blackviper.com/WinXP/servicecfg.htm

I like to run a program called "Hosts Manager" and whenever I install it, the first thing it asks me is if it's OK to shut off DNS.
    Since I've seen that advised on many reputable web sites, I always say "Yes". I've never seen any reason to regret that decision.
    That's just one less Service to have running in the background all the time.

But, of course, you'll have to make up your own mind, whether to shut off DNS or not. Why don't you just try it. If you run into
    problems, turn it back on. It's no big deal. Your decision won't be carved in granite.

I'm currently turning off a total of 24 services for Windows XP. Those are all things I don't need or use anyway. My list for Win-7 isn't quite so long, but only because I've not had a chance to research it thoroughly.

Good Luck!

The Doctor
    Experience is truly the best teacher.

Backup! Backup! Backup! GHOST Rocks!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Who View Post
    Like everything you may want to do with your PC, one person will say "Yes" and the very next person you ask will say "NO".
    On the Black Viper site, which I use as my own guide for what to disable, he says leave it in Automatic mode, unless you're going for "Bare Bones" operation.
    http://www.blackvipe.../servicecfg.htm

I like to run a program called "Hosts Manager" and whenever I install it, the first thing it asks me is if it's OK to shut off DNS.
    Since I've seen that advised on many reputable web sites, I always say "Yes". I've never seen any reason to regret that decision.
    That's just one less Service to have running in the background all the time.

But, of course, you'll have to make up your own mind, whether to shut off DNS or not. Why don't you just try it. If you run into
    problems, turn it back on. It's no big deal. Your decision won't be carved in granite.

I'm currently turning off a total of 24 services for Windows XP. Those are all things I don't need or use anyway. My list for Win-7 isn't quite so long, but only because I've not had a chance to research it thoroughly.

Good Luck!

The Doctor
    Hi Dr Who, i have posted this in 2 other forums, which results in your predictions as correct. Your reply is the only one that makes any sense. Thumbs Up points +1