3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay. I'm frustrated. My Win 2000 machine was running fine, and suddenly just died. (Former Gateway comp-replaced motherboard with ASUS P4P800-MX several years ago). Suspected power supply (the original was only 160watt -- put in new higher wattage power supply ... No apparent change to problem. No beeps from motherboard. Green light on motherboard. ... I can't check on screen codes, because video is apparently not firing up. Blank screen. Built in ATI video on the motherboard. Now what do I try?

Al

Thanks
    Hi Al,

Does the PC power up and go through POST, or is it just dead except for the green light on the motherboard?
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    When the power is switched on. The fans start, including the fan on the CPU. There is a green light on the motherboard. There is the clicking sound of a hard drive being read (presumable boot sector?), But that's it. ... Usually the first thing that shows is the motherboard graphic on screen for a brief moment and then on to other booting up messages. But this is not happening. Nothing is showing on the screen at all.

Normally I would think ... reset the video card ... but can't do that. The video is on the motherboard. ... And, oh yes, on general principles, I took the memory cards out and reset them.

It is still sitting there ... with a dark screen.

Al

Thanks
    Check all other connections in the case. Unplug and reseat the power supply connector, hard disk data and power connectors, and all others. Don't just check for looseness or tight fit. Unplug and reseat. Don't overlook the simple stuff. Unplug and reseat your keyboard and mouse connectors too. Sometimes unplugging a connector and reseating will cause a component to start functioning again. Check your video cable connection from your display to the VGA connection on the PC.

Your old power supply might have been the problem, and it is possible your new power supply arrived "half dead". That is not a "rare" occurrence. If you have a digital multimeter to test the DC output from the power supply, then that would confirm whether it is truly functioning as rated. If you purchased the power supply locally, you might return it for an exchange. From the symptoms you described, power supply is high on the list, but any failed hardware component or loose connection can cause the symptoms.

Watch your keyboard when you power up. If the lights blink on it, then the BIOS is conducting the POST. If POST is not happening, you would not be hearing any beeps or receiving any failure messages. Your motherboard might be be the source of failure.
    Deadeye81

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    All connectors disconnected and reset. Keyboard lights flash green at power up. And all DC appears to be present.

Al

Thanks
    Al, did you use a digital multimeter to check the DC power output from the power supply? As stated before, it could be the power supply, motherboard, or even the CPU that has failed.

There is some disagreement as to whether a dead CMOS battery can prevent a PC from booting. Many say no, and some say yes and have experienced it as a cause of their PC not booting. In any case, it is an inexpensive thing to try. Take your CMOS battery out, go to your local electronics shop or drug store and pick up a replacement battery and see if it has any affect.

Check this thread out for more in depth information concerning the same symptoms you have observed. It is rather lengthy, but much can be gleaned here.
    Deadeye81

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Al, hello.

If you should desire to give your PS a good check, pule the plug from the MoBo and with a "U" shaped sire, connect the green and any black socket together. The green lead is the signal from the power switch to get the electrons to move. Once the PS is energized this way, you can with a multi-meter, verify if all else is fine.

Oh ! There is only on green lead, near the center of the long plug, close to all the black leads.

Have fun. Jean.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Gerald ... the battery shows 2.8 volts. I'm not even sure I can find a new battery in this town. The Source (circuit city) has shut down for renovations. But I'll see what I can find. .. and yes I did use a digital multimeter to measure voltages.

Al

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Jean ... hmmm ... haven't heard that suggestion before. What does that do? By pass the power switch on the front?

Al

Silver Lounger
    Thanks
    Al, good morning.

... haven't heard that suggestion before. What does that do? By pass the power switch on the front?

Yes, that is what it does. If you pull your PS and have it on a bench, you can start it this way and verify all voltages. These PS are "regulated" and will not run-away even with no load on any output. Do get a digital multi-meter with at least two . decimals. Keep one probe into a black connector and move around to all the rest of the colours.

There is only one green ! I do this with any questionable PS. Be good. Jean.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    Okay Jean ... thanks for the explanation. That helps.

Have a fun day.

Al