5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When I call the dial up phone number from my teleophone, it makes the sounds that one expects (that fax-like screechy sound). When I connect my phone line to my laptop, however, there is no sound of the dialing of keys and there is no connection sound (that fax-like screechy sound). I then get the message that I was unable to connect.

What is the problem?

I have an HP Pavilion DV2500 with a Standard Modem and with an HDAUDIO Soft Data Fax Modem with SmartCP. Under my internet connections, I set up the Standard Modem for the connection, and it didn't work.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    Sounds like (pardon the pun) you have not connected the phone line correctly. Some phone cables/providers use different pairs. I had this problem moving form Oz to UK and had to hunt around for a cable that would adapt the phone line to my laptop.

cheers, Paul

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Actually, when I use the Soft Data Fax Modem with CP, it works fine. It is the Standard Modem that is giving me problems.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks
    You have 2 modems installed?
    If you have a Soft Data modem use that exclusively, standard modem may not send the correct commands.

cheers, Paul